Boot and blade recs for adult returning after 10 years | Golden Skate

Boot and blade recs for adult returning after 10 years

anotheradultsk8r

Spectator
Hi all!

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Quick background - I grew up skating and quit around age 16 (back in 2007 or so). At that point I had jumps through my double sal and camel / sit / basic layback. I had gotten new skates maybe a year or so before I quit. GAM boots and Coronation Comet blades (fitted professionally).

Fast forward to March of this year… and I’m back on the ice! Unbelievably fun to be back and it truly is bringing me so much joy :)

I’m now in my 30s, but still in my skates from back in the dark ages of 2007… they’re in relatively good shape and don’t necessarily need to be replaced right now (coach agrees after taking a look), feet are comfy and I really don’t have much discomfort. I also know GAM was bought by Jackson and the Comet has been discontinued…

I’ve gotten back my axel and working now on reviving the double sal. Spins are a bit of a struggle to center but generally are coming back.

So my questions are:

Has skate technology changed so much in the last 15 years that it’d be silly not to upgrade?

If I do decide to get new skates soon.. any recs (especially for boots? Love the GAMs but they don’t make them anymore)

Blades - coach recommended Coronation Aces or MK Phantom. Any advice on strengths/weaknesses of each? I know the Comet has that weird 8.5 ft rocker so leaning toward the Phantoms because it’s closer.. but not sure if that really matters.

Thank you!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Quick background - I grew up skating and quit around age 16 (back in 2007 or so). At that point I had jumps through my double sal and camel / sit / basic layback. I had gotten new skates maybe a year or so before I quit. GAM boots and Coronation Comet blades (fitted professionally).

Fast forward to March of this year… and I’m back on the ice! Unbelievably fun to be back and it truly is bringing me so much joy :)

I’m now in my 30s, but still in my skates from back in the dark ages of 2007… they’re in relatively good shape and don’t necessarily need to be replaced right now (coach agrees after taking a look), feet are comfy and I really don’t have much discomfort. I also know GAM was bought by Jackson and the Comet has been discontinued…

I’ve gotten back my axel and working now on reviving the double sal. Spins are a bit of a struggle to center but generally are coming back.

So my questions are:

Has skate technology changed so much in the last 15 years that it’d be silly not to upgrade?

If I do decide to get new skates soon.. any recs (especially for boots? Love the GAMs but they don’t make them anymore)

Blades - coach recommended Coronation Aces or MK Phantom. Any advice on strengths/weaknesses of each? I know the Comet has that weird 8.5 ft rocker so leaning toward the Phantoms because it’s closer.. but not sure if that really matters.

Thank you!!
Hi and welcome! :)

Skate technology has changed but unless the boots are broken down or causing you issues or your blades aren't able to be sharpened much more in the future, I'd stay in those for a bit.

From Gam, I'd probably go to Jackson or Risport, but the next question is: Has your foot changed with age?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by Phantom's is closer to Comet?! The only thing they have in common is that they are both MK blades. Otherwise, Phantom has a more aggressive pick, and are 7ft rocker compared to 8.5ft rocker on the Comet. If you want one closer to Comet you'd be better off with a JW Gold Seal (be aware it has high stanchions), or Pattern 99, which both have 8 ft rockers.

anotheradultsk8r

Spectator
Thank you! :)

From Gam, I'd probably go to Jackson or Risport, but the next question is: Has your foot changed with age?
Re: foot changing with age... I'm guessing that they must have changed somewhat, given how long it's been, but I also feel like my current skates fit surprisingly well. So perhaps they've only changed minimally? I'll definitely go see a fitter to find out for sure once I do decide to get new skates, but wanted a sense of which brands might be best so I can pick the right fitter just to get started. So this is helpful!
Also, I don't understand what you mean by Phantom's is closer to Comet?! The only thing they have in common is that they are both MK blades.
Re: Phantoms/Comet... I must have mis-remembered what I had been researching :) sounds like the Phantoms are extremely different than the Comets! I think I do want to stick with an 8ft rocker, so it sounds like the Gold Seals or Pattern 99s are probably my best bets. I'll do a bit more research since I've got some time before I go for it!

Thanks for your help.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi and welcome! :)

Skate technology has changed but unless the boots are broken down or causing you issues or your blades aren't able to be sharpened much more in the future, I'd stay in those for a bit.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by Phantom's is closer to Comet?! The only thing they have in common is that they are both MK blades. Otherwise, Phantom has a more aggressive pick, and are 7ft rocker compared to 8.5ft rocker on the Comet. If you want one closer to Comet you'd be better off with a JW Gold Seal (be aware it has high stanchions), or Pattern 99, which both have 8 ft rockers.
Er, are we sure about that...? I thought the Coronation Comets were John Wilson, like the Aces, etc...

I'm totally with Ic3Rabbit's advice above. Stick with the boots if they're not broken down or causing you pain. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ditto the blades. I believe you can still find Coronation Comets for sale if you search but whether there are any in your size is another matter. If you want a different blade, then I'd second the recommendation of a JW Gold Seal.

Last edited:

spinningdancer

Rinkside
Skate tech has changed, and I believe Jackson discontinued Gam. I was also in Gams about 15 years ago, and I liked them. Unfortunately, mine were in pretty bad shape and kinda gross (foam tongue hardened, and there was rot on the bottom under the blade sole plates) after being worn for a few years when I was a teen, and then sitting in storage. Tried on Jackson once about 5 years ago when I was coming back to skating as an adult, and the regular width was way too wide for my foot. The store said they'd have to special order narrow width for me, but I had a hunch they'd still be too wide, especially in the heel, so I got custom Harlicks instead. Was happy with those for a bit, but my last pair just wasn't right. So much money for boots I couldn't wear. I purchased that last pair of customs a few years ago, and currently, with the features I got, they'd cost around $1800!!! So I decided to try Edea. So far, I am happy with the Edeas. If your Gams are still in good shape, I'd just keep using them until they break down. As for blades, I'm in Phantoms and I really like them.

Lutz Mark

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

Figure8.ca still quite a few sizes of the Coronation Comet. Only $210 CAD! Other older JW ones too: Comet Test, Coronation Dance, Four Aces. Quite a few Gams models on close out too, but limited size ranges. Most are like half price or so.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi,

Figure8.ca still quite a few sizes of the Coronation Comet. Only $210 CAD! Other older JW ones too: Comet Test, Coronation Dance, Four Aces. Quite a few Gams models on close out too, but limited size ranges. Most are like half price or so.
I believe Coronation Dance are still in production.

emam

Spectator
While boots have changed drastically, many of the blades remain the same. I started wearing Gold Seals when I was 12 and I still wearing them at 60! I should add, that I have had many pairs over the years.