ISU takes one further step towards raising the age limit | Golden Skate

ISU takes one further step towards raising the age limit

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
From Russian media reports:

The ISU Council called for a phased increase of the age limit to 17 years in figure skating

The Council of the International Skating Union (ISU) called for a phased increase of the age limit in figure skating, Match TV reports, citing a source familiar with the situation.

A proposal to raise the age has been submitted to the 2022 ISU Congress.
The decision was formed on the basis of data received from the ISU Medical Board on this issue.

The Council proposes in the next season to leave the age of advancement to seniors in all disciplines unchanged (at 15 years), in the 2023/24 season to raise the age to 16 years, in the 2024/25 season to 17 years.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Wow. 16 is the age I expected, but not 17, I understand it from the perspective that even at 17 many girls grow and go through puberty but it seems like a lot, even in gymnastics the limit is 16 years of age.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Whatever you think about the raising of the age limit, I like the notion of a phased increase so as not to hinder any current competitors. Not so nice perhaps when you're 13 now though, because the age will just have risen when you turn 15, and again when you've turned 16.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

The ISU Council called for a phased increase of the age limit to 17 years in figure skating

The Council of the International Skating Union (ISU) called for a phased increase of the age limit in figure skating, Match TV reports, citing a source familiar with the situation.

The decision was formed on the basis of data received from the ISU Medical Board on this issue.

The Council proposes in the next season to leave the age of advancement to seniors in all disciplines unchanged (at 15 years), in the 2023/24 season to raise the age to 16 years, in the 2024/25 season to 17 years.
I am glad women were not singled out as a discipline. If they want it at 17, by all means, so long as it is across the board. Will the junior entry will be raised to 15 as well?

Novalis

Record Breaker

So Sofia Akatyeva is constantly 1 week too young

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If they had to be 15 by July 1st of last year to be a senior this season, then they have to be 16 before July 1st of this year.
Right, but if they jump directly from 15 to 17, they will miss a year. If it's 16, they will age with the limit increase

Amei

Record Breaker
Right, but if they jump directly from 15 to 17, they will miss a year. If it's 16, they will age with the limit increase

But based on the OP, next season the age limit is still 15, then the following year it increases to 16 then 17. Why not start the progression now? Next season you have to be 16 then the following year 17.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
More from sports.ru (they have a tendency to post their info in small snippets):

The Medical Commission of the International Skating Union (ISU) explained the need to raise the age limit in figure skating.

"Competition, training and recovery depend not only on chronological age, but also on the age of development (physical, mental, cognitive and emotional maturity), as well as on the age of the skeleton (the degree of ossification of the bone structure).
When revising the qualifications, you need to take into account all of these ages.

It is possible that the admission of underage athletes to (adult) competitions can expose them to loads and risks that are considered unsuitable for their age, not only physically, but also from the point of view of the psychological and social development of the child," the agenda of the ISU Congress says, as quoted by Match TV.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
But based on the OP, next season the age limit is still 15, then the following year it increases to 16 then 17. Why not start the progression now? Next season you have to be 16 then the following year 17.
I think that's because a lot of things will have to be rewritten and reissued, so they take a year for paperwork and all the feds to realign their teams for transition, changing training priorities, guidelines, protocols, etc. They probably also will need to do subsequent changes to the junior division. A large change in rules like this is a big thing that impacts documents you had forgotten that had existed. I am sure during this year, some retired pundits be getting phone calls to make sure nothing was omitted that could be impacted. Paperwork tends to spiderweb, when a rule that was in place for a long time is changed. Heh, just let me say that I have some experience with regs and oh, crap! moments when changes happen.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I am glad women were not singled out as a discipline. If they want it at 17, by all means, so long as it is across the board. Will the junior entry will be raised to 15 as well?
I actually think they will keep the Junior age limit, to give skaters more time to develop in that division.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I actually think they will keep the Junior age limit, to give skaters more time to develop in that division.
That might increase the psychological load though, extending the junior division length... Well, we'll see how it pans out.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
That might increase the psychological load though, extending the junior division length... Well, we'll see how it pans out.
Well, many men compete at Juniors even at their 17,18, or 19 years of age, most champions have that age. Not sure would would happen with the ladies though, one more year should be fine, don't know about two.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, many men compete at Juniors even at their 17,18, or 19 years of age, most champions have that age. Not sure would would happen with the ladies though, one more year should be fine, don't know about two.
Yes, but men rarely start at 13 either, so basically the re-adjustment will mimic men’ physiology and maturing—and men were not impacted by 15 yo possibility of entry into seniors to start with (at least for now, because there is some troubling jumping in pre-teens and early teens in Russian men with so far poor health outlook), so if the aim is to provide relief for women, lifting junior division entry age makes sense. And maybe for men too, so we don’t get 12 yo boys with three quads… maybe for once, the regulations will forestall a problem they try to adress, albeit unknowingly, who knows.