ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF | Page 26 | Golden Skate

ISU announces Selection Criteria for JGPF

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
+/-5 GOE and PCS are out of control, basically rewinding the judging back to the totally subjective 6.0 era. The skaters are starting to win with over-scored short programs… I don’t like how the scoring is evolving lately. But that is in response to the demand to reduce the influence of the jumps. But the jumps, in the end, the less corruptible score, that is with lower GoE spread.

I hope there will be a scoring review again, but for a while I expect a rampaging race of PCS and GoE.

That’s why I prefer juniors, because they are less susceptible to insane inflations in soft part of the scores. The seniors… not so go fair.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Actually, I'm not okay with the Japanese being able to add someone to the final. It's just wrong. People from other countries got their shots and took the chance and went to compete. Japan just said no, we're not going, but you're going to allow one of us into your final. I'm not okay with that and I'm not okay with anyone in the final who hasn't competed twice. Call it what you will, it's just my opinion. I hope this never happens again. It all started when France decided that they don't recognize Russia's internal covid vaccine, so they wouldn't allow any of them into the French JGPs. Oh, and it didn't help that there were two JGPs in France because Canada decided they didn't want to have one there.
I also hope it’s back to normal next year, since the regular criteria is better fitting the series.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What do you mean by respecting Zhilina's gold being the only break team Russia got"? I don't follow junior pairs, I barely follow senior pairs. Perhaps you could tell me what it is you're referring to. Just a note. Russia has, as I have it on my list, four girls going to the final, three ice dance couples going, and four boys going. They're dominating. Where/why is it that they need a break?
Well basically, under normal circumstances Veronika would be out because she couldn't do two stages even if she did win gold. Plus she was injured so even if she had gone to a second JGP she might have done so poorly she'd be out of the Final anyway. So this decision basically saved her.

Funnily enough Plushy himself once went to a GPF after only competing (and winning) one event because Johnny Weir withdrew. He won that Final :biggrin: I do wonder if the other guys were peeved about it :laugh:

GretchenG

Rinkside
Well, with the new rules that ISU published this week, he already qualified as he had won a previous JGP. All the winners got through to JGPF.
Which makes it a bit irritating that the ISU revealed the rules this late. Ilia could have stayed at home and another American skater could have gotten the chance instead.
I can see where the idea of that is enticing, because it would offer more opportunity, but think about how crazy it would be for the people that run the competitions if after every week countries could just swap somebody out, whether they won or not. I would think that would be a lot of work.

GretchenG

Rinkside
Well basically, under normal circumstances Veronika would be out because she couldn't do two stages even if she did win gold. Plus she was injured so even if she had gone to a second JGP she might have done so poorly she'd be out of the Final anyway. So this decision basically saved her.

Funnily enough Plushy himself once went to a GPF after only competing (and winning) one event because Johnny Weir withdrew. He won that Final :biggrin: I do wonder if the other guys were peeved about it :laugh:
Well, if Plushy was the alternate, there's nothing they can do about it. They could complain to their hearts content.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I sent email to Barton as soon as they stopped skating, hoping he would bring it up during the breaks in women’s competition, but he didn’t. 🤔 Gosh, can they just let in 5 pairs? Argh.
Seems especially unfair if we're unclear about it. Personally, I trust GS takes more than twitter accounts :biggrin:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Just some more arguments against the qualification system:

Because the troubles with publishing instagram posts persist obviously, here is the link:

I think the main problem for me is that at first they said they won’t apply the old criteria (which was medals), because not all skaters could attend events, and then they went on to go with medals anyway. 😂
doesn’t that defeat the purpose of changing the rules?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think the main problem for me is that at first they said they won’t apply the old criteria (which was medals), because not all skaters could attend events, and then they went on to go with medals anyway. 😂
doesn’t that defeat the purpose of changing the rules?
They did two major changes. One highest achievement counted—> nominally addressed problems with attendance and they ranked either everyone below gold or everyone with silver (will be clear once Petushkova/Malikov vs Safina/Berulava is called officially) based (again) on the highest score, not on medals in 2 events—> nominally addresses Russians and Koreans applying for allowed exceptions to # of skaters per event. 🤷‍♀️

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I also wanted to add, that the number of entries per stage per discipline and in how many stages is determined by the results of the preceding year’s JWC (in this case from 2020, since 2021 was cancelled). So, Russians have 2 skaters per event in each discipline in all 7 stages according to the rule set (they actually sent 1 less than allowed, since Ugozhaev was WD and not subbed, and Yablokov went by his lonesome)

So, in pairs, it seems everywhere it is Petushkova/Malikov they have 169.8 (S) and 170.46 (B) . Safina/Berulava are 168.26 (S) and 179.27 (B)

Normal second tie-breaker is combined total score—that’s S/B. If it is replaced by single total highest score, S/B is still ahead. Only by comparing silver to silver, which is not anywhere in tie-breaking rules. Next rule is FS total combined score, then total highest score in one event…

That’s such a crazy tie that I suppose higher score on a higher medal (S) won out—which was not explicitly specified in the rules. solely by the total highest single score and by combined score, S/B should have went in the final (by 8 points!).

There is no single published rule that I can find that compares scores achieved on the highest medal won.

In conclusion, S/B lost out to P/M by lesser margin than Kovalev to Rukhin, when they should have won the tie, and they lost the spot by the cut quota on top of it, so, in my view, they are truly are the most shafted participants of this tournament.

Last edited: