2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Murayeva almost beating Akatyeva in PCS even with a fall.

They really want her on that worlds team.
Muravieva didn't fall, though... She missed the combination because she had to step out of the landing, not because she fell.

(For anyone wondering, this is not considered a serious mistake worthy of a PCS cap (and even if it was, the cap is higher in all PCS categories than the highest score she received for each))

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
The fight for the medals behind Akateva will be intense tomorrow. Samodelkina, Petrosian, Zhilina and Muravieva can all do it.
Yeah, junior ladies are rivalling the boys in unpredictability :D

Sad for Zinina though 😢 Wonder if she will be able to score high enough to stay on the National team...

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, the free skate will be crucial for Zinina. Another bad skate and she's out I'm afraid...
She is one of those skaters who land everything in practice and even warmups and then this happens.

Depressed about Muravieva. She is really unlucky with the year she was born in. This season two skaters got two GP spots with no ultra-c at all, now suddenly three 3As are not enough to guarantee any.

Vemvane

On the Ice
I don't even understand how Nastya fell - she looked fine during the take-off and her axis didn't look that off either, but then her skate just slipped almost side-ways upon landing? Can anyone with some more knowledge than me explain why?
Possibly didn't get enough height to check out in time, so the rotation continued on the ice; slowing the video down, looks like she couldn't get her free leg back in time to save herself either. On the other hand, she may have just been unlucky enough to come down at just the wrong angle, and ice is slippery. Disclaimer: don't skate, am no expert, you may get a different answer from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
She is one of those skaters who land everything in practice and even warmups and then this happens.

Depressed about Muravieva. She is really unlucky with the year she was born in. This season two skaters got two GP spots with no ultra-c at all, now suddenly three 3As are not enough to guarantee any.
Yes the fight for senior GP spots next season will be a blood bath. Right now it looks like one of Petrosian, Samodelkina, Muravieva will not get any. That's why this competition is so important. All three of them needs to go to JW to better their SB's. And that won't happen because of Akateva (and perhaps Zhilina).

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes the fight for senior GP spots next season will be a blood bath. Right now it looks like one of Petrosian, Samodelkina, Muravieva will not get any. That's why this competition is so important. All three of them needs to go to JW to better their SB's. And that won't happen because of Akateva (and perhaps Zhilina).
Usacheva and Muravieva could get one each, Usacheva has only a SB, no ranking, just like Muravieva if she doesn't go to JW. There also may be retirements and those who miss GP (as long as they don't pull a Samsonov!).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Usacheva and Muravieva could get one each, Usacheva has only a SB, no ranking, just like Muravieva if she doesn't go to JW. There also may be retirements and those who miss GP (as long as they don't pull a Samsonov!).
Yes, retirements. Somehow I have a feeling we won't see Kostornaia next season, even though she has said she will continue.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, retirements. Somehow I have a feeling we won't see Kostornaia next season, even though she has said she will continue.
Usacheva is a question mark as well. Coming back in the current field after such a long time off with no ultra-c seems somewhat pointless, but who knows. Well, at least the Fed seems to be aware of Muravieva's potential.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Usacheva is a question mark as well. Coming back in the current field after such a long time off with no ultra-c seems somewhat pointless, but who knows. Well, at least the Fed seems to be aware of Muravieva's potential.
Yes, I would hate to see one of these girls kept at junior level just because there is no room for them.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, I would hate to see one of these girls kept at junior level just because there is no room for them.
I am hoping this time the Fed will go around the potential contenders with the question: "are you really, really sure you will actually need those GP spots?"

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Would Sinitsyna or Khromykh be at risk of losing spots, since their results this season have been OK but not great, or am I overestimating the cutthroatness of the Russian ladies' field? :scratch2:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Just as a little overview of how GP assignments happen (or are supposed to happen) as by the rules of the ISU (these are of this season's GP, but they largely stay the same each season):

2 GP assignments guaranteed: Placing in the top 12 at the ISU World Championships 2022
1 GP assignment guaranteed: Top 24 in the ISU World Standings, Top 24 in Seasons best scores
Preference in the selection process: "Come-Back" Skaters, "Return" skaters, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022

Everything else seems to be left up to the federations and is somewhat shrouded in mystery...😅

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don't even understand how Nastya fell - she looked fine during the take-off and her axis didn't look that off either, but then her skate just slipped almost side-ways upon landing? Can anyone with some more knowledge than me explain why?
To me it looks like she took off on a slight lean that got more pronounced in the air. Probably nerves.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sofia Muravieva 😭😭😭😭

Really wanted 3S at Junior Worlds. After nailing her 3A 3T in practice, she could have solidified a top three Sofia SP standing. Now she needs to skate the free skate of her life to make it to Worlds. I think Sofia A and Sofia S are solid enough to hold on. It will be a battle between Adeliya, Zhilina and Sofia M. Rooting for Sofia M.

Last edited: