2021 Skate America: General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: General Info

Carolla5501

On the Ice
My understanding is that they do NOT want you throwing objects on the ice. I am assuming that's because they are trying to not have a big group of kids hanging around unmasked to pick them up. Not sure I have seen that officially however. IT does say that you only get one small clear bag so it would be hard to bring in much to throw. I would be hesitant to buy much assuming you can throw it (And honestly the 'big names' really never even see the stuff. They get it in a bag and then donate it to someplace)

Turns out I am probably going to be in California on my 2nd business trip in 2 years the week before this event. It's a 3 hour drive over and then I could just fly home from there so that's my plan. I am holding off on tickets until the last minute in case the trip gets cancelled and so I can pick seats that are not near anyone. (Like the middle of some of those empty rows I now see) Nothing personal but I am still into social distancing :) ) I had booked a hotel when they first came out and never cancelled so....

Oh and if anyone on here has listed tickets on stubhub... keep in mind that when you add in the stubhub fees you are charging MORE than just buying the ticket directly. That might work for front row seats but for random seats in the arena. :rofl: (And if anyone is looking at stubhub add about $20 a ticket to the asking price)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My understanding is that they do NOT want you throwing objects on the ice. I am assuming that's because they are trying to not have a big group of kids hanging around unmasked to pick them up. Not sure I have seen that officially however. IT does say that you only get one small clear bag so it would be hard to bring in much to throw. I would be hesitant to buy much assuming you can throw it (And honestly the 'big names' really never even see the stuff. They get it in a bag and then donate it to someplace)

Turns out I am probably going to be in California on my 2nd business trip in 2 years the week before this event. It's a 3 hour drive over and then I could just fly home from there so that's my plan. I am holding off on tickets until the last minute in case the trip gets cancelled and so I can pick seats that are not near anyone. (Like the middle of some of those empty rows I now see) Nothing personal but I am still into social distancing :) ) I had booked a hotel when they first came out and never cancelled so....

Oh and if anyone on here has listed tickets on stubhub... keep in mind that when you add in the stubhub fees you are charging MORE than just buying the ticket directly. That might work for front row seats but for random seats in the arena. :rofl: (And if anyone is looking at stubhub add about $20 a ticket to the asking price)
Good info. I dont know why this stuff is all a big secret before each of the 30 events I have been to.
I dont throw things out of courtesy, I would ask that you put them in zip lock bags so that parts of toys dont stick to the ice and cause a pairs team to fall. I have seen holds where people search an search for some small part of a costume.....
Unless you are Rika Kihira, and people throw $200 toys at you, most of the skaters look in the bins, take the letters, and send the toys to childrens hospitals...
I am so old I remember when people dressed up, clapped and didnt scream and throw things at skaters.

Can you even put Boyd ticketmaster tickets on stubhub? My tickets dont show up on my ticketmaster account, only my Boyd Gaming ticketmaster account. There seems to be a way to change the user person, though. I am going to Vegas but am rethinking Nashville. There was just now a super spreader event at the Pendleton OR rodeo and people dont seem to understand that they should use real masks that fit over the nose.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all! I’m super excited to attend Skate America. I’ve never been to a live figure skating event (other than Disney on Ice lol), so I’m curious what to expect. Are there any specific rules of etiquette I should be aware of (beyond normal good manners and Covid precautions)?

Most excitedly and importantly, do you know if we will be able to throw stuffed animals on the ice?

I’ve also seen people chat about trading pins at other competitions. Is that only for major events like Worlds or will that be a thing here? What kind of pins are they talking about? Like homemade or do you buy them somewhere? Could a random fan like me join in?

Thanks in advance for any tips for a newbie!
The main rule of etiquette that I am aware of is that you shouldn't leave the arena during a skater's performance if you need to go to the bathroom; do so after a skater's performance or during the ice resurfacing time (you'll know when this happens when volunteers start patching up the ice and the Zamboni comes out).

I have not seen anything explicitly banning stuffed animals at this event, so I say you should bring as many as you can fit in your 12x12x6 clear bag! Even if the skaters might not notice them, they go to a good cause and throwing them is all part of the fun! Please don't throw them during a performance, though. Be sure to throw them after a performance when the skater bows towards the crowd. Some people also throw flowers at the skaters (although they seem difficult to fit in a clear bag). If you feel like throwing flowers at the skaters, you must be sure that they are securely wrapped before throwing them or else they could spill onto the ice and present a hazard to the next skaters. I found this out the hard way (thankfully no skaters were harmed as a result of my impulse-buy carnations).

As for pins, pins that advertise the event (such as "Skate America 2021") may be on sale at the event. However, fan pin exchanges tend to be of fanmade pins. Certain fans of a skater may give you pins if you support the same skater. However, it may require prior knowledge of who these fans are (via Twitter, Instagram, etc.). My best bet for obtaining a cool fanmade pin is if you see someone wearing silly or cool pin that isn't advertising a particular skating association or event, ask them where they got it from. If they made it themselves, they may have extra pins...

Another point of etiquette that I should touch on is interacting with skaters, although it appears the skaters will be in a bubble, so my advice may be useless for now. Most importantly, please do not stalk the skaters or harass them in any way. If you come upon a skater, you may politely ask them for an autograph or a photo, but if they say no or don't seem comfortable, then respect their wishes.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know. I hope you have fun!

Last edited:

Carolla5501

On the Ice
And if you come back from the bathroom or concession stand and someone is skating WAIT to sit down. Seriously what is it with these people who can't wait 4 minutes and have to go down 10 rows and then get 15 people to stand up during a skate so they can get to their seat!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The main rule of etiquette that I am aware of is that you shouldn't leave the arena during a skater's performance if you need to go to the bathroom; do so after a skater's performance or during the ice resurfacing time (you'll know when this happens when volunteers start patching up the ice and the Zamboni comes out).

I have not seen anything explicitly banning stuffed animals at this event, so I say you should bring as many as you can fit in your 12x12x6 clear bag! Even if the skaters might not notice them, they go to a good cause and throwing them is all part of the fun! Please don't throw them during a performance, though. Be sure to throw them after a performance when the skater bows towards the crowd. Some people also throw flowers at the skaters (although they seem difficult to fit in a clear bag). If you feel like throwing flowers at the skaters, you must be sure that they are securely wrapped before throwing them or else they could spill onto the ice and present a hazard to the next skaters. I found this out the hard way (thankfully no skaters were harmed as a result of my impulse-buy carnations).

As for pins, pins that advertise the event (such as "Skate America 2021") may be on sale at the event. However, fan pin exchanges tend to be of fanmade pins. Certain fans of a skater may give you pins if you support the same skater. However, it may require prior knowledge of who these fans are (via Twitter, Instagram, etc.). My best bet for obtaining a cool fanmade pin is if you see someone wearing silly or cool pin that isn't advertising a particular skating association or event, ask them where they got it from. If they made it themselves, they may have extra pins...

Another point of etiquette that I should touch on is interacting with skaters, although it appears the skaters will be in a bubble, so my advice may be useless for now. Most importantly, please do not stalk the skaters or harass them in any way. If you come upon a skater, you may politely ask them for an autograph or a photo, but if they say no or don't seem comfortable, then respect their wishes.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know. I hope you have fun!
Yes, do not walk down to your seat or go up during a performance, although you will see others do that. Many arenas will have ushers at the curtains at the top of the stairs that will hold you up there till a performance is finished.

Interaction with skaters. Do NOT call out to them when they are on the ice practicing, talking with their coaches, etc. I personally tend to leave them alone when they are sitting in the arena watching, unless there is one I know particularly well. Often times, there is a section for credentialed folk only if they dont want to be bothered by us. Mariah, for instance, will often times sit with the fans and talk with them. But We are now in the age of covid and its not going away,... bending down over a skater to hear them and so they can hear you is not something I would do to anyone. I will be surprised if they even have a FOFS breakfast meet and greet....
aaaa Mariah.JPG

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Fortunately one of the mobile testing labs moved into car park of Orleans from the other hotel, so fingers crossed they don’t move again. I booked the test and flight, now just have to sit tight and hope it’s all going to work out.

Shellerby

Spectator

Thank you!

Shellerby

Spectator
Yes, do not walk down to your seat or go up during a performance, although you will see others do that. Many arenas will have ushers at the curtains at the top of the stairs that will hold you up there till a performance is finished.

Interaction with skaters. Do NOT call out to them when they are on the ice practicing, talking with their coaches, etc. I personally tend to leave them alone when they are sitting in the arena watching, unless there is one I know particularly well. Often times, there is a section for credentialed folk only if they dont want to be bothered by us. Mariah, for instance, will often times sit with the fans and talk with them. But We are now in the age of covid and its not going away,... bending down over a skater to hear them and so they can hear you is not something I would do to anyone. I will be surprised if they even have a FOFS breakfast meet and greet....
View attachment 4306
Awe great pic! And thanks for the tips!

Shellerby

Spectator

Thank you very much! This was super helpful and I really appreciate you taking time to explain how the pins work.... I've been curious about that for so long!

I am definitely waaayyy too shy to approach a skater. I cannot even imagine talking to one of them, but I will definitely be screaming & jumping on the inside if I happen to see one!

Shellerby

Spectator
And if you come back from the bathroom or concession stand and someone is skating WAIT to sit down. Seriously what is it with these people who can't wait 4 minutes and have to go down 10 rows and then get 15 people to stand up during a skate so they can get to their seat!
I always find this strange at theatre performances and more formal concerts, too. This should be simple common sense, but I guess not! Thanks again for the advice!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you very much! This was super helpful and I really appreciate you taking time to explain how the pins work.... I've been curious about that for so long!

I am definitely waaayyy too shy to approach a skater. I cannot even imagine talking to one of them, but I will definitely be screaming & jumping on the inside if I happen to see one!
If you are staying at the Orleans, it's likely you will see skaters all over the place! I spoke to Dimitri Aliev, Kazuki Tomono, Mako Yamashita & coach, Brian Johnson. Also saw many others up close and personal. The U.S. skaters are very approachable, others too..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I used to be like that before I joined the USFS Friends of figure skating were you can mingle with the stars.!!! (Maddy Hubbel would make my knees weak ;) ). They are after all real people. Very talented of course and often very intelligent....but great folks.
I just want to tell them how much they mean to me. But they know that. So many good memories since 2002.....

jason brown.jpg
grandkids.JPG

A ashley.jpg
a ting and me.jpg
mariah.JPG

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you are staying at the Orleans, it's likely you will see skaters all over the place! I spoke to Dimitri Aliev, Kazuki Tomono, Mako Yamashita & coach, Brian Johnson. Also saw many others up close and personal. The U.S. skaters are very approachable, others too..
The Orleans is pretty much set up for skater watching....you ride elevators with them, see them a restaurants, and in the walkway to the arena. I would probably still turn into a pile of goo if I met Kaori :palmf: Its easier to gush over the youngin's.b1b.jpg

katymay

Medalist
Fortunately one of the mobile testing labs moved into car park of Orleans from the other hotel, so fingers crossed they don’t move again. I booked the test and flight, now just have to sit tight and hope it’s all going to work out.
Wait, you have to have a covid test to attend? (I'm Vaxxed times 3)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wait, you have to have a covid test to attend? (I'm Vaxxed times 3)
No, to fly back home. I am coming from Canada. Also vaxxed 3x, lol. It’s been so stupidly hard to organize everything, that I don’t even feel happy about going yet. Like, yesterday, hotel I was booked in refused to shorten my stay by that Thursday night, like, really? Had to rebook the hotel, so now I will have to commute. If all of it gets cancelled, I would be so out of money and out of enthusiasm for skating….

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
No, to fly back home. I am coming from Canada. Also vaxxed 3x, lol. It’s been so stupidly hard to organize everything, that I don’t even feel happy about going yet. Like, yesterday, hotel I was booked in refused to shorten my stay by that Thursday night, like, really? Had to rebook the hotel, so now I will have to commute. If all of it gets cancelled, I would be so out of money and out of enthusiasm for skating….
Really????? I called the hotel as soon as I saw the competition dates had changed and changed my reservation to start Friday instead of Thursday, and to end on Monday instead of Sunday. I reserved under the block of rooms with the special rate, though. When I told them it was because the competition dates changed, they said okay.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Really????? I called the hotel as soon as I saw the competition dates had changed and changed my reservation to start Friday instead of Thursday, and to end on Monday instead of Sunday. I reserved under the block of rooms with the special rate, though. When I told them it was because the competition dates changed, they said okay.
I was at a nearby property, so they simply told the Expedia that ‘since the hotel is fully booked, they cannot change reservation’. I tried calling and their front desk sent me to reservations, then to inventory that only wishes to communicated by email and not on the weekend (really! a hotel!) and provides no response, at which point I cancelled the full reservation and booked Excalibur. So, yes, will be riding the bus, but better than to fly in on Friday and find out they charged me for Thursday and gave my room away too. Lol. I am about fed up with American ‘hospitality’ at this point.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was that way in 2019 for sure, but sadly I don't think it will be the same this year. :( Given the concerns about holding the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast, it appears extremely likely to me that the skaters will be in a bubble this year. Knowing that things would be significantly different from last year almost made me not want to go. However, I'll still bring along a Sharpie for autographs, just in case (perhaps after the exhibition programs?). I was also lucky enough to meet Kazuki for a moment and get his autograph (though the pen cap stuck to the pen for a moment 🤦).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI I called the arena and I am not the only person having issues with this new fangled ticketing.
The tickets were purchased from the arena (Boyd gaming) using ticketmaster.
The tickets will not appear under your ticketmaster account.
The tickets appear under am.ticketmaster.com
It is easy to get the tickets onto the phone. Log into ticketmaster app. Dont back out...just hit home button. Go to emailed receipt and click on "manage tickets"
Like magic, the tickets appear on the phone. Make a home screen app to the website with your tickets. (I also took screen shots of my 6 ea QR tickets. )

I am still having no joy putting the tickets into Google Pay, as instructed on the receipt, probably cause I used a now defunct card to purchase them. I have my new card on Google Pay. I keep telling tech support this but they ignore me.

I am now working with the second tier tech support of Google Pay to try and get that resolved.
I suggest taking your receipt and a copy of your bank statement showing you paid for the tickets.

As a last ditch attempt to get their system working, I am having the Arena tech support call me and try and change my account credit card to my new number.

katymay

Medalist
Yes, to be honest, I wish I had not booked this competition-I want to see Trusova skate in person which is why I jumped on it. But I've already eaten a plane reservation that wasn't refunded because the schedule was changed, and I'm not finding boydgambling/tickmaster a seamless experience. Ditto the hotel reservation which I had and then didn't have. And now have in a sister hotel. There are other huge events going on in Vegas for that weekend, so rates are sky high.