Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm seeing a few people reporting on Twitter than their electronic ticket for the Grand Prix Final event has "disappeared" from their wallet.

If you can read Japanese: https://twitter.com/search?q=グランプリファイナル チケット&src=typed_query&f=live

This could mean either event cancellation, or holding the event with no fans in attendance.
Interesting. That of course means alot of refunds.....not good for business. Japanese events are of course well attended.....I will watch my tickets for US nats (in a month....)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well....I'm just hoping now that the Olympics go on as scheduled....at least I have hockey, football, and basketball right now to look forward to.

Amei

Record Breaker
Please ISU do not give events of this type to Japan (or Canada) again. How long has a GPF not been held in the USA or Russia?

Well they can still give them events (I would add China to the list of questionable countries to receive events based on their cancellations), but its very clear at this point covid is never going to go away and the ISU needs to fire up their 2 brain cells and make sure they have contingency plans in place for events especially when they give an event to a country that's very restrictive.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Well they can still give them events (I would add China to the list of questionable countries to receive events based on their cancellations), but its very clear at this point covid is never going to go away and the ISU needs to fire up their 2 brain cells and make sure they have contingency plans in place for events especially when they give an event to a country that's very restrictive.
Again, what contingency can you possibly have for an event being cancelled by a government on a week's notice? An individual can be flexible, but an event with hundreds of people coming from many countries cannot be that flexible.

The JSF could have given their full assurances that the event would go off as planned as recently as last week...and it would have made absolutely no difference, as national governments trump skating federations.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From a promotion standpoint, this being cancelled will only make the Russian ladies shootout at Nationals an even bigger deal than it is now. Since it will be the only time this year that 5 or more will be at the same place at the same time.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
From a promotion standpoint, this being cancelled will only make the Russian ladies shootout at Nationals an even bigger deal than it is now. Since it will be the only time this year that 5 or more will be at the same place at the same time.
I do not want to imagine the tension that will be experienced in the event. On the positive side, they will all arrive in the same training conditions and will be able to prove their worth! But Kami or Anna will have to wait another season if they want to add that GPF title that they lack!

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again, what contingency can you possibly have for an event being cancelled by a government on a week's notice? An individual can be flexible, but an event with hundreds of people coming from many countries cannot be that flexible.

The JSF could have given their full assurances that the event would go off as planned as recently as last week...and it would have made absolutely no difference, as national governments trump skating federations.
A simple one is to have it in nations that won’t close their borders.

Make Belarus the hub of international ISU figure skating competitions. Haha

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Revenue doesn’t matter if the event isn’t held.

It’s better to have an event with reduced revenue than no event at all.
What would your contingency plan have been for completing the 2015 Trophée Éric Bompard?

Sometimes things happen in life, and we just have to deal with them. C'est la vie.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would your contingency plan have been for completing the 2015 Trophée Éric Bompard?

Sometimes things happen in life, and we just have to deal with them. C'est la vie.
I don‘t believe these are the same things.

You can’t plan for what happened in 2015. You can plan to have your events where the government won’t get in your way.

We got to see Kamila’s all time great weekend last week. And we will see the ladies at Russian nationals.

This event was just going to be an appetizer.

So we will be skipping the appetizer and going directly to the main cours.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I don‘t believe these are the same things.

You can’t plan for what happened in 2015. You can plan to have your events where the government won’t get in your way.
You seem to think that this can be done without a cost.

Holding backup locations for every international event scheduled will cost more than just accepting that maybe 1% of events won't go off as planned.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You seem to think that this can be done without a cost.

Holding backup locations for every international event scheduled will cost more than just accepting that maybe 1% of events won't go off as planned.
You aren‘t wrong. I am not saying that you should have venues as a backup.

ISU should just start being more aware and stop going to nations that won’t guarantee entry for the foreseeable future.

If you just let Russia host all the legs of the GP, there is no extra cost. It’s a simple solution.

Forget about border closings and the rest, more events should be held in the country that is the Mecca of figure skating now. Especially in the ladies discipline. They should be rewarded with more events anyway.

SaDa

On the Ice
It is what it is, but I am so sad for all these skaters. This is pretty concerning, and I'm not necessarily talking about the GPF. I wonder if we've seen the last of figure skating for this season. I mean, I hate to ask but will there even be an Olympics in Beijing come February? I can't be the only one thinking this, right?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That one is a different case as the event was already underway when the theatre attack occured. Technically the event could have continued, but it was agreed by the ISU that it would have been in poor taste.

But it is difficult to have a backup plan even in instances like this when it's the Government of a country making the final decision and not the ISU.

Still sad though 😔