2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Team Japan (WC/JWC/4CC)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I hope that Rinka is aware of the dream she is living. From a skater who was resigned to compete domestically, already competing in seniors, to a skater sent to junior worlds at 19yo, a challenger, two GPs, competed at GPF, is now sent to 4CC and worlds despite of a 12th place at nats.
All of this because of a mix of that 6th place at last years nats + a good amount of luck.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. She's earned all of this.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Payback? It's them who gave her all those assignements, they could have made other choices. All she did was to skate the best she could. She doesn't have to be punished for their bad choices.
I totally agree!
And I hope everyone knows that she knew fans were saying she robbed Mai of the spot and felt guilty about it
This surely led to more pressure and loss of confidence ultimately affecting her performance at OG and WC

Same thing happened with KoKo, except at least Misato and Tim are adults and ultimately dealt with the abuse better

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Rules are made to be broken. They would have been complete idiots if they had not sent their pair to 4CC.
In this case, I agree. Because nobody else was being disadvantaged, as the National champions were ineligible to go anyway.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
As I still don't find the sub lists anywhere, I'll update that later in the top post when I find them.
The sub-list to WC is updated in the top post:

Women - Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe
(Sub, in the order of - Hana Yoshida, Mone Chiba, Mana Kawabe)
Men - Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto, Kazuki Tomono
(Sub, in the order of - Shun Sato, Koshiro Shimada, Kao Miura)
Pair - Riku Miura & Ryuichi Kihara
Dance - Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi
(Sub - Misato KOMATSUBARA & Takeru Komatsubara)

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I originally thought I jinxed Kao and he bombed his Nats SP because I've been saying to send him to JWC
But now I'm thinking that had he not bombed he might not have been considered

I'm So Sorry, ShunShun! :pray::pray::pray:
(I'm sure he'll be sent to Egna or CdP and will have another chance for JWC next season)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris with front row seat near K and C at FourCCs. :)
4CC Championships
Women
- Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida, Mone Chiba
(Sub, in the order of - Mana Kawabe, Rion Sumiyoshi, Rika Kihira)
Men - Koshiro Shimada, Shun Sato, Kao Miura
(Sub, in the order of - Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto, Tatsuya Tsuboi)
Pair - Riku Miura & Ryuichi Kihara
Dance - Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi, Misato KOMATSUBARA & Takeru Komatsubara

deedee1

Record Breaker
I dont comment in the comp threads lately, but tonight i feel i should.

would have loved to see JSF will send the followings to 4CC for skate-off, to decide the 3rd spot for Worlds:
-Kawabe/Kihira/Watanabe for WOMEN
-either Shimada/Tomono/Sato, or Tomono/Sato/Yamamoto for MEN

then jucs pick who skate the best THERE. :rolleye:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I dont comment in the comp threads lately, but tonight i feel i should.

would have loved to see JSF will send the followings to 4CC for skate-off, to decide the 3rd spot for Worlds:
-Kawabe/Kihira/Watanabe for WOMEN
-either Shimada/Tomono/Sato, or Tomono/Sato/Yamamoto for MEN

then jucs pick who skate the best THERE. :rolleye:
It would seem them have their own set of rules and dont pay much attention to what I would like to see at Four Conts. :)
But I am happy with the skaters they are allowing me to see....:love2:
Past memories...2019
a k 1.JPG

"Who is that tall dorky guy looking at me in the first row?"
a tall guy.JPG

"Help! I am surrounded!"

a surrounded.JPG

ana

On the Ice
Koshiro should go to Worlds. It's unfair for him. He is national silver medalist. Sota isn't more consistent. JSF should respect more Koshiro Shimada.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Koshiro should go to Worlds. It's unfair for him. He is national silver medalist. Sota isn't more consistent. JSF should respect more Koshiro Shimada.
Sota Yamamoto: two GPs silver + GPF silver, all with higher scores than Shimada
Koshiro Shimada: 0 GP medals, no GPF, lower scores than Yamamoto.

I saw on twitter what Shoma said. Well, if he's talking about Koshiro vs Sota, i hope he will never finish 4th or 5th for whatever reason before his retirement.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

As to your last sentence, big LOL. As to the first, oh, as a Sota fan I do wish the roles were reversed. An easy medal for Sota and a nice big number to look forward to in World Standings points, vs an expanded hard field for Koshiro, and most likely not so many points if he has to face Grassl and the rest again, against whom he keeps losing. I'd take that.

I saw on twitter what Shoma said. Well, if he's talking about Koshiro vs Sota, i hope he will never finish 4th or 5th for whatever reason before his retirement.

What did he say? I didn't see it on Twitter when I checked.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Sota has the second-highest international average score of the Japanese skaters and the third, eighth- and ninth-highest season's scores (and the third-highest season's best of all skaters). His lowest score internationally this season is still 10 points higher than Koshiro's best score internationally.
This is not to mock Koshiro, he's a wonderful skater, but based on international results, Sota is the better and more secure choice.

Koshiro and Kazuki, on the other hand, have shown a lot more similar results, so maybe there could be some debate there, but Kazuki does have the higher season's best (by like 4 points) and higher season's average (by ~4.5), plus a good track record at Worlds, so JSF's decision
is understandable, even if I personally probably would have given Koshiro the chance to prove himself at Worlds and sent Kazuki to 4CC.

Edited to add: If JSF had also taken into consideration international results, the Olympic team last season would have been Kaori (1st at Nats) and Mai (2nd highest season's best and season's average of all Japanese women), with the third spot between Mana and Wakaba. Wakaba had the higher season's average (by 4 points), and beat Mana by 12 points at Nats, but the slightly lower season's best (by less than 0.2), so she would have likely been the third skater chosen.
I assume Mana's difficulties at particularly the Olympics (but also Worlds) have made JSF rethink their blind tendency to base their competition teams on Nationals alone, so that's why we are seeing unusual decisions this season.

Last edited: