2021 Japan Open

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 Japan Open
October 2, 2021
Saitama, Japan

The Japan Open is an annual invitational senior international figure skating team competition organized by the Japan Skating Federation. The current format (team event) was established in 2006. The competition is held every autumn in Japan. Invited skaters compete in the disciplines of men’s and ladies’ singles. Skaters perform a free program but no short. Individual results are combined for a team standing.

The 2021 event was originally planned as an Open International Competitions (as per ISU Communication 2171), but due to the COVID-19 situation, is being held as a domestic event like it was last year.
Current Entries:

Team Red
Kaori Sakamoto
Rino Matsuike
Mana Kawabe
Keiji Tanaka
Kazuki Tomono
Sena Miyake

Team Blue
Satoko Miyahara
Mai Mihara
Wakaba Higuchi
Shoma Uno
Shun Sato
Sota Yamamoto

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I guesd i'd be team blue too... because shoma and wakaba... but i love kaori.... sigh... life is tough

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They made it impossible to watch this live.

The pay streams look like they are only available in Japan, for around 18 US dollars, and due to music rights, there will be no on demand option. Live only.

Why can’t the rest of the world be like Russia (or even Canada and the USA) that make it easy to watch?

I know one thing. If I was in charge of a federation that had a bundle of sunshine like Kaori Sakamoto skating for it, I would make sure the whole universe was able to easily watch her every time she stepped on the ice.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The pay streams look like they are only available in Japan
Think they are available internationally, but I don't think they are worth paying for. They'll probably be uploaded to YouTube and Instagram. And if not, we can find them on Weibo and Bilibili. 👍

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Think they are available internationally, but I don't think they are worth paying for. They'll probably be uploaded to YouTube and Instagram. And if not, we can find them on Weibo and Bilibili. 👍
We’ll find out in a few days in any case.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I hate picking between these 2 teams. But Mai is Team Blue, so that will be the team I root for. :cheer:

I guesd i'd be team blue too... because shoma and wakaba... but i love kaori.... sigh... life is tough

If you want to cheer for blue, an inferior color in every way to red, be my guest.

Everyone knows the color red is better than the color blue. That’s not even a debate. Haha

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Haha, I edited my post after you responded. Definitely not Kaori‘s fault. Her presence alone chases rain clouds away.
I wish she were repeating Amelie! Have you watched it? You seem a recent fan, lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOaZeFxqnE
If you want to cheer for blue, an inferior color in every way to red, be my guest.

Everyone knows the color red is better than the color blue. That’s not even a debate. Haha

Heh. Agreed.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I thought one of the paid online streaming is with Zaiko (tickets via l-tike website: https://l-tike.zaiko.io/e/jocoi2021). And my past experience with Zaiko worked quite well: I watched the live streaming of Mao Asada's Thanks Tour from outside of Japan. I think it's only that they make a note, so you can not re-play the performance after the LIVE event, due to the copyright issue.

Also you have to figure out how to register to Zaiko....

Adding: Zaiko page in English https://zaiko.io/event/343212
You can run a test using this link https://streaming.zaiko.io/buy/1mvO:5lN:73deb to see if the streaming is actually viewable (note this require purchasing a ticket of 0$ to run).

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
They made it impossible to watch this live.

The pay streams look like they are only available in Japan, for around 18 US dollars, and due to music rights, there will be no on demand option. Live only.

Why can’t the rest of the world be like Russia (or even Canada and the USA) that make it easy to watch?

Yup. Russia has the best approach by far in making all of its competitions available, and should serve as example to the other federations. I hope they're earning some solid reward for that from ads. The availability of Japanese competitions has really gone downhill from the days when Nationals videos used to be freely accessible on Youtube. They seem convinced that the best way of earning money is having the Japanese fans watch their channels and paid talkshows over and over again, and don't give a da*n about fans in the rest of the world. Okay...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Starting order of JO competition

Oct 2nd, 12:30 noon (local Japan time)
Team introduction

1. Sena Miyake (Team Red) FS: The Swan Lake
2. Sota Yamamoto (Team Blue) FS: lo Ci Saro
3. Kazuki Tomono (R) FS: La La Land
4. Shun Sato (B) FS: The Phantom of the Opera
5. Keiji Tanka (R) FS: Whiplash, Caravan
6. Shoma Uno (B, captain) FS: Bolero

(Guest skaters: Akiko Suzuki, Shizuka Arakawa)

Intermission
7. Wakaba Higuchi (B) FS: Lion King
8. Mana Kawabe (R) FS: Miracle
9. Mai Mihara (B) FS: Fairy of the forest/Galaxy
10. Rino Matsuike (R) FS: Moonlight
11. Satoko Miyahara (B) FS: Tosca
12. Kaori Sakamoto (R, captain) FS: No more fight left in me/Tris

Awarding ceremony

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist