2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Women's Short Program | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Women's Short Program

YagsFan

On the Ice
In case it hasn't been posted, here's a link to Women's sp small medal ceremony and press conference:

Thank you for the link. I had no idea they did this "small medal" thing----is that in all ISU comps., or just at Worlds? And does anyone know how the skaters feel about it? It seemed a bit odd to me, especially since it was all press; lots of photos, but no applause. But if it makes the skaters happy . . .

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for the link. I had no idea they did this "small medal" thing----is that in all ISU comps., or just at Worlds? And does anyone know how the skaters feel about it? It seemed a bit odd to me, especially since it was all press; lots of photos, but no applause. But if it makes the skaters happy . . .
When it is the same skaters who win overall, it's kind of redundant. But when the placements change the way they did in the men's division, I guess it makes sense. I'm especially pleased for Camden Pulkinen receiving the small bronze medal in the fp. He was the only male competitor (I believe) who skated two clean performances, especially of the top guys.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I had no idea they did this "small medal" thing----is that in all ISU comps., or just at Worlds? And does anyone know how the skaters feel about it? It seemed a bit odd to me, especially since it was all press; lots of photos, but no applause. But if it makes the skaters happy . . .

Small medals are awarded at all ISU Championships.

And going back to pre-pandemic times, I recall some ISU Championship small medal ceremonies that were held in a public space at the arena -- and not only welcomed the public to attend and applaud, but also included a Q and A session for the public to interact with the small medalists.

As to how the skaters feel about small medals, my point of view would be, "What's not to like?"
It would make me think less of a skater if they were so jaded that an ISU Championship small medal meant nothing to them. Just my opinion.

YagsFan

On the Ice
Small medals are awarded at all ISU Championships.

And going back to pre-pandemic times, I recall some ISU Championship small medal ceremonies that were held in a public space at the arena -- and not only welcomed the public to attend and applaud, but also included a Q and A session for the public to interact with the small medalists.

As to how the skaters feel about small medals, my point of view would be, "What's not to like?"
It would make me think less of a skater if they were so jaded that an ISU Championship small medal meant nothing to them. Just my opinion.
Well! You learn something new every day! It probably wouldn't have looked so uncomfortable the way you describe it, and yeah, the skaters probably appreciate being recognized for that initial win. Might be especially meaningful for someone who might well not end up in the top 3 after the free.
Thanks for answering:)

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Two things were obvious. The US Fed has way more clout than Korea, and Higuchi needs to find a different country to skate for.
Find a different country cannot fix Higuchi's inconsistency issue. Even Higuchi represent Russia or America, she won't be on podium if she made mistake in short and also fell two times in Free. Same as Mana. On the other hand, Koari and Mai Mihara are very consistent though. If you want to find something to blame, you should blame JSF for the team selection criteria.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Find a different country cannot fix Higuchi's inconsistency issue. Even Higuchi represent Russia or America, she won't be on podium if she made mistake in short and also fell two times in Free. Same as Mana. On the other hand, Koari and Mai Mihara are very consistent though. If you want to find something to blame, you should blame JSF for the team selection criteria.
She had an injured leg coming in. The criteria wasn't the problem. Mihara blew it when she had the chance. JSF was behind Mai all season but she blew it.

alizardbeth

Spectator
Country
Canada
Rewatched so I can produce more coherent thoughts than "YAY KAORI." Honestly, there are a few music choices that are odd (for the skater) for me this season and at least one program that I don't think fits the song. Despite that, plenty to enjoy. Many SBs/close to SB scores and even the women who stumbled a bit still had elements they performed beautifully.

Nicole - overall impressed me a lot this competition! Definitely the best I've seen her skate this program (which is honestly not my favorite, but the style of it suits her very well)

Mariah - this program is beautiful, and her expression!! She emotes from head to toe. So wonderful to see her do it so well at Worlds.

Haein - very elegant and expressive! I had to double-take at her age - she did very well with a big piece of music (and one that always makes me think of Carolina Kostner, at that)

Kaori - this is such a unique program. Love her steps and spins and the power in her jumps. The step sequence toward the end gave me chills! So in-sync with the music, head-to-toe expression. I love how unusual that combo spin right at the end is, very cool. Her "is that really the number??" reaction to her score was also a delight to see.

Loena - she is such an elegant skater, but there's a lot of fire in it, too! What looked to me like absolutely perfect spins. Excellent timing with the music. Fun to watch! I'm so glad for her to have that good a performance to finish off the season.

Wakaba and Karen both had lovely step sequences! Young's spins were gorgeous, and both she and Alysa had great performances overall. Really enjoyed watching! :love2:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Chicken/Egg situation potentially. If Wakababy skated for a Fed that backed her more clearly (like JSF does with Sakamoto), she might be more confident in what she's putting out. More confidence allows her to skate more freely and less restrained = better scores, less missed elements

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Chicken/Egg situation potentially. If Wakababy skated for a Fed that backed her more clearly (like JSF does with Sakamoto), she might be more confident in what she's putting out. More confidence allows her to skate more freely and less restrained = better scores, less missed elements
You're right. Wakaba was ridiculous underscored at Olympics. She had fully rotated 3A and backloaded triple/triples but only got 75 score in short program? Meanwhile, Mariah Bell got 72 score with her middling step sequence, speed, double axel and underrotated triple/triple (not even backloading) at World. I also don't find anything special about Koari either. 80 score at World short program? That's the privilege for skaters with huge federation support. Both Kaori and Mariah Bell got federation support and they always get generous boost in PCS and GOE. Mariah Bell just barely landed the triples at Olympics but still got ridiculous high scores. Young You, Wakaba and Alysa are not that lucky and they need to have an absolute clean skates. Otherwise, judges will find any single flaw in their programs. Alysa Liu landed the best triple axel in World but the triple axel was considered as under-rotation. If Koari and Mariah Bell landed the same triple axle, judges would give them fully credit or Q! at least.