Switch from Jackson Ultima legacy 8 to pattern 99 blade | Golden Skate

Switch from Jackson Ultima legacy 8 to pattern 99 blade

mross06

Spectator
I have been skating on the Jackson Ultima legacy 8 for almost my entire skating career. One of my coaches suggested I switch to a better jumping blade (Pattern 99) and stated there won’t be much difference.
My other coach said I could never skate in the Pattern 99 since the difference between the blades are too great. (I would stumble over the toe pick all the time she said)
Is this true?
They seemed pretty similar when I compared them in the shop.
They also both have 8 rocker
Can anyone help me or recommend a different blade?
I would love to skate on a revolution blade too, that’s why I went with my first coach’s suggestion but now I’m unsure…

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have been skating on the Jackson Ultima legacy 8 for almost my entire skating career. One of my coaches suggested I switch to a better jumping blade (Pattern 99) and stated there won’t be much difference.
My other coach said I could never skate in the Pattern 99 since the difference between the blades are too great. (I would stumble over the toe pick all the time she said)
Is this true?
They seemed pretty similar when I compared them in the shop.
They also both have 8 rocker
Can anyone help me or recommend a different blade?
I would love to skate on a revolution blade too, that’s why I went with my first coach’s suggestion but now I’m unsure…
First of all what level are you?

Secondly, switching from Ultima Legacy 8 to P99 is a jump (for lack of a better word). Yes, they both have 8ft rockers but the rocker is almost flat on the Legacy and not on the P99. The P99 also has a much larger bottom pick (it is the blade I've worn for a very long time and I've worn about every blade). Also, don't go Rev, it's not necessary. Ultima is also an intermediate blade with cross cut picks, while P99 is top level blade with straight cut picks. You may be better off with Gold Seal (just be aware of the fact that the back stanchion is high on that blade and it also is a tapered blade).

Also, this needs to be in the Lutz Corner. @mod can you please move this? Thank you! :)

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They're very different, however anything manufactured by MK or JW will be better for your development than anything Ultima ever will be. They are much too flat to do much of anything effectively.