2021 NHK Trophy Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy Entries

Ella339

On the Ice
Gutted for Yuzu. Hope it isn't too serious and we'll be seeing him back soon.

So, will JSF insist on a 10 men event, or will they finally start inviting substitutes?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gutted for Yuzu. Hope it isn't too serious and we'll be seeing him back soon.

So, will JSF insist on a 10 men event, or will they finally start inviting substitutes?
They will substitute the Japanese, but not other nations’ skaters. That’s how they roll this year. Maybe even throw their weight around and get one extra Japanese slot, because why not? Lol.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Nooo :( Not only sad he WD from GP, but i´m worried what this means for preparations for OG.
He'll probably limp into the Olympics with a watered down program and win Gold again, then plan for the 4A sometime in 2023.

They will substitute the Japanese, but not other nations’ skaters. That’s how they roll this year.
Not entirely their fault, given the continued difficulty in getting people from outside Japan into the country, especially on short notice.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
One more thought on the potential subbing Ladies. If the Fed wants to send Yuhana to Poland and Mana to Austria, then how about Yuna Shiraiwa? Or Mako? They both scored over 60 at West Japan sectionals.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This season is cursed. :bang:
I have to wonder if the changing sport is the curse. The emphasis of trick jumps over artistry is depressing for us old folks that remember skating in the last century. Nathan, Vincent, Shoma, et al are one jump gone bad away from disaster. Sure, there were injuries before the quad...but not like this.....hugs to Ting, Yuzu, and Rika and all the other skaters fighting injuries. Healing takes time, a commodity of which there is precious little of....

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean it could be for visa/quarantine reasons?
They had plenty of time to do replacements. Where there is will… at least they didn’t replace them with Japanese entries based on the ‘because we host the Final’ reasoning like in JGP. Small blessings.

Country
Norway
Alysa has a higher season's best (219) than them.
That´s correct, but it was only one competition in a field where she was obviously the strongest in the field with over 20 points down to the silver medalist, and possible with more lenient panel. If you look at the last two competitions she scored 206 and 207 points, where the last one was GP in a strong field, but she fell on the 3A.

Young and Daria scored 216 and 217 in SA and both of them also had errors which cost them points. Young fell on her 3A in the SP. Daria doubled a triple in combo or something in her FS and a bad landing on a flip. It will be really be interesting to see Alysia against Daria and Young next week. I think if she is going to win the gold she has to land at least one clean 3A and make no other mistakes, but everything depends also on if Young and Daria is clean. Daria is usually very consistent, so it´s going to be tough. I think if Young is clean and lands her 3A both in SP and FS she will have the biggest TES and she can win by a margin (but Daria likely to get better PCS). Sakamoto shouldn´t be counted out either. All though, with Trusova out the pressure is really on Young and Daria. It´s likely both of them are skating for the gold, and we don´t know how they will handle this. I don´t think they expected to be in position for gold before Trusova WD, so that could change a lot.

Alysa might take the pressure better, I have a feeling she has a stronger mind. But I don´t know. Darias mind always seemed strong but she suddenly made unexpected errors in SA.

It will be exciting for sure!