Boot Recommendations for Adult Skater | Golden Skate

Boot Recommendations for Adult Skater

thesinglelutz

Spectator
Hello Everyone. I am a long time lurker and have finally registered.

As the post’s title suggests, I’m starting to look into purchasing new boots and I’d love some recommendations.

My current skates are SP Teri Super Teri boots and MK Vision blades. They are 12 years old and my coach has finally said they are on their last legs. My previous skates were SP Teri Pro Teri boots with JW CA blades. I had those for 5 years. George Spiteri fitted me both times.

I skate about an hour a week and take private lessons once a week. I’d have all my singles, a 1/2-1/4 cheated axel, and just recently,
a 1/2 rotation cheated double sal. Spin wise I have a sit, camel, scratch, back scratch, and am working on hair cutter and back sit spins.

These new skates will hopefully get my through to a clean axel, double sal and someday perhaps a double toe and double loop. I hope to test Adult Gold MIF this fall and likely adult bronze and silver FS.

My coach and I agree that my next blade will be the MK Pro as the vision has been retired. When we discussed boots, my coach has recommended Avanta as we are in the Bay Area, but I want to keep all my options open. I am even considering staying in SP Teri, but I’ve always wanted to also potentially try another brand.

With my Sp Teri boots, I’ve never laced them all the way up when I skate. The top hook is always left undone. It’s a bit too stiff otherwise (Although lately I’ll tie my skates tight then loosely do up the top hook). I’ve always struggled with getting enough knee bend and spinning.

I think that covers everything. I’m 33, 5’5” and 132 lbs. I wear a 7.5 and I think a C width.

Timeline wise I’ll be looking to get fitted in summer once I have a bit more saved up but I want to begin doing some research now so I know which direction to go and whom to schedule a visit with. I’d like to hear your recommendations.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi Bay Area Neighbor,

I tried to post a response last night, but it disappeared. I'll highlight it.

First, you are in an awful time to be buying boots. Everyone is backordered and manufacturers are struggling with a shortage of raw materials (mostly leather, but other things as well). As far as I know Avanta wasn't even taking new orders recently. Harlick is over a year out on delivering. George is still here. He sold Sp-Teri to some folks in Tennessee where they are continuing to make the boots. He operates a small skate shop a block or so away from the old factory. I saw him on Saturday for a sharpening and he was fitting a girl into some Sp-Teri's when I arrived. He fits Sp-Teri (Tennessee made boots) Jackson (fitted my skater for a full custom pair last Summer) Riedell and the newish carbon fiber Aura boots (he said the kids in Vacaville are hot on those). Aside from him, Teri Ann Brown in San Mateo (Ice Oasis, only fits Jackson and Riedell) Nick Roby (Pro Swizzles in SJ, fits Edea and Risport) are the only other fitters in the area I know of.

I would call Avanta, and Harlick to ask directly what their order and delivery schedules are...and take whatever they say with a huge chunk of salt. For my skater's custom Jacksons it took 12 weeks, so long that she grew half a size in the meantime. Luckily Aaron Spiteri was able to stretch and punch them to fit perfectly, not for long I suspect, but we'll get at least another couple of months out of them. I hope in the meantime things improve so that we can get another custom in a reasonable time frame.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If SPTeri has worked for you in the past, then I'd stick with those. The only other brands I'd suggest would be Risport and possibly Jackson, Graf is another option.

I would not look at Harlick or Edea, your foot doesn't seem like they would mesh with them well. Though, if you do fit a edea width wise and like the feeling of a more open ankle, those would give it to you. If you need specific style suggestions in each brand, I can do so if you ask.

MK Pro would be a great choice for a blade!

Good luck! :)

thesinglelutz

Spectator
Thank you so much to both of you for your prompt replies. It is a bit troubling to hear how difficult procuring skates is at the moment, but I can’t say I am all that surprised . I think my skates have enough life to last at least a few more months while I sort out what’s next. I’ll probably return to A and G and have George or Aaron fit me.

Based on what I am hearing, I think I’m between Risport and SP Teri. Ic3Rabbit, I would love to hear your boot model recommendations for both brands. Are Risport boots any lighter than my brick or an Sp Teri boots?

I almost wonder if perhaps I was initially overbooted as 12 years is a long life for skates.

On a side note, when I first heard of the brand Risport, I’ll admit I thought it was related to the gymnastics supplier Reisport. Gymnastics was my sport growing up and through college. I swore by their grips for uneven bars : )

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much to both of you for your prompt replies. It is a bit troubling to hear how difficult procuring skates is at the moment, but I can’t say I am all that surprised . I think my skates have enough life to last at least a few more months while I sort out what’s next. I’ll probably return to A and G and have George or Aaron fit me.

Based on what I am hearing, I think I’m between Risport and SP Teri. Ic3Rabbit, I would love to hear your boot model recommendations for both brands. Are Risport boots any lighter than my brick or an Sp Teri boots?

I almost wonder if perhaps I was initially overbooted as 12 years is a long life for skates.

On a side note, when I first heard of the brand Risport, I’ll admit I thought it was related to the gymnastics supplier Reisport. Gymnastics was my sport growing up and through college. I swore by their grips for uneven bars : )
You should be okay in an Royal Pro or possibly RF1, I'd be afraid the latter would be overbooting you a bit though. And to answer your question, anything today is going to be lighter than boots from 12 years ago LOL!

If you want anything further, let me know! :)

Sibelius

On the Ice

George would never have overbooted you. He's as conservative as they come in boots matched for size and skill and we've had to fight (well, disagree...) in moving to a stiffer boot when my skater said she didn't feel she had enough support and had lost confidence. He reluctantly agreed that the lost confidence was more important than the risk of a stiffer boot at the time.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I wore SP Teri Super Teri Deluxe for years but recently moved (via Graf) to Risport Royal Pros. Lovely boots. Weirdly light after the SP-Teris but cloud-like padding.

thesinglelutz

Spectator
I have called around and found that Nick is able to get Risport Pro Royals in a fairly quick turnaround. We had a nice conversation and both agreed it would be the best boot for my skill level and price point. I’m hoping to go in for a fitting next month. Thank you again to everyone. I’ll keep you updated once I am fitted.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have called around and found that Nick is able to get Risport Pro Royals in a fairly quick turnaround. We had a nice conversation and both agreed it would be the best boot for my skill level and price point. I’m hoping to go in for a fitting next month. Thank you again to everyone. I’ll keep you updated once I am fitted.
:party2:So glad my suggestion possibly going to happen for you and quickly! Please let us know how it goes!