2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What an exciting event!

I'm so proud of all the U.S. men this season! And Malinin! Am really looking forward to seeing him grow into himself and mature!

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Pereiro

On the Ice
Country
Russia
So, i have a question - how exactly Brown got his 10s and 9.75s in PCS while it is against rules? Same question about Chen.
I would be pleased if answer come from usual "witnesses of Russian overscoring".

Amei

Record Breaker
Stressful event overall, cleansing my palate of that stress watching some old skates of Tatiana Malinina after it was mentioned in the men's competition thread that Ilia's mother was a figure skater. She was good

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, i have a question - how exactly Brown got his 10s and 9.75s in PCS while it is against rules? Same question about Chen.
I would be pleased if answer come from usual "witnesses of Russian overscoring".

What rules is it against? If you don't see the stellar quality of Jason's skating, you don't see it, but I'm glad the judges did for PCS at least.

What does scoring of Russian athletes have to do with US Nats?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aside from the arguments about Olympic selection, I was very surprised (and pleased) at Camden's excellent competition!

Liam is a new skater on my radar - I like his program very much.

And Dinh Tran's old-school vibe hit me right in the feels.

Another pretty good session from the men in the free, but NOTHING compared to the short program euphoria I felt.

Amei

Record Breaker
What rules is it against? If you don't see the stellar quality of Jason's skating, you don't see it, but I'm glad the judges did for PCS at least.

What does scoring of Russian athletes have to do with US Nats?

According to the ISU rules, you cannot get 10s a program with a serious error.

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/26060-program-component-chart-2021/file

Nationals judging is usually always suspect with favorites getting propped up and non-favorites held down when they have great skates, there's a reason it doesn't count for anything internationally.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/26060-program-component-chart-2021/file

Nationals judging is usually always suspect with favorites getting propped up and non-favorites held down when they have great skates, there's a reason it doesn't count for anything internationally.

Well, that's true every single Nationals (except maybe Japan and Korea) has home cooking perfected. Given the scoring here today, I would hardly call Jason "propped up" :laugh:

Is this real question? From someone who actually is fan of this sport?
Brown has serious error so "9.75 Max score SS, TR, CO 9.50 Max score PE, IN", Chen has serious errors so "9.25 Max score SS, TR, CO 8.75 Max score PE, IN"

So a "serious error" in a jump means that a skater can't get 10s in interpretation? Very odd, particularly since the jump error did not detract in any way from Jason's interpretation: one of the reasons he deserves those tens. But it is Nats, so I'm still not sure what rules it is against

readernick

Medalist
Obviously not as great as the SP. I like Vincent but he should have been 4th. Every jump was UR. He shouldn't be on the podium. It was blatantly unfair to ignore all of that. Brown/ Chen were overscored in PCS.( Brown not by much) but that isn't anything compared to the TES score that Vincent got. I feel bad for Vincent and they could still put him on the team but Jason should have the bronze by about 10 points.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
As much as I love Jason skating, I find that his time have past now. He already made the Olympic in 2014. If the judge would have want him on the team, they just have to boost his score over Zhou and that's not what happen here. The judge put Zhou over Brown. So basicaly to me, the team should be Nathan Chen, Illia Malinin and Vincent Zhou.

Jason has multiple time to showing progress in the quad jump and he fail and is not able to success quad jump.

I would send the top 3 for the Olympic and think that Illia deserve his place really much over Jason base on his beautiful quad jump and 2nd place overall here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Vincent proved yet again that Nathan Chen must be selected to compete both segments of the Team event if USA wants a high chance of winning Gold.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have to agree that Vincent should have got fourth. If anyone in this competition was held up it was him. It seems to fit a pattern that when the really big opportunities arise - he chokes!! Skating last probably didn't help any but at one time or another every skater has to skate last. I was very pleased with Camden's skate and Dinh Tran's skate. I hope this is a new beginning for both of them.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Does it mean that a program with 1 serious error and a program with 5 serious errors can both get 9s?

Sorry, it's getting late in my time zone and I am too tired to go through the chart myself.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent was 3rd because of the SP: he scored 112.78 to Jason's 100.84.
Vincent's 11.94 SP lead more than made up for Jason's 11.56 FS lead.

Both men had mistakes in their FS,. It isn't as if Jason was clean and Vincent wasn't.

Of the top 4, only Ilia Malinin turned in a clean FS.

Last edited:

Pereiro

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Does it mean that a program with 1 serious error and a program with 5 serious errors can both get 9s?
No, with more than 1 serious error you cant get more than 8.75 in PE, IN. But you still can get up to 9.25 in SS, TR, CO