2021 Rostelecom Cup - Women: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup - Women: Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A BIG nod to Valieva! She surpassed in her teammate Kostornaia with a new Total record score and Trusova with a new record FS Score!
Nice comeback for Khromykh who took her second GP medal in her debut season!
I love watching the Tuktamysheva doing good triple Axels more than watching skaters doing quads :) The Empress landed two clean ones at this event!

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was a stroke of genius to pair the Empress with Queen Kamila at the GP’s this season.

The Empress whips the crowd into a frenzy, then the Queen puts on a skating masterclass. A regal formula.

Kamila might be polarizing, but we saw history tonight.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While the 15-year-old surpassed the winner’s score in the Men’s event, she was clear when asked if she would want to compete with men. “I wouldn’t like to compete with the men. It’s a little bit easier for the men with the quads and the triple Axels as they have more muscles. I think male and female skating is very different and I like my category.”

Good for you! Embrace your Gurl power! 💪

Scott512

Record Breaker
I guess no one should be surprised by the placements or the performances.

A question I have is Valieva peaking too soon?

How many times has Liza had to skate with KV this season? 3?

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
The RusFed is testing Liza, the same thing happened when Sasha, Aliona and Anna went senior. They put Liza against Sasha in her GPs, who was expected to "tear them to pieces"

I'm glad Liza has been able to rise to the occasion.

Liza did not skate at the same GPs at Trusova when Trusova turned senior in 2019 senior. Liza was paired with Anna at Skate America and Cup of China.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Liza did not skate at the same GPs at Trusova when Trusova turned senior in 2019 senior. Liza was paired with Anna at Skate America and Cup of China.
Oh yeah you're right it was Zhenya Med who was thrown under the bus for betraying Mother Russia and going to Canada.

It's hard to keep up with the RusFed's machinations.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
That's what I worry about as well. She has 2 more months and at least 3 (potentially 4 with the Team Event) competitions until the Olympics. Can she keep this up?

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I guess no one should be surprised by the placements or the performances.

How many times has Liza had to skate with KV this season? 3?
Should be ok! She made a small mistake with the 3S.

I think it's a bit lose/lose. If she was a trainwreck we'd worry that she was...well a train wreck. As it is now we're worried she's peaking too soon.

I think she's just that good. She's the evolution of skating. Quads, gorgeous skating, expression/interpretation and hopefully very few mistakes. This is what I was personally hoping for.

Now if there was some way we could banish injuries from all skaters that would be perfect. I know it's impossible but hope dies last right? I'm going to keep sending them all good vibes!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Oh yeah you're right it was Zhenya Med who was thrown under the bus for betraying Mother Russia and going to Canada.

It's hard to keep up with the RusFed's machinations.
Ah yes. As if she had any chance of winning if she was paired with Anna or Aliona. Lmao.
Besides, she took any leftover GPF chances herself by bombing at SCI.

Dawn825

Medalist
Maiia for me just has that awkward gangly way of moving and performing that's hard to enjoy. Similarly to Anna, she doesn't often hit a truly beautiful position and makes skating look hard.

I enjoy what Liza is bringing to the sport and am kind of rooting for her to get an Olympic spot mostly on principle. But her range of motion, ice coverage and spins are poor. She's delightful when she stops to dance, but as soon as she gets going again...also hard to enjoy.

I have so many thoughts on Kamila. She seems to really be growing into the expectations, and has looked stronger emotionally with every competition. I think the SP is magical, if a bit simple. She has a really elegant and effortless way of moving that is on display in that program.
Bolero is a situation where she makes the program look the best it can, but the program does not make her look the best she can. The choreography is difficult, but awkward by design, and I just wish she was doing something else. The jumps seem huge and solid in real time, but the slow-mos make it clear that her flips and lutzes should honestly be downgraded, or receive negative GOEs at the least.
The word that comes to mind watching her, particularly in the FS, is proficient. She does everything well but the performance is too methodical. The music is at the same beat the whole time, she skates at the same speed the whole time. The SP is the same but I think there it works in a spell binding way. The FS is a long time to listen to Bolero. There's no emotion, there's no special moments, there's no story.
It's easy to imagine how much better Kamila could look with different packaging, so it's just frustrating that her team is such a mess.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Should be ok! She made a small mistake with the 3S.

I think it's a bit lose/lose. If she was a trainwreck we'd worry that she was...well a train wreck. As it is now we're worried she's peaking too soon.

I think she's just that good. She's the evolution of skating. Quads, gorgeous skating, expression/interpretation and hopefully very few mistakes. This is what I was personally hoping for.

Now if there was some way we could banish injuries from all skaters that would be perfect. I know it's impossible but hope dies last right? I'm going to keep sending them all good vibes!
It's just terrible what they actually have to go through in an Olympic season with all that pressure and then with all these viruses around the world having to deal with that his brutal. I'm so sorry for these skaters let's hope we get a break and they get to have their Olympic season uninterrupted.

KV is that good green. The question is can she keep it up? I think it's possible but it's hard to imagine and I don't think she's gonna be winning these competitions the rest of the season by 40 or more points.