2023 Russian Nationals Women's Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023 Russian Nationals Women's Free Skate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't understand anything of what was said during the interview but it had a lovely vibe where everyone was happy and friendly with each other.

Kamila, even in defeat, was all smiles and congratulated Sofia in a way that looked very sincere. She seems like a cheerful and kind person. I'm warming up a lot to her 🤗

And I'm very happy for Liza's medal as well!

I imagine Kamila was very happy to win the silver, especially after her SP.

Also, I think Kamila was most happy that she skated well, and was able to show in competition what she can do. I truly believe most of the skaters' happy reactions have at least as much, if not more, to do with how they skated.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
I know some will think she isn't the best example, but doesn't Kamila landing those quads prove that women's adult bodies can handle that? Yeah i know she's 16 but she isn't a typical 16yo Russian figure skater, skinny/tiny. Very far from being like Anna, Sasha, Aliona or even Medvedeva at the same age. She's actually bigger than Tuktik and i am not only talking about the height.
I totally agree Kamila is bigger and heavier than any other skater in this competition, but she has plenty of "good weight" and by that I don't just mean muscles (which can be a dead weight too) but the right kind of muscles for explosive power in her thighs specifically, especially her vactus lateralis which has always been powerful, you can even see it when she was only 12-13 "Girl on the ball" and even "Spartacus", that allows her to get enough height on her 4T jumps even if she lacks speed, combine that with the mental confidence and experience with landing quads on demand successfully since 2018-19 you get the Kamila 4T consistency

JimR

On the Ice
That was the most important skate of Kamila's career. I could not imagine the pressure she was under after the SP. I'm sure there's bigger fans out there but I like her more than any other skater I have watched, and I thought she would have a melt down in the free skate. I thought a medal was beyond her. I though she would go all or nothing which she did but fall on both quads. I couldn't imagine the pressure she was under. People waiting to sink the boot into her when she failed. Telling her she's too big, didn't drink from a glass, etc. Nasty, disgusting people.

She was unbelievable to deliver both those 4T jumps perfectly. It's the best performance I have watched. She is one of the best athletes I have ever watched in any sport. I think she's up there with the best athletes of all time. She might have a short shelf life being a skater, but hopefully she lasts as long as Tuktik.

I made my feelings clear in the SP thread. I was absolutely adamant the 3A was a massive miscalculation and in the end it's cost her the gold. That SP is not set up to insert a 3A for a start, plus Kamila at her best last season was a 50% chance of landing a 3A. This season she's probably 20% in competition. She hasn't made an error with non-ultra c until tonight (ironically) and even then it didn't cost her much. I think the coaches pushed the 3A. Kamila said after the SP she normally doesn't jump the 3A basically saying the coaches wanted her to attempt it.

All credit to Akateva she's a lovely girl. She's a more talented skater than Shcherbakova or Trusova at their best. It's going to be her vs Kamila until the next Olympics. The positive for Kamila is she doesn't have a lot more growing to do and she's still capable of matching it with Akateva who is now the best in the world. Akateva if and when she gains 5-10kg like Kamila will she be the same skater I don't know. 2026 is a long way away.

Akateva walks away the biggest winner of course and gets what someone of her talent deserves. Kamila takes an enormous confidence boost with that free skate. The 4T is back and not going away. I DID NOT think she could pull it off under that kind of pressure. But she did what all the great athletes do under enormous pressure.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
In my opinion, without throwing shade on anyone else, taking into account the scores in the short and the free, I felt that Elizaveta should have won silver.

Tuktik is an amazing athlete for her longevity, but that free skate was completely out of power by the end and she could have easily lost bronze on another day.

JimR

On the Ice
I didn't understand anything of what was said during the interview but it had a lovely vibe where everyone was happy and friendly with each other.

Kamila, even in defeat, was all smiles and congratulated Sofia in a way that looked very sincere. She seems like a cheerful and kind person. I'm warming up a lot to her 🤗

And I'm very happy for Liza's medal as well!

Akateva is the best of any Russian skaters except the 2021-22 version of Kamila. Better than Alina, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova. And even this season it's very close between Sofia and Kamila, but I have to give the tiniest of edges to Sofia. If Kamila goes for the 2A in the SP of course she likely wins, but then everyone would complain she won without a 3A so we would have to listen to that. I think Kamila gets gold at the GP final.

JimR

On the Ice
I know some will think she isn't the best example, but doesn't Kamila landing those quads prove that women's adult bodies can handle that? Yeah i know she's 16 but she isn't a typical 16yo Russian figure skater, skinny/tiny. Very far from being like Anna, Sasha, Aliona or even Medvedeva at the same age. She's actually bigger than Tuktik and i am not only talking about the height.
Kamila towers over Tuktik. Sofia M is close in height but Kamila is packed with muscle. Kamila is built like an athlete, tennis player.

Kami must be the biggest woman by far to ever land quads in competition and consistently.

I don't think she will grow much more and if she does I think she's proven she can retain the 4T.

Zora

On the Ice
The speed, height, length, distance and landing of Kamila's 4T is spectacular. They look even better than last year with gained weight now.
Her 4Ts were out of this world... I've never seen anything like this, I think even her own quads from last season don't compare. 😱 She deserves all the GOEs for them.
That being said, my favourite program was Sinitsyna's and Liza is in such fantastic form this season, very happy for her.

JimR

On the Ice
Good if she takes that defeat well. Those who are used to win don't always react like that.
Good to see an happy podium.
Yes, it was a classy reaction from Kami. Genuinely happy for Akateva and Tuktik. No tantrums about hating the sport thankfully.

Country
United-States
Here is a person who googled "тулуп" once:)
It was actually from reading English articles like this one (translated from Russian, I'm guessing):

"All the beginning of the season, Kamila Valieva could not restore the quadruple sheepskin coat."

"Tuktamysheva set other goals for herself, fighting with a sheepskin coat."

JimR

On the Ice
Her 4Ts were out of this world... I've never seen anything like this, I think even her own quads from last season don't compare. 😱 She deserves all the GOEs for them.
That being said, my favourite program was Sinitsyna's and Liza is in such fantastic form this season, very happy for her.

She must be the largest female to land a quad of all time and by a margin. In Memoriam is the best SP of all time. No skater will ever have the lightness and be so perfect again, but her artistry is better than last season in my opinion.

She's such a determined athlete I look forward to what she can do 2-3 years from now she will only improve even if the jumps become harder for her.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Tuktik is an amazing athlete for her longevity, but that free skate was completely out of power by the end and she could have easily lost bronze on another day.
I should have added though, I am REALLY REALLY happy for Liza medaling here. Some people might say, "oh, but she won silver at Worlds last year, this isn't as big a deal!" but we all know lots of people consider RusNats to be the toughest competition in the world. So KUDOS to Liza for getting back on that podium for the first time in 8 years!

P.S. While Elizaveta isn't my most favorite skater to *watch*, I am a big fan of her personality and admire her longevity. I have to say this is the best I have ever seen her skate. I saw a marked improvement in her artistry and her spins.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I haven’t seen much of the Russian girls this year, but I was shocked to see Kamila’s form- she looks similar to Alina post Olympics, but she managed to maintain her ability to do the difficult jumps and stamina. Good for her!

The final results seem right to me. Kamila got passed by the young up and comer just as she passed all the others in the past. I can see Liza skating until she’s a senior citizen 😂

Koatcue:
Here is a person who googled "тулуп" once :)

Agent Michael:
It was actually from reading English articles like this one (translated from Russian, I'm guessing):

I feel that I ought to "like" these two posts :), but I don't get it. Wjhat word is translated "sheepskin coat" -- Salchow? Lutz?

DoubleBass

Rinkside
Koatcue:
Here is a person who googled "тулуп" once :)

Agent Michael:

I feel that I ought to "like" these two posts :), but I don't get it. Wjhat word is translated "sheepskin coat" -- Salchow? Lutz?
Toeloop (Russian тулуп) is also a heavy coat made with sheep fur popular among boyars in the 19th and early 20th century, this word is now outdated and almost never used, just like almost no one wears toeloops anymore.