Quick question about the Czech Republic | Golden Skate

Quick question about the Czech Republic

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I keep seeing the CR being mentioned with regard to Russian skaters. Like, someone wrote after Maiya's latest article that they hope to see her there. There have beeen numerous references to it. I'm at a loss. What are they referring to? I thought maybe the Chechen Republic, but what's going on there? Someone please enlight me. Thanks!

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I know what you mean, but afaik this CR is just a google translation error. It has nothing to do with the Chechen/Czech Republic. It refers to some kind of competition, maybe worlds or nationals, I do not remember anymore.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
It's a mistranslation of the abbreviation "ЧР"(i.e. "CR"/"ChR"). It can be used in multiple different contexts, including as an abbreviation for both the Czech and Chechen Republics, but in figure skating, it's used to refer to the (national) Championship of Russia.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
THANK YOU!!! That's what I was thinking, and that it was being held in Chechnya, but I looked at it's in Siberia. This finally makes sense!! :bsplit:

I also recently learned what a "mushroom" is: Judges propping up skaters with inflated PCS. And a "butterfly" is a popped jump. Trying to educate the world! lol

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
So glad someone asked this question, I have been wondering the same. I know they are referring to the Russian Nationals but I kept thinking do they hold it in the Czech Republic which didn't make any sense :laugh:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
One of my faves is Maya translating to "Lame". When I write a comment in English about her I am so tempted to write Lame, figuring it will be translated into Russian correctly to Russian readers! lol

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
One of my faves is Maya translating to "Lame". When I write a comment in English about her I am so tempted to write Lame, figuring it will be translated into Russian correctly to Russian readers! lol

If “Khromykh” turns into “lame”, it doesn’t mean that “lame” will be turned into “Khromykh”. :)

“Khromykh” means “belonging to the family of those who had Khromyie as their nickname”. “Khromyie” is the plural of an adjective which literally means “having a limping leg”.
I think there is no need to turn somebody’s name into a reason for comments which look hateful.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
To say the truth, I even googled possible origin of the name “Khromykh”. The internet says that the version about a “limping leg” is not the only one, but I’d say this is the first idea which comes to mind of a person who knows Russian language. It is said it also can be that the name Varfolomei (Bartholomew) was changed into “Vakhromei”, then changed into “Khromei” – and later gave this last name. Maybe they met the name “Vakhromei” in written sources and it gave a reason to suppose such a possibility.
(Well, I know that in English with time some words or phrases were changed too, when people pronounced them quickly.)
I see that the last name Vakhromeev (Vakhromei’s) does exist.

Last edited: