2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022-23 US Women’s Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Isabeau is the World junior champion so of course she gets preferential scoring. This was my first time seeing her skate in person and she looks exactly as she does on video with small ice coverage and a bit juniorish. She did rotate her jumps with the exception of that Lutz. When she got off the ice she was upset that she missed the combo as was her coach. (An advantage of attending this club competition is that there is no Kiss and Cry and I could hear the coach and skater talk when they get off the ice) Clearly she is very talented and balletic. I will see her again in Norwood for SA in a few weeks.

I was surprised that Lindsay was so behind her in the end but she did have rotation issues and a wobbly spin. Lindsay has more speed and coverage, though. She also looks like a senior.
I saw both Isabeau and Lindsay live this summer and I concur. Isabeau is not as impressive live in person as she is on camera, the hitch in her jumps is noticeable and she skates very “small.” Lindsay, though, looks like she will develop into the real deal. I also thought that Lindsay’s presentation and confidence seem to have improved a lot over last year’s.

halulupu

Final Flight
I saw both Isabeau and Lindsay live this summer and I concur. Isabeau is not as impressive live in person as she is on camera, the hitch in her jumps is noticeable and she skates very “small.” Lindsay, though, looks like she will develop into the real deal. I also thought that Lindsay’s presentation and confidence seem to have improved a lot over last year’s.
Agree. Isabeu wihle very balletic and wonderful spins, is so slow and that reaching back in her toe jumps looks very wrong and bad. Her lutz edge is very questionable too. But she rotates her jumps at least

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it is sort of counterproductive to compare Isabeau and Lindsey at this point.. I tend to think of them as a team but each with their individual strengths..
Isabeau’s performances are a delight
And I enjoy Lindsey’s athleticism..
she did attempt the 3A though it cost her so they both push the envelop and am so looking forward to watching their development

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it is sort of counterproductive to compare Isabeau and Lindsey at this point.. I tend to think of them as a team but each with their individual strengths..
Isabeau’s performances are a delight
And I enjoy Lindsey’s athleticism..
she did attempt the 3A though it cost her so they both push the envelop and am so looking forward to watching their development

I agree, they are both different skaters but they are the top 2 junior turned seniors this year, so it's inevitable people will compare the two.
BTW, I think Lindsay did two 2As, not a 3A in her free. She botched or UR'ed a few landings.

(LOL, I got a backhanded mention on this week's TSL around the 8:50 mark. Dave is right, the SCNY should hire a videographer to capture the programs - skating fans should NOT have to rely on fancams like mine. And I have no idea why they held the higher profile events in a rink with no bleachers, that's why I was standing by the boards in the first place because I was not going to injure myself to try to sit on top of the lockers that were 4 feet off the ground, like some other spectators. I actually went into the wrong rink at first and realized the Junior Women were competing there - it's the rink where I usually go for the ITNY performances).

Last edited:

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I agree, they are both different skaters but they are the top 2 junior turned seniors this year, so it's inevitable people will compare the two.
BTW, I think Lindsay did two 2As, not a 3A in her free. She botched or UR'ed a few landings.

(LOL, I got a backhanded mention on this week's TSL around the 8:50 mark. Dave is right, the SCNY should hire a videographer to capture the programs - skating fans should NOT have to rely on fancams like mine. And I have no idea why they held the higher profile events in a rink with no bleachers, that's why I was standing by the boards in the first place because I was not going to injure myself to try to sit on top of the lockers that were 4 feet off the ground, like some other spectators. I actually went into the wrong rink at first and realized the Junior Women were competing there - it's the rink where I usually go for the ITNY performances).
I watched your videos! I have heard all preseason that Lindsay has a cool moment in her free skate but have never been able to find a video. Thank you for posting.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

😀 I think the videos were just fine and am grateful for them! Lindsey attempted the 3A in a comp last year … she stood up but 2-footed it
and sank in the final standing so my guess she is working to perfect it..
I think I heard Isabeau is also working on ultra jumps but cannot give reference for this..

dancelion21

On the Ice
😀 I think the videos were just fine and am grateful for them! Lindsey attempted the 3A in a comp last year … she stood up but 2-footed it
and sank in the final standing so my guess she is working to perfect it..
I think I heard Isabeau is also working on ultra jumps but cannot give reference for this..
Isabeau attempted the quad toe at a domestic competition last year, but it was downgraded.

halulupu

Final Flight
Let's be realstic, if Isabeu and Lindsey don't have their 4t and 3a ready now in their youth, they won't have them in two years (or maybe an Amber situation, 10% chance to land a 3a while botching the rest). But that's fine

katymay

Medalist
But, what is funny to me, is that now that the Russians can’t compete, Lindsay and Isabeau have stopped the ultra c elements in competitions. It is just an example of how you need that push to light your fire to go for more.
Agree. and that is why I am proud of Mia Kalin. I think Mia's skating skills have made a huge improvement this year, just needs better coaching on the lutz-if she can do such a nice quad toe, she can do the other jumps. And while there are no Russians, the Japanese and Korean ladies ARE doing triple axels, (and such EASY triple axels!) so being content with only the other triples is not the way to go forward for US women.

dancelion21

On the Ice
But, what is funny to me, is that now that the Russians can’t compete, Lindsay and Isabeau have stopped the ultra c elements in competitions. It is just an example of how you need that push to light your fire to go for more.

I mean, Isabeau and Lindsay never consistently went for their ultra-c elements last year either. Isabeau only tried hers at a low-stakes domestic competition (probably knowing that it was too inconsistent to go for in an international competition).

Lindsay also only tried her triple axel at low-stakes domestic competitions, a minor Senior B and 2022 US Nationals as a hail mary to try to get on the Olympic team. I don't think either skater ever had it consistent, and it's probably for the better that they're not attempting the jumps which would tank their scores and possibly get them injured.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree. and that is why I am proud of Mia Kalin. I think Mia's skating skills have made a huge improvement this year, just needs better coaching on the lutz-if she can do such a nice quad toe, she can do the other jumps. And while there are no Russians, the Japanese and Korean ladies ARE doing triple axels, (and such EASY triple axels!) so being content with only the other triples is not the way to go forward for US women.
Mia got her second JGP in Egna. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And it’s fine with me. I don’t care about ultra c elements. Nor about the Russians.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sonja Hilmer seems to be pushing the sport in new interesting ways beyond ultra c elements through new movement and artistic expression. I really like this new direction; I hope she and others who take this route are recognized and rewarded in future. Ultra c elements are fine if trained with coaches who know what they are doing keeping skater safety and capability as top priority; Lindsey and Isabeau are interesting enough now and can train ultra c in their own time and place

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sonja Hilmer seems to be pushing the sport in new interesting ways beyond ultra c elements through new movement and artistic expression. I really like this new direction; I hope she and others who take this route are recognized and rewarded in future. Ultra c elements are fine if trained with coaches who know what they are doing keeping skater safety and capability as top priority; Lindsey and Isabeau are interesting enough now and can train ultra c in their own time and place
I agree. Sonja is a wonderful skater.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sonia Baram is still skating singles and pairs, apparently. She was entered in Pasedena but withdrew.

brakes

On the Ice
I'm glad somebody else noticed that.
I was very surprised watching her skate in JGP this year, firstly due to two quads (of a very decent quality imo), secondly because of her skating improvement. It's obvious she worked on it a lot during the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.