2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Nationals isn’t the most important criteria for Worlds selection. You can finish below the top 10 and not break 190 and still be selected!
Nationals has never been the most important criteria for Worlds selection.

Getting on the podium at Nationals has been the most important criteria for Worlds selection.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Nothing for Shun 😭

I hope Rinka kills it at Worlds but I think they should have let Mana go to 4CC? She gets nothing for being the third highest placing senior lady here...
Payback for her performance at Olympics and the prior Worlds?

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
WC
Men: Shoma, Sota, Kazuki
Women: Kaori, Mai, Rinka
Pairs: RikuRyu
ID: KanaDai

4CC
Men: Koshiro, Shun, Kao
Women: Mone, Hana, Rinka
Pairs: RikuRyu
ID: KanaDai, KoKo

JWC
Men: Nozomu Yoshioka, Kao Miura
Women: Mao Shimada, Ami Nakai
Pairs: HaruSumi
ID: KidaMori

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Nothing for Shun 😭

I hope Rinka kills it at Worlds but I think they should have let Mana go to 4CC? She gets nothing for being the third highest placing senior lady here...
Shun is assigned to 4CC

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think it's good they split the world and 4CC teams!
Delighted for Kazuki to go to home Worlds.

I kind of think Shunsuke deserved junior worlds and I'm heartbroken for Yuma. Hope he can rest...although he has the winter universiade next month!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Getting on the podium at Nationals has been the most important criteria for Worlds selection.
No it isn’t or the men’s World team would be different. You can finish as low as possible at Nationals, but as long as you’re losing to the right skaters, it’s all grand!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I guess the fact that they are sending someone to 4CC means that they will choose someone (or some team) that does not meet requirements, but only after exhausting any other option that does.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
No it isn’t or the men’s World team would be different.
Most important doesn't mean all important. The only guarantee for the men and women is the National title. Everything else gets you a seat at the table to wait while the JSF meets behind closed doors and does what they do.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Well, mixed feelings about the picks, but again, relieved that cooler heads prevailed and the sanctity of qualification requirements were preserved.

Go Mai!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I hope that Rinka is aware of the dream she is living. From a skater who was resigned to compete domestically, already competing in seniors, to a skater sent to junior worlds at 19yo, a challenger, two GPs, competed at GPF, is now sent to 4CC and worlds despite of a 12th place at nats.
All of this because of a mix of that 6th place at last years nats + a good amount of luck.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Payback? It's them who gave her all those assignements, they could have made other choices. All she did was to skate the best she could. She doesn't have to be punished for their bad choices.
Yeah, "payback" was the wrong choice of word. She was given a chance to breakout, it didn't happen, and now it's time to give that chance to someone else until she proves that she's ready for another chance.