Véronik Mallet Retires from Competitive Skating | Golden Skate

Véronik Mallet Retires from Competitive Skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Canadian silver medallist Véronik Mallet, 28, Sept-Îles, Que., has chosen to retire from competitive skating. Mallet is the current national silver medallist and was the national bronze medallist on two occasions, in 2015 and 2019. Mallet was also a junior silver medallist in 2012. Other domestic highlights for Mallet include a silver (2016) and bronze (2022) medal at Skate Canada Challenge.

“What an honour it has been to represent this country. Throughout my career, there have been so many ups and downs and I’ve learned so many lessons from it. It is now my time to give back to younger skaters,” said Mallet. “Thank you Skate Canada for all the opportunities, to all the coaches who helped me get there, to Bruno and Brian, for giving me the joy of skating again and the most important, thank you to my family for their endless support and sacrifice.”

On the world stage, Mallet competed at various Grand Prix events and Challenger series events. Mallet’s best finishes internationally were at the 2013 Skate Canada International where she finished eighth and at the 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy where she finished fourth. This past season Mallet competed at the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships® 2022 in which she finished 13th.

“Véronik has been a big part of our women's program for the past nine years and it was fantastic to see her capture the silver medal at nationals this past year,” said Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada. “Skate Canada is very proud of Véronik and we are excited to see what her future plans hold."

Weathergal

Medalist
I always liked her and enjoyed her skating as well. She fought through quite a few injuries, and it was wonderful to see her make a successful comeback and capture the silver at Nationals last year and go to 4CCs. I wish her much success in the future!

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Not surprised to see this news. Just too bad that she had such bad luck over the years. Another Can Lady who never really achieved all she could have due to bad luck and injuries.
I agree like Amelie Lacoste, Alaine Chartrand and her Veronik Mallet who have likely be able to go to the Olympic but have never be Olympian due to bad timing or bad luck.

It's sad for these canadian ladies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree like Amelie Lacoste, Alaine Chartrand and her Veronik Mallet who have likely be able to go to the Olympic but have never be Olympian due to bad timing or bad luck.

I don't think Amélie had such bad luck... more like she struggled with the toe pick jumps (was it because an injury.. i don't recall it... she had a glorious triple loop though) but I agree for Alaine and Veronik regarding bad luck and injuries.

Kudos to Veronik for coming back strong after what could have been a career ending injury... winning silver at this year's national was certainly a highlight.

withwings

On the Ice

I was very impressed by Alaine Chartrand. Powerful, expressive... she had everything to be on the very top.
THere is something particular about Canadian skaters/skating, something which distincts them. Maybe it is so just in my eyes. I am not Canadian, though.

When I first time saw skating of young ( teenager) Cynthia Phaneuf... oh, I was so sure she will be next World Champion!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was very impressed by Alaine Chartrand. Powerful, expressive... she had everything to be on the very top.
THere is something particular about Canadian skaters/skating, something which distincts them. Maybe it is so just in my eyes. I am not Canadian, though.

When I first time saw skating of young ( teenager) Cynthia Phaneuf... oh, I was so sure she will be next World Champion!
I am Canadian and biased. I think Canadian skaters are different... maybe not always the most successful, but I enjoy it. Skating skills, speed and powerful jumps (usually). Cynthia was amazing. Her 2010 worlds outing deserved bronze.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
I also remember the bad luck Susan Humphreys had. She went to worlds and placed 9th her 1st time, then she dropped at Nationals the next few years due to back injuries. She finally came back and won Nationals only to go to worlds and have to WD due to a foot injury. She got such flack because we lost our Olympic Spot in ladies. And that was it for her.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bad luck and Canadian women... we could write a novel... Josée (several times including the stolen olympic moment thanks to harding's broken lace)... Kaetlyn's major injury... Gabby's concussion... there is more... an more... and more.... and though she managed to conquer that devastating moment, how can we not have a special place in our heart for Joannie at 2010 games... Sigh..

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I also remember the bad luck Susan Humphreys had. She went to worlds and placed 9th her 1st time, then she dropped at Nationals the next few years due to back injuries. She finally came back and won Nationals only to go to worlds and have to WD due to a foot injury. She got such flack because we lost our Olympic Spot in ladies. And that was it for her.
Bad luck and bad choices for Susan H. I wonder if this had been later if she could have been fined like Rachel flatt. Canadas real disappointment was Josee Chouinard. So much potential and maybe Tracey Wainman.

withwings

On the Ice
I am Canadian and biased. I think Canadian skaters are different... maybe not always the most successful, but I enjoy it. Skating skills, speed and powerful jumps (usually). Cynthia was amazing. Her 2010 worlds outing deserved bronze.
They ARE different. Hmmm... yes, indeed, skating sills, speed and powerful jumps, especially powerful jumps but there is something else, which is hard to define. However it is, Canadian fs has its own " personality".

I do not think you are biased at all.

I saw/was lucky to see Cynthia in 2004. She had everything then! If I am not mistaken, she was not sent to the Worlds after winning Canadian Nationals. That indeed was a very bad luck for her.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
Bad luck and Canadian women... we could write a novel... Josée (several times including the stolen olympic moment thanks to harding's broken lace)... Kaetlyn's major injury... Gabby's concussion... there is more... an more... and more.... and though she managed to conquer that devastating moment, how can we not have a special place in our heart for Joannie at 2010 games... Sigh..

I do not think that this so- called bad luck does take away anything of what these skaters has given to the audience. And they stay in memory. its already some sort of "medal".