2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Women's Free Skate

skaket023

Rinkside
Congrats to Mariah! She got the gold she should have had in 2020. How about that double axel she stepped out of? Didn't she add that to make up for doubling the combo? That sloppy axel was the winning move, I think.

I love Karen, but her UR's.....or should I say Tammy Gambill's URs. Her skaters consistently under rotate. It's gotta be said! Audrey Shin is the new Karen Chen.

Sadly, I don't think Amber will get anything from US Figure Skating. I think they believe chances were given this year that she passed on. The same with Starr. Two of the three criteria were competitiveness and consistency.....I think they are ready to move on. (Camden and Tomoki are on the chopping block also, I feel. They both need a big win tomorrow.)

I hope Alysa gets some counseling before the Olympics. She's not in a good space right now. That movement with her arms at the end of her short like she was a teapot or something, instead of bowing....I guess she was trying to be funny.

Isabeau, Gabby, and Lindsay are dead serious about skating so next year's Nationals should be very interesting!

Country
Norway
Congratz to Mariah, Karen and Isabeau with the podium, and Gabbie with the pewter medal! USFS will announce the womens team today and it´s not going to be a big surprise.

It´s nice Mariah finally won the title.

Starr almost clean FS was another highlight for me, I love the dress and music she is skating to. It really fits her. I hope Starr gets a spot for 4CC, I would think it´s very likely. I guess Gabby is given a spot for 4CC with Lindsay if they are not going to name them as reserve for Beijing.

I´m wondering how they are going to pick substitutes for OG, it´s more relevant than ever i´m afraid. And as it was discussed earlier I don´t think they can have the reserve go to 4CC, that would be risky if the substitute might end up catching covid in Tallinn or on the plane. But it´s really difficult, if you only get picked as reserve for the team and not a spot at 4CC, you could end up getting nothing.

On another note, I wanted to say something about Gracie. I think everybody wanted her to follow up the good SP and not fall apart jumpwise, and if she somehow had managed to not double her jumps she could have been in top 5-7. Margins was small with a lot of ladies within 170-180 points. This is really a pity because this could affect GP assignments next season.

But there is something different I noticed compared to last season: She looked as focused as ever, and her mental game seemed to have changed. In the warm up both in the SP and FS she now concentrated on getting the most of out it. Earlier she had a tendencies of only doing some jumps and kinda just hanging around and stop with the coaches not sure what to do next, not doing the most out of the warm up. Now she was 100% focused on getting her task done. This is a big step. Another thing which was great was that she actually smiled in her FS yesterday despite the errors she just made. Another victory. It was hard to watch her in K&C, but as she wiping away her tears she was looking in the camera - I think that is another victory because earlier she has just looked down at her hands when she got the score. I hope she can take all this, along with the magical SP performance with her and continue to work and skate as long as she like. Because she has made progression every season and she is slowly getting there. This is better than last year, and now she had a clean SP, and she really tried in her FS.

Also I was wondering about the dress - I was surprised she changed it from the gold dress to this one. The dress looked new, but then I watched a clip from Olympic channel this morning and she had something similar in Sochi? She is so brave!

Another thing, Gracie jumps have looked more solid than ever in practice and warm up this season, but the FS was a mental game. I hope the USFS can see her potensial and actually send her to some international events this season if it´s possible and safe. It doesn´t have to be a Challenger. If she wants to skate for another season, it would be good if she can just secure the minimums now and build up her confidence and maybe if she does well she can get a GP next season based on what she does the rest of the season. I actually think a B-event would do her good and that she can get out her potensial there, minus the pressure. She could easily score 180+ and maybe get a podium in an event. The question is, will the USFS send her?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratz to Mariah, Karen and Isabeau with the podium, and Gabbie with the pewter medal! USFS will announce the womens team today and it´s not going to be a big surprise.

It´s nice Mariah finally won the title.

Starr almost clean FS was another highlight for me, I love the dress and music she is skating to. It really fits her. I hope Starr gets a spot for 4CC, I would think it´s very likely. I guess Gabby is given a spot for 4CC with Lindsay if they are not going to name them as reserve for Beijing.

I´m wondering how they are going to pick substitutes for OG, it´s more relevant than ever i´m afraid. And as it was discussed earlier I don´t think they can have the reserve go to 4CC, that would be risky if the substitute might end up catching covid in Tallinn or on the plane. But it´s really difficult, if you only get picked as reserve for the team and not a spot at 4CC, you could end up getting nothing.

On another note, I wanted to say something about Gracie. I think everybody wanted her to follow up the good SP and not fall apart jumpwise, and if she somehow had managed to not double her jumps she could have been in top 5-7. Margins was small with a lot of ladies within 170-180 points. This is really a pity because this could affect GP assignments next season.

But there is something different I noticed compared to last season: She looked as focused as ever, and her mental game seemed to have changed. In the warm up both in the SP and FS she now concentrated on getting the most of out it. Earlier she had a tendencies of only doing some jumps and kinda just hanging around and stop with the coaches not sure what to do next, not doing the most out of the warm up. Now she was 100% focused on getting her task done. This is a big step. Another thing which was great was that she actually smiled in her FS yesterday despite the errors she just made. Another victory. It was hard to watch her in K&C, but as she wiping away her tears she was looking in the camera - I think that is another victory because earlier she has just looked down at her hands when she got the score. I hope she can take all this, along with the magical SP performance with her and continue to work and skate as long as she like. Because she has made progression every season and she is slowly getting there. This is better than last year, and now she had a clean SP, and she really tried in her FS.

Also I was wondering about the dress - I was surprised she changed it from the gold dress to this one. The dress looked new, but then I watched a clip from Olympic channel this morning and she had something similar in Sochi? She is so brave!

Another thing, Gracie jumps have looked more solid than ever in practice and warm up this season, but the FS was a mental game. I hope the USFS can see her potensial and actually send her to some international events this season if it´s possible and safe. It doesn´t have to be a Challenger. If she wants to skate for another season, it would be good if she can just secure the minimums now and build up her confidence and maybe if she does well she can get a GP next season based on what she does the rest of the season. I actually think a B-event would do her good and that she can get out her potensial there, minus the pressure. She could easily score 180+ and maybe get a podium in an event. The question is, will the USFS send her?
What time are they announcing the women's team?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's very much how I feel too. I'm not going to allow myself to get completely sad over this event I just watched, so I am focusing on the human interest aspect (because world class competitive quality of skating just is NOT there anymore sadly, it reminds me of Canadian ladies and JRo getting a stadium standing O at Nats for a 4 unsteady triple performance). Mariah has worked hard and her family has sacrificed so much for her skating. I don't think I'd ever just sell my house and live in an RV for years to support my kid's skating. So, I'm happy for her as a person. I'm happy she's headed to the Olympics. I'm happy she can show her ex that 'she will survive'. And she seems like she could be a sweet person. So good for her. I just can't get excited over her skating or the thought of her in the Team competition.....
I adore Mariah. She is in person exactly as she is on the ice. She always seems very happy and excited and grateful to be introduced whether she’s at an early Season Senior B. US Nationals is always my favorite event of the year. Don’t worry, I doubt she will skate in the team event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think it was progress. She didn’t fall and to quote Tara she “didn’t let go of the performance.”

I think she is brave too but I don’t tell her that (on those occasions I actually get to see her and gasp out a few words). It seems kind of…I dunno. When I go to a swimming competition people are always saying “you’re so brave” and the only way I can possibly interpret that as “wow as big as you are you actually put on a bathing suit and come to this competition.” I agree that she’s brave. She once said on a podcast “I’m not brave, soldiers are brave.” There’s more than one way to be brave Gracie!

She can send herself to Cranberry Cup as she did last year. Unfortunately I don’t think it was low pressure for her. SCOB used her heavily in advertising the event and her picture was on the Zanboni. She has improved VASTLY since that event and it was in August.

If USFS doesn’t know she is adored they are deaf dumb and blind. I will drive for days (literally) to see her skate for what, total of 6 minutes? USFS knows this too.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope Alysa gets some counseling before the Olympics. She's not in a good space right now. That movement with her arms at the end of her short like she was a teapot or something, instead of bowing....I guess she was trying to be funny.

Isabeau, Gabby, and Lindsay are dead serious about skating so next year's Nationals should be very interesting!
I took it as she was making a heart with her arms, sending love to the fans, like many skaters do in the K&C with their hands -- but I could easily be wrong.

@norwegianfairytale I can't "love" your thoughtful post about Gracie enough! It would be great to see her go another season or two if she wants, because she showed significant progress this year, and you laid it out so clearly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Mariah! She got the gold she should have had in 2020. How about that double axel she stepped out of? Didn't she add that to make up for doubling the combo? That sloppy axel was the winning move, I think.

I love Karen, but her UR's.....or should I say Tammy Gambill's URs. Her skaters consistently under rotate. It's gotta be said! Audrey Shin is the new Karen Chen.

Sadly, I don't think Amber will get anything from US Figure Skating. I think they believe chances were given this year that she passed on. The same with Starr. Two of the three criteria were competitiveness and consistency.....I think they are ready to move on. (Camden and Tomoki are on the chopping block also, I feel. They both need a big win tomorrow.)

Tomoki is not there. He did not make the trip. Not sure if he has disclosed why.

I think they almost have to nominate Amber and Starr to the Olympic alternates along with whichever of Gabby and Lindsay are old enough and anyone else they can. Not sure how many alternates are allowed. The summer Olympics allowed extra alternates to be named and I hope the Winter Olympics will do the same.

I agree on Alysa. I wish people would not annoint the next savior skaters who will finally beat the Russians. But it’s already happening.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
Now the US might find it harder to decide which ladies or lady skates team.
I have a feeling this might be the team for the event - okay, fine...this is what I think should be on the team. LOL.
  • Dance: C/B (short), H/D (free) - since the ShibSibs did both programs last OLY, they prolly are fine splitting so they can get a medal
  • Pairs: 2022 Nats Champs - most likely CG/L - unless USFS can see K/F complete both short and long programs clean post Nats
  • Ladies: Liu (short), Bell (free)
  • Men: Zhou (short), Chen (free)

Country
Norway
I think it was progress. She didn’t fall and to quote Tara she “didn’t let go of the performance.”

I think she is brave too but I don’t tell her that (on those occasions I actually get to see her and gasp out a few words). It seems kind of…I dunno. When I go to a swimming competition people are always saying “you’re so brave” and the only way I can possibly interpret that as “wow as big as you are you actually put on a bathing suit and come to this competition.” I agree that she’s brave. She once said on a podcast “I’m not brave, soldiers are brave.” There’s more than one way to be brave Gracie!

She can send herself to Cranberry Cup as she did last year. Unfortunately I don’t think it was low pressure for her. SCOB used her heavily in advertising the event and her picture was on the Zanboni. She has improved VASTLY since that event and it was in August.

If USFS doesn’t know she is adored they are deaf dumb and blind. I will drive for days (literally) to see her skate for what, total of 6 minutes? USFS knows this too.
Yes, she is making progress all the time!

You are right, we don´t need to say she is brave, all though she is we don´t need to say to her face :) Anyways, I would like to add that the new dress is lovely. I didn´t quite catch the details as I watched yesterday but the details with the small colored stones is just beautiful.

Isn´t Cranberry cup like the beginning of next season or do I think about another competition? I was thinking about her doing another competition like the next months before the season is over. She is in competition form now and it would be a long time if she is not going to compete again before August. Challenge Cup in Netherlands for example (February?). All though she can can keep up by training, I think it´s quite another thing to do competitions. If she only does one international competition per season it´s harder for her to get the minimum as well and put a lot of pressure on that one competition. Many skaters need more than one try. Under normal circumstances though she would easily had got the SP minimum for 4CC and Olympics at Cranberry.

If she wants of course. When that said, crossing continents with the big surge of Omicron right now is perhaps not the best strategy.

Last edited:

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have a feeling this might be the team for the event - okay, fine...this is what I think should be on the team. LOL.
  • Dance: C/B (short), H/D (free) - since the ShibSibs did both programs last OLY, they prolly are fine splitting so they can get a medal
  • Pairs: 2022 Nats Champs - most likely CG/L - unless USFS can see K/F complete both short and long programs clean post Nats
You can only swap two, so you have to remove one of your splits.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's sad to say but this was maybe the most forgettable ladies event in over a decade for me. The combination of injuries to Bradie then Amber and Alysa dropping out made the FP anticlimactic though to be honest after Amber blew it in the SP the team was mostly set but it still would have been nice to see them skate. Usually a Nationals during an Olympic years is even more exciting then usual but it just felt like the deciding factor of who made the team wasn't even what was put out on the ice because all of the missing skaters.

Last edited:

xabia

On the Ice
Wow, watching on tv with commentary -- Johnny gushed over pretty much everyone, especially the top 3. Mariah (I'm paraphrasing, but this is close) takes a skating rink that is like the ice palace in Narnia and melts the ice and warms everyone's hearts, drawing them in to her performance; Karen is "pure aesthetic" and later "turns a choreographic sequence into an art form" and of course Isabeau with her balletic sensibilities and composure on the ice at such a young age. Then at the end, he and Tara are literally teary for Mariah, and Terry asks them to compare our women to the Russians. I think they manage most of the time to be realistic about our women without being too harsh -- and a lot of times, like this one, they were asked to make the comparison.
I’ve just finished viewing on the Olympic Channel with Ben Agosto as commentator (sorry, Americans, I had to look him up as I don’t follow ice dance). He was also over enthusiastic about everyone’s performance, and almost ecstatic by the end of Mariah Bell’s program, despite her several flaws. But the worst thing was that he wouldn’t shut up during the performances, and since the volume balance was off between his commentary and the skaters’ music, I had to lower the volume to avoid him shouting, with the result that I couldn’t hear the music. I know a lot of people don’t like Ted Barton, but at least he respects the skater and the viewer by remaining silent during the performance.
PS. Isabeau Levito should have won. She was head and shoulders above everyone.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They can only split two disciplines, I believe. So only one lady can skate for the team, most likely.

skatefan17

On the Ice
They can only split two disciplines. I think it should be the pairs and dance since that equates to more people getting medals and those were most exciting disciplines this season.