Car-less skaters, what bag do you use? | Golden Skate

Car-less skaters, what bag do you use?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Hi all,
I need a bag for my skates. Been using an old backpack that is slightly too small or duffel bag that is slightly too big, and it’s not working anymore. However, I either bike (have a basket on the back) or take transit to get to the rink. So a big roller bag is out. And so many of the bags also have lots of mesh. Great in theory, but not great when we get hit with bad weather. So, any recommendations of bags that you like or don’t like? Skate specific bag or a good backpack that would fit my skates? Thanks!

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I walk to one rink and drive to the other but can’t be bothered changing out my bag. The backpack I use are the Anello ones - it fits my skates even with the large puffy blade covers, water bottle, skate guards, socks, bunga pads and other small accessories. I also have a mini backpack that I use to bring with me on the ice and leave at the boards. I live in a city with all 4 seasons so it has served me well so far!

Last edited:

LokiPoki

Rinkside
I use a duffel bag, which I take to work and put under my desk on the days I go straight to skating from the office.

I did use to use a smaller hard roller case, but it made too much noise when I was rolling it around and was too bulky and annoying, so I went back to the duffel. I just got it from my sports shop, I think its Under Armor brand.

It's working for me.

The Zuca bags are cute, but I can't justify the expense on them at the moment.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all,
I need a bag for my skates. Been using an old backpack that is slightly too small or duffel bag that is slightly too big, and it’s not working anymore. However, I either bike (have a basket on the back) or take transit to get to the rink. So a big roller bag is out. And so many of the bags also have lots of mesh. Great in theory, but not great when we get hit with bad weather. So, any recommendations of bags that you like or don’t like? Skate specific bag or a good backpack that would fit my skates? Thanks!
A lot depends on how much other stuff you need to carry besides your skates. So you should elaborate. E.g., do you carry a helmet?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
A lot depends on how much other stuff you need to carry besides your skates. So you should elaborate. E.g., do you carry a helmet?
No helmet! The usual stuff. Snacks, water bottle, extra tights and laces, a towel, etc. And maybe a change of clothes or an extra layer.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I use a duffel bag, which I take to work and put under my desk on the days I go straight to skating from the office.

I did use to use a smaller hard roller case, but it made too much noise when I was rolling it around and was too bulky and annoying, so I went back to the duffel. I just got it from my sports shop, I think its Under Armor brand.

It's working for me.

The Zuca bags are cute, but I can't justify the expense on them at the moment.
Zuca are cute, but I have to do stairs when I take transit so that would be...not fun. Can you store your skates upright in the UA bag or do they kay flat?

Elija

On the Ice
I would just get any duffel bag rather than worrying about a skating specific one - then you have a choice of literally thousands. I take public transport to my rink (as do most people due to its inner city location with no free parking) and just have a regular gym bag for my stuff. It works fine. Most other people have also have a regular gym bags, and a few use those transpack backpacks for skates, which also seem to work well.

christy

On the Ice
I used to walk to the rink and used a Transpack. I found it had enough space for everything as the skates went on the sides and everything else went into the middle section. I still use it even though I now have to drive, but it may be too bulky for public transport.

Lucie

Rinkside
I also use public transport and use the Edea trolley backpack, it has different compartments for skates and other things, and is the size of a large backpack. I just carry it on stairs and it’s fine, easier to carry than a Zuca or wheeled case. For me it saves my shoulders and back from the pain I was getting carrying my skates etc in a gym bag. So far has been water resistant except one time I got caught in a very heavy downpour. Probably not ideal for cycling though, but wearing it as a backpack its no less bulky than a transpack but the wheels and frame add weight.

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I used to walk to the rink and used a Transpack. I found it had enough space for everything as the skates went on the sides and everything else went into the middle section. I still use it even though I now have to drive, but it may be too bulky for public transport.
The bulk, and the mesh on the sides for rainy days. I have to walk a bit from the metro to the rink.

Lucie

Rinkside
Adding an update to what I said above about my Edea trolley backpack in case anyone finds it useful. So I was quite impressed with it even though when using as a backpack it’s rather heavy and something on the back inside was leaving a faint black mark on my skates (came off easily but reappeared each time my skates had been in the bag, still haven’t figured out where it’s coming from)- then in the last couple of weeks one of the wheels was sticking intermittently and then as I was lifting it onto the train it fell off - right into the gap! So I had to take it the rest of the way to rink and then back again with one wheel (not fun 😂). Bit miffed tbh as for the price I expected it to last longer - I’ve had it a year, it’s not just the wheel, the side mesh pockets has growing holes in and if they got any bigger my water bottle would fall straight through!

Anyway next day I had to get my skates to the rink somehow, so I dug out my Osprey Fairview 40L backpack as it’s the only bag I have big enough to fit my skates in that isn’t a huge travel bag - it’s not a massive backpacking bag, it’s designed for short stay travel and is under carry on size. And oh my was it easy to carry my skates in, don’t know why I didn’t think of it before, and I breezed through public transport and up and down stairs to the rink and back today with no back or shoulder aches, it felt so light. Haven’t compared it to a transpack but Osprey know their stuff, it’s designed to carry heavy loads with ease and spreads the load properly and is waterproof with compartments and pockets for all your other stuff! I’d forgotten how well a hiking backpack sort of holds the load up for you and the hip belt transfers some of the weight through your pelvis if you have a long walk. Skates went in main compartment upright heel to toe with soakers on and with guards and towel and plenty of room to spare (was a squeeze in the Edea bag). Not cheap, more expensive than a transpack but better for cycling etc as it’s very stable and holds
the weight over your midline where you can control it best. I got mine secondhand and barely used, but even new it’s cheaper than a Zuca. So for anyone who doesn’t want a wheeled bag and has a bit of a hike to the rink and doesn’t mind that it doesn’t look like a skate bag I would highly recommend! 👍

ETA: I swear I’m not sponsored by Osprey! I’ve just always found their products to be great for backpacking and general travelling and I have 3 bags from them. Would recommend if you find one second hand or in a sale to snap it up!

Last edited:

theblade

On the Ice
My kid walks to the rink with a backpack that has compartments. Bought it at a discount store a few years ago for school (High Sierra) and morphed to rink use. However, the zipper separates now due to the weight of skates, so we need to buy a new, better backpack. Skates in soakers and guards in main compartment (also flat heel to toe), water bottle and face cloth for blade wiping in another, smaller pockets for bungas/gloves, another for tape/scissors, etc.

When my kid was younger, we used (and still use) a Zuca at local rinks. For skating/travel, I bought a lightweight hard shell suitcase with a zip side that is still in use over 7 years later (I am a bit fussy and we don't drag the suitcase all over the floor when it needs to be unzipped and try to use tables/benches instead).

(Just asked my kid, and they've seen a few Ospreys used in Europe, and a few used in North America by fairly serious skaters. I am very bargain-conscious, and see that Ospreys are an "expensive, but excellent cost-per-use" backpack. Sometimes the best bargain is the most expensive option, because it lasts the longest.)

Looks like I'll be trying to find a used or on sale Osprey in the future. Great thread!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
@Lucie oh no! Can you get replacement wheels? I’ve switched to an old a north face backpack from my college days, but I may try out my Gregory Jade bag (38L I think) now that I’ve got a longer commute for summer training and need room for more snacks, clothes, and my laptop.

@theblade I am also quite bargain conscious, but will say that I’ve had a few osprey bags (like the kid carrying one) and now have a Gregory hiking/day pack and they really are much nicer and the quality lasts longer than the cheap day pack I had when I was 18. It’s one of those buy well and buy once situations.

Lucie

Rinkside
@Lucie oh no! Can you get replacement wheels? I’ve switched to an old a north face backpack from my college days, but I may try out my Gregory Jade bag (38L I think) now that I’ve got a longer commute for summer training and need room for more snacks, clothes, and my laptop.

@theblade I am also quite bargain conscious, but will say that I’ve had a few osprey bags (like the kid carrying one) and now have a Gregory hiking/day pack and they really are much nicer and the quality lasts longer than the cheap day pack I had when I was 18. It’s one of those buy well and buy once situations.
Just from looking online I can’t find replacement wheels like you can for Zucas, I’ve emailed both Edea and the shop I bought it from so we’ll see if they have any suggestions. I’m not sure I want to continue using it anyway due to the holes in the pockets, the marks left on my skates and the hard plastic ridges in the bottom of the main compartment which I think are causing the mysterious dings in my blade edges which always appear in the same place shortly after a sharpening: and the wheels seem to be push fit rather than bolted on like a Zuca’s. I definitely wouldn’t buy another, I’ll either buy a Zuca or stick with my Osprey. Looks like your Gregory bag also zips completely open at the front like my Osprey does so should be good for carrying skates too! Hiking backpacks ftw!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When doing shows somewhere that I am close enough to walk/bike to rink (usually summer), these are great bags. They have many colours and designs.

theblade

On the Ice
We've seen those Transpack bags at a few rink shops; fairly good price point and an interesting design (and yes, for summer - not for inclement/wet weather due to the mesh).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
We've seen those Transpack bags at a few rink shops; fairly good price point and an interesting design (and yes, for summer - not for inclement/wet weather due to the mesh).
Well, TBH Summer=inclement weather for at least some of the time wherever I've been. The bag has done okay in it. I wouldn't stand around in torrential downpours for hours with it but then again I wouldn't do that with any bag or at all LOL!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, TBH Summer=inclement weather for at least some of the time wherever I've been. The bag has done okay in it. I wouldn't stand around in torrential downpours for hours with it but then again I wouldn't do that with any bag or at all LOL!
You beat me to it. At all the places I've lived, during summers, we have had sudden heavy thunderstorms. I drive everywhere these days. But when I was younger, I travelled exclusively by walking or by bus or train. Early on, I learned to be prepared by having large plastic bags with me ... just in case.

When it's not raining, open mesh pockets are great for letting your skates air out to dry. If you otherwise like these bags, one option is to carry a couple of plastic bags (each bag large enough to hold a skate) in the main compartment. They don't take up much room; and you can protect your skates should it pour.

Lucie

Rinkside
Just from looking online I can’t find replacement wheels like you can for Zucas, I’ve emailed both Edea and the shop I bought it from so we’ll see if they have any suggestions. I’m not sure I want to continue using it anyway due to the holes in the pockets, the marks left on my skates and the hard plastic ridges in the bottom of the main compartment which I think are causing the mysterious dings in my blade edges which always appear in the same place shortly after a sharpening: and the wheels seem to be push fit rather than bolted on like a Zuca’s. I definitely wouldn’t buy another, I’ll either buy a Zuca or stick with my Osprey. Looks like your Gregory bag also zips completely open at the front like my Osprey does so should be good for carrying skates too! Hiking backpacks ftw!
So the shop contacted Edea who say they do not supply replacement parts nor do they do repairs. I wasn’t expecting much but considering they’re such a bit company they should consider providing better aftercare services.
You beat me to it. At all the places I've lived, during summers, we have had sudden heavy thunderstorms. I drive everywhere these days. But when I was younger, I travelled exclusively by walking or by bus or train. Early on, I learned to be prepared by having large plastic bags with me ... just in case.

When it's not raining, open mesh pockets are great for letting your skates air out to dry. If you otherwise like these bags, one option is to carry a couple of plastic bags (each bag large enough to hold a skate) in the main compartment. They don't take up much room; and you can protect your skates should it pour.
Seems rather a faff to go to in order to make up for poor design in a bag that’s not even cheap enough to make it seem worth it, and hardly a quick and easy thing to do in the middle of the street if the heavens unexpectedly open. I’ve had the experience of putting on skates which got damp in a sudden downpour (in the Edea bag which it turns out can resist light rain but nothing torrential) and there are few things more miserable when you’re also damp and cold and the rink is freezing. A good fix if you already have a Transpack though.
I open my bag zip a bit at the top for ventilation if it’s not raining and I take my skates out of my bag as soon as I get home so I don’t feel the need for the large mesh panels to air my skates.
I’d like to try ones of these bags in case I’m really missing out on something but for the price point I’ll wait until the theoretical day when they bring out one with a zip away rain cover like it should really have had in the first place.

Last edited: