Boot woes & recommendations? | Golden Skate

Boot woes & recommendations?

newbieskater

Spectator
Hello!

I'm 25 y.o. (female) and currently working on my level 4 skills in the LTS program. So far I've been skating in Jackson Artiste, which I purchased on my own before I decided to seriously commit to this sport and learn to skate properly. As it turns out, though, the skates I bought were about 1.5 sizes too big for me, as I was compensating for a wide front of my foot by getting a larger skate, length-wise. To make it more complicated, my feet are slightly different sizes, and this means that while my right foot has been feeling okay in the too-big-skates, my left foot is now pretty much swimming in the skate, and I find myself slipping and/or being pitched frighteningly far onto my heel when doing crossovers because the entire front of my foot has so much space that it lifts right up in the skate.

So long story short, I finally got properly fitted and due to the width issues, the skate tech that fit me recommended Edea Chorus as my best option. I've since been scouring forums, reading about this boot, and I've come across some opinions that with the Chorus, I'd be overbooting myself. On the other hand, several other online sources list the Chorus as an appropriate boot to take an adult skater through the second half of the LTS levels, and that it's hard (though not impossible) to overboot in Edeas.

Hoping to get some opinions here!
I did try it on in the shop and liked the feel & how much more easily I could get a nice knee bend than in my Jacksons.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!

I'm 25 y.o. (female) and currently working on my level 4 skills in the LTS program. So far I've been skating in Jackson Artiste, which I purchased on my own before I decided to seriously commit to this sport and learn to skate properly. As it turns out, though, the skates I bought were about 1.5 sizes too big for me, as I was compensating for a wide front of my foot by getting a larger skate, length-wise. To make it more complicated, my feet are slightly different sizes, and this means that while my right foot has been feeling okay in the too-big-skates, my left foot is now pretty much swimming in the skate, and I find myself slipping and/or being pitched frighteningly far onto my heel when doing crossovers because the entire front of my foot has so much space that it lifts right up in the skate.

So long story short, I finally got properly fitted and due to the width issues, the skate tech that fit me recommended Edea Chorus as my best option. I've since been scouring forums, reading about this boot, and I've come across some opinions that with the Chorus, I'd be overbooting myself. On the other hand, several other online sources list the Chorus as an appropriate boot to take an adult skater through the second half of the LTS levels, and that it's hard (though not impossible) to overboot in Edeas.

Hoping to get some opinions here!
I did try it on in the shop and liked the feel & how much more easily I could get a nice knee bend than in my Jacksons.
Hi and welcome!

Is your foot width narrow or wide? And if one foot is bigger than the other you may need semi-custom skates. And I'm not convinced you need an edea but I'll wait for you to answer the above questions. ;)

newbieskater

Spectator
Hi and welcome!

Is your foot width narrow or wide? And if one foot is bigger than the other you may need semi-custom skates. And I'm not convinced you need an edea but I'll wait for you to answer the above questions. ;)
Thank you!

My foot is wide. I was using Artistes with a "C" width, and according to the skate tech, to get the right width in my correct size, I'd have to have a width of something like "EEE." But the issue is also that my heel is narrow, and one of the problems with the Artistes is that my left heel slips.

As for the difference between feet, it's not super pronounced, so the skate tech didn't recommend a custom route. Budget was also a concern for me, and according to him, the best choice all around seems to be Edea Chorus fitted to my left foot's dimensions, with the right boot "reshaped" to make a wider toe box. He did mention something about how he can reshape the Edeas but he can't do the same with the Jacksons.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you!

My foot is wide. I was using Artistes with a "C" width, and according to the skate tech, to get the right width in my correct size, I'd have to have a width of something like "EEE." But the issue is also that my heel is narrow, and one of the problems with the Artistes is that my left heel slips.

As for the difference between feet, it's not super pronounced, so the skate tech didn't recommend a custom route. Budget was also a concern for me, and according to him, the best choice all around seems to be Edea Chorus fitted to my left foot's dimensions, with the right boot "reshaped" to make a wider toe box. He did mention something about how he can reshape the Edeas but he can't do the same with the Jacksons.
Please find a new tech. Where are you in the world? He should be saying he can reshape the jackson not the edea. I'm not convinced that he has your foot measured correctly (you don't measure the same as with shoes), did he trace them etc?
Also, if your foot is wide the last boot you want is Edea, they're for more narrow feet and the tops fit differently than other brands, and it isn't what you need.
With what I know, your foot would work with Jackson and Risport.

newbieskater

Spectator
Please find a new tech. Where are you in the world? He should be saying he can reshape the jackson not the edea. I'm not convinced that he has your foot measured correctly (you don't measure the same as with shoes), did he trace them etc?
Also, if your foot is wide the last boot you want is Edea, they're for more narrow feet and the tops fit differently than other brands, and it isn't what you need.
With what I know, your foot would work with Jackson and Risport.
Oh wow. Okay. I'm in Michigan and he's the best-reviewed figure skate tech I could find within a reasonable distance (the rest over here are all hockey shops). He did trace my foot and measured it several different ways, including some Edea-branded contraption. In terms of my foot, it's weirdly wide around the ball of my foot/base of my toes but narrow everywhere else, especially in the heel.

When he measured me for Jacksons, my size ended up like 4EEE (which I've never heard of Jackson making, do they?). It's hard to recall the exact conversation right now but he said something along the lines of that if I went for Jacksons, I'd have to go up to a model like Debut to fit properly, but that would definitely be overbooting. And it seems the Jackson idea got dropped then; I asked for something more within my budget & level, and he mentioned Edea Chorus.

I have to say the Edea boot he showed me did fit nicely and feel good on my foot.

newbieskater

Spectator
Just to add: he also showed me an example of another customer's Edea boot, in which he reshaped the toe box to be wider, and it looked okay to me.

Elija

On the Ice
Just to add: he also showed me an example of another customer's Edea boot, in which he reshaped the toe box to be wider, and it looked okay to me.
You can definitely reshape edeas if that is what is best for your foot, I have worn them for years and my coach (who is trained to do so) has punched out/stretched/tightened my boots at different times for different reasons. They aren’t baked like a leather boot, but can be manipulated a lot in terms of width and punching out spots. I had mine stretched massively across the toe box to accomodate an injury I had at one point.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You can definitely reshape edeas if that is what is best for your foot, I have worn them for years and my coach (who is trained to do so) has punched out/stretched/tightened my boots at different times for different reasons. They aren’t baked like a leather boot, but can be manipulated a lot in terms of width and punching out spots. I had mine stretched massively across the toe box to accomodate an injury I had at one point.
Yes, you can manipulate Edea but it's not advised to do so to the point you are saying.

OP (@newbieskater) , if your foot is shaped the way it is I'm going to once again say you aren't going to fit an Edea the way you need to. Edea's are mostly for more narrow feet.
Also, you need a split width boot. You aren't used to the way a boot should fit in the first place so that's not going to help with the way this Edea "supposedly" fits your foot.

I'm going to PM you so you don't have to put private info (what fitter you used etc) out here on the public board and also so I can help you further with fitters.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
When he measured me for Jacksons, my size ended up like 4EEE (which I've never heard of Jackson making, do they?). It's hard to recall the exact conversation right now but he said something along the lines of that if I went for Jacksons, I'd have to go up to a model like Debut to fit properly, but that would definitely be overbooting. And it seems the Jackson idea got dropped then; I asked for something more within my budget & level, and he mentioned Edea Chorus.

Hello, fellow wide-footed skater here. When I was in Jacksons, I was fitted for them and had to order a custom split width skate. So the heel was narrow and then the semi custom order was to get an E width (pretty sure I was closer to EE but I digress). At the time it took about 6 weeks to get in. Jackson now has new tech that makes it easier to get a custom fit.

If you can travel to a shop that has multiple options or someone who is experienced with multiple brands, that may help you a lot.