2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series presented by Toyota is a series of eight competitions giving athletes the opportunity to compete at up to two competitions in the location of their choice. Advancement to the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships and assignment to the National High Performance Development Team, will be based on each skater’s highest score earned, rather than placement at each competition. The Norwood event is near the end of the Championship Series calendar and the event will feature singles and pairs events in juvenile to senior.

scoty

Rinkside
Do I understand the qualifying procedures?

- Athletes who qualify for the same event at the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final or the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final per rule 2501 (B) (2); -
TBA

Athletes who placed in the top five in the same event at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships per rule 2501 (B) (2);
Tennell, Glenn, Chen, Liu, Bell

- Athletes selected to the 2021 U.S. Figure Skating World Team (not including alternates) in the same event per rule 2501 (B) (2);
Tennell, Chen

- Athletes who have won a medal in the singles event at the most recent Olympic Winter Games per rule 2501 (B) (2);
No one

- Athletes who are assigned to and compete at three (3) international assignments classified as an ISU Grand Prix, ISU Junior Grand Prix and or ISU Challenger Series event; • Refer to the approved list of international competitions within this document.
Bell, Chen, Glenn, Liu - plus any of these who are assigned/compete at a 3rd event: Andrews, Izzo, Kalin, Levito, Shin, Thorngren, Wang, Ziegler

- The top two (2) total combined scores from each section in the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series;
TBA

- The next best top three (3) scores from the nation in the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series
TBA

So if no one qualifies to the GPF, and none of the athletes who have currently been assigned to 2 international events are assigned to a 3rd event, does that mean that there are only 9 spots up for grabs? (2 per section + the next 3 top scores from the championship series)? So possibly only 14 senior ladies at Nationals? Help, I seem to have this quite confused... lol.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So if no one qualifies to the GPF, and none of the athletes who have currently been assigned to 2 international events are assigned to a 3rd event, does that mean that there are only 9 spots up for grabs? (2 per section + the next 3 top scores from the championship series)? So possibly only 14 senior ladies at Nationals?

Per the USFS document (emphasis added):

Criteria Notes

If the maximum spots allotted for byes are not met through the outlined criteria, additional competitors from the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series will be invited to fill the maximum available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships© for each level/discipline. Competitors from the Championship Series will be selected based on next best total combined score(s) in the nation. This will apply equally to all disciplines in the junior and senior events. ...​

In the case of Senior singles:
The maximum number of available spots at Nats is 18.
If the allotment of four international byes to Nats is not used up, it will be possible for more than nine athletes to qualify for Nats via Championship Series.​

... plus any of these who are assigned/compete at a 3rd event: Andrews, Izzo, Kalin, Levito, Shin, Thorngren, Wang, Ziegler ...

Again, four is the maximum number of international byes for Senior singles.

Hypothetically, if everyone on your list were to compete at three internationals (from the USFS list of events that count), only the top four (in the ranking system also explained in the document's Criteria Notes) will earn international byes to Nats.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
they are finally taking applications for volunteers for anyone who is interested :party2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
they are finally taking applications for volunteers for anyone who is interested :party2:

IIRC, volunteer applications for 2019 Detroit also started in late September ... and it was much later for 2018 San Jose.

Although it was a little earlier for 2020 Greensboro, my reaction to this year's e-mail was the opposite of "finally." :laugh:
Mine was more like: "Oh, goody, is it already time?! :)"

KissAndCry

Rinkside
I signed up/applied to volunteer and I am hoping I'll actually be able to do it for the very first time. It has been on my bucket list, so I decided to go for it. Can anyone tell me how this process usually works, especially with the newer EMS system? How long does it usually take to hear anything back after the initial application?

macy

Record Breaker
I signed up/applied to volunteer and I am hoping I'll actually be able to do it for the very first time. It has been on my bucket list, so I decided to go for it. Can anyone tell me how this process usually works, especially with the newer EMS system? How long does it usually take to hear anything back after the initial application?
when i applied for 2019 nationals i think i heard something roughly a month later. my application was approved and then they have you request shifts, and it was probably in December sometime when i got final approval for what i was going to do.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
IIRC, volunteer applications for 2019 Detroit also started in late September ... and it was much later for 2018 San Jose.

Although it was a little earlier for 2020 Greensboro, my reaction to this year's e-mail was the opposite of "finally." :laugh:
Mine was more like: "Oh, goody, is it already time?! :)"
Should we consider this a sign that USFS expects this event to happen more or less as usual, with spectators and everything, and doesn’t plan to move the event—or am I reading too much into it?

macy

Record Breaker
Should we consider this a sign that USFS expects this event to happen more or less as usual, with spectators and everything, and doesn’t plan to move the event—or am I reading too much into it?
i believe it is happening as usual. tickets have been on sale for a while now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can’t imagine that at this point with tickets having been on sale for months. But who can know the mind of USFS?

I’d say email them but I’m sure they’re all frantically busy trying to figure out how to protect their athletes. At least they should be.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My take is that the USFS Events Department probably is frantically busy working on holding Skate America and the remaining seven Championship Series events (all with as much COVID safety as possible). At the same time that the Events Department also is working ahead on holding Nashville Nats (with as much COVID safety as possible).
Yes, protecting athletes at all times against abuse is very important! But on that wide-ranging issue, I do not think that *lead* responsibility within USFS would belong to the Events Department (although it is involved in enforcing SafeSport procedures at events).

Regarding the viability of Nashville Nats, I take it as a good sign that Championship Series is being held in person this season.
Last season, in the face of constantly changing governmental COVID restrictions, USFS ultimately made the tough decision to cancel the in-person series and to quickly pivot to a virtual event.
Although Championship Series has a relatively low profile, I believe that it is a major undertaking for USFS, especially the in-person series this season.
Last week, the first event in Blaine took place on four sheets of ice (for competition and practice).
This week, Henderson, Nevada, is taking place on three sheets; and Allen, Texas, on two. Etc., etc.
With five more events in the coming weeks.

I think the start of single-ticket sales for Nashville Nats was another good sign.
And holding Champs Camp and National Development Camp at the practice venue for Nashville Nats was another one.

(To be honest, I think the start of volunteer applications for Nats is a lesser sign. The period for volunteer shift requests is not until December, so no specific assignments have been made yet.)

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are entries closed for all these events? Is there somewhere I can find entry lists?

haribobo

On the Ice
Short Program Combined Standings for Henderson, Blaine, and Allen

SENIOR WOMEN SP
Starr Andrews 70 (bye for 3 Intl comps)
Mariah Bell 69 (bye for top 5 @ Nationals)
Allison Zheng 60
Gabriella Izzo 59
Maxine Bautista 58.84
Maryn Pierce 58.15
Finley Hawk 58.13
Sonja Hilmer 57.08
Hanna Harrell 56.90
Sierra Venetta 56.65
Alena Budko 55
Courtney Hicks 54.79
Alex Evans 54.48
Jessica Lin 53
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 50

SENIOR MEN SP
Eric Sjoberg 79
Liam Kapeikis 76
Jun Hong Chen 73
William Hubbart 67
Sebastien Payannet 66
Jordan Moeller 61

JUNIOR WOMEN SP
Elsa Cheng 61
Josephine Lee 60
Clare Seo 57
Hannah Lofton 56
Hannah Herrera 55
Mia Kalin 54.58
Soho Lee 54.05
Abigail Ross 49.75
Kendall Erne 49.34
Adele Zheng 48
Maria Platonova 47.82
Elizabeth Hong 47.54
Ria Basu 46.94
Lindsay Wang 46.55
Jayna Hosman 45

JUNIOR MEN SP
Kai Kovar 75
Matthew Nielsen 71
Beck Strommer 65
Will Annis 64
Michael Xie 63
Goku Endo 57
Taira Shinohara 54.81
Maxim Zharkov 54.60
Nhat-Viet Nguyen 53.98
Daniel Borisov 53.36
Joseph Klein 51
Alexander Liu 50
Philip Baker 49

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are entries closed for all these events? Is there somewhere I can find entry lists?

Registration for all events closed in early September.
Of the upcoming five competitions, so far Fort Wayne and Alpharetta have published lists of athletes well in advance.
The Fort Wayne list was published many days ago -- it would not surprise me if there have been a couple of subsequent withdrawals that are not reflected there.
The more recent Alpharetta list is "as of Oct 10."

To see these two lists, look for the links on the individual USFS event pages.
The individual USFS event pages can be reached through the USFS Competition Central page for the entire series.

Update to my post from Sep 21:

... In the case of Senior singles:
The maximum number of available spots at Nats is 18.
If the allotment of four international byes to Nats is not used up, it will be possible for more than nine athletes to qualify for Nats via Championship Series.​

Barring unforeseen changes, additional international assignments that now have been made for Senior Women and Men will mean that:

Nine Senior Women will qualify for Nats via Championship Series, because the quota of four international byes will be used up.
Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, and Shin will meet the requirements of three GP/JGP/Challenger competitions -- with Levito and Thorngren also now qualifying for JGPF.

It remains possible that one "extra" Senior Man will qualify for Nats via Championship Series.
So far, Malinin, Hiwatashi, and Pulkinen will meet the requirements for international byes -- with Malinin also now qualifying for JGPF.​

haribobo

On the Ice
Top Total Scores After 3 of 8 Events

SENIOR WOMEN OVERALL (TOP 9 once all 8 comps done make Nationals- assuming top 2 for Pac, Mid, East included in that)

(byes- Tennell, Liu, Bell, Chen, Glenn, Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, Shin)
Gabriella Izzo 183
Starr Andrews 177
Hanna Harrell 171
Finley Hawk 164
Alena Budko 163
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162
Sonja Hilmer 157
Maryn Pierce 156
Sierra Venetta 153
Maxine Bautista 148
Paige Rydberg 146.73
Courtney Hicks 146.21
Alex Evans 144

Yet to skate/score- Gracie Gold, Emilia Murdock, Heidi Munger, Rena Ikenishi, Ting Cui, Pooja Kalyan, Emily Zhang, Sarah Jung

SENIOR MEN OVERALL (Top 10 make Nationals, assuming top 2 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
(byes- Chen Zhou Brown Naumov Paniot Tomoki Camden Malinin)
Eric Sjoberg 227
Liam Kapeikis 194
Sebastien Payannet 193
William Hubbart 184
Mitchell Friess 182
Jordan Moeller 171

Yet to skate/score- Emmanuel Savary, Jimmy Ma, Andrew Torgashev, Dinh Tran, Ryan Dunk, Eric Prober, Artur Dmitriev

JUNIOR WOMEN OVERALL (Top 15 make Nationals, assuming top 3 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
Clare Seo 179
Mia Kalin 177
Josephine Lee 166
Soho Lee 164
Hannah Herrera 156
Elsa Cheng 154
Abigail Ross 152
Hannah Lofton 150
Kendall Erne 135
Ria Basu 133.98
Maria Platonova 133.72
Adele Zheng 133.03

yet to skate/score- Ava Ziegler, Kate Wang, Kanon Smith, Sarah Everhardt, Gwen Bloesch, Tamnhi Huynh

JUNIOR MEN OVERALL (TOP 15 make Nationals, assuming top 3 for each of Pac, Mid, East included in that)
Matthew Nielsen 194
Kai Kovar 190
Will Annis 175.98
Taira Shinohara 175.84
Beck Strommer 172
Maxim Zharkov 168.99
Michael Xie 168.30
Goku Endo 162
Daniel Borisov 150
Nhat-Viet Nguyen 149
Joseph Klein 148
Philip Baker 146

Yet to skate/score - Daniel Martynov, Lucas Broussard, Samuel Mindra, Jacob Sanchez

NOVICE MEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Antonio Monaco 149
Lake Liao 147
Vaclav Vasquez 139
Matthew Lin 133

NOVICE WOMEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Elyce Lin-Gracey 160
Sonia Baram 156
Phattaratida Kaneshige 154
Katie Shen 145

Last edited:

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I purchased all event tickets but I am not interested in the juniors so I am giving away my tickets to sessions 1-6 if anyone is interested. The seat is in section 117. I would assume the arena won't be to crowded for these early sessions so once inside you could probably sit somewhere even closer. If anyone is interested let me know which sessions you'd like and I'll mail the tickets.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I purchased all event tickets but I am not interested in the juniors so I am giving away my tickets to sessions 1-6 if anyone is interested. The seat is in section 117. I would assume the arena won't be to crowded for these early sessions so once inside you could probably sit somewhere even closer. If anyone is interested let me know which sessions you'd like and I'll mail the tickets.
We usually sit where we want for juniors. Maybe 100-200 (at the very most) people there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately this is so terribly expensive I’m strongly considering a 7 day cruise for $300 instead.