New Johnny Weir Interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Interview

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
Donna said:
Yes, and no matter how scary he thinks it is, he'll need a quad too! I hope he can land one in competition soon.

Hi Johnny! I hope you're having a good time in Simsbury and good luck for the next season. Have you ever felt annoyed or irritated when people have asked you when you're going to put in a quad in you're program?

All the time. It's as if people don't realize how physically tough it is, and on top of that how mentally tough it is. Doing a quad in practice is one thing, but doing it in front of hundreds of glaring eyes is quite different. It's scary and I'm sure if there was a role reversal people wouldn't deal with it very well. Especially reporters and many skating fans.

/Sissi

True enough, the reporters and fans won't have a quad in Torino.

But Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Li, Sandhu and Lindemann will.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:

Very well said MM, and others will most likely too, seeing as an Olympic year seems like a time where everybody will step up and give everything they have. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Buttle came up with one.

Kasey

Medalist
Mathman said:

As will Griazev (if he makes it there), Klimkin (ditto), Dambier (ditto), and other lesser-knowns, as well as a not-so-lesser-known Goebel (most likely).

Johnny with a quad....Priceless! ;)

CDMM1991 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Buttle came up with one.
I really want to see what Buttle's strategy will be this year. In the past, the times that he has attempted a quad it took so much out of him that the rest of the program suffered. At Worlds he decided to leave out the quad and go with a "whole package" type of skate, with emphasis on choreography and presentation.

Kasey said:
Johnny with a quad....Priceless!;)
:laugh: :laugh: :rock:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I really want to see what Buttle's strategy will be this year. In the past, the times that he has attempted a quad it took so much out of him that the rest of the program suffered. At Worlds he decided to leave out the quad and go with a "whole package" type of skate, with emphasis on choreography and presentation.

:laugh: :laugh: :rock:

Yet another thing that will make this next season so exciting!! While I think it is possible for quadless men, especially those like Buttle and Weir (and even Lysacek) to have Oly podium potential, I think a quadless strategy relies on other's mistakes. I was thrilled to see both Buttle and Lysacek on the World podium this past season, but I don't think either (or the others) can count on a quadless strategy to put them on the podium next year. A quadless strategy seems by default to rely on the mistakes or withdrawls of others. I really hope the men's event does NOT turn out that way. So I hope ALL of them come on next season with quads!!!! The thought of Buttle and/or Weir and/or Lysecek with a quad or two, in the mix with the already "quaded" and lots of clean skates just makes me drool. :)

Can't wait!!

DG

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Why is it when I click on Rising Star I get only an advert?

Joe

It's been wierd all day. Use the message board link also there in the first post of this thread.

Mary

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Did you scroll down far enough in the Q &A Thread in the temporary forum? After about ten posts the interview is copied. Everything went into the temp forum after the board was hacked

I love the way he answers one of my questions. That I worry more about his costumes than he does! Well somebody ought to worry! :laugh: I usually love his short program costumes, but struggle with the ones he chooses for the long program.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

LOL!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Yet another thing that will make this next season so exciting!! While I think it is possible for quadless men, especially those like Buttle and Weir (and even Lysacek) to have Oly podium potential, I think a quadless strategy relies on other's mistakes. I was thrilled to see both Buttle and Lysacek on the World podium this past season, but I don't think either (or the others) can count on a quadless strategy to put them on the podium next year. A quadless strategy seems by default to rely on the mistakes or withdrawls of others. I really hope the men's event does NOT turn out that way. So I hope ALL of them come on next season with quads!!!! The thought of Buttle and/or Weir and/or Lysecek with a quad or two, in the mix with the already "quaded" and lots of clean skates just makes me drool. :)

Can't wait!!

DG

I totally agree with this...to win on your own without 'help' the guys need quads...but i do just absolutley love the 'only' triple jumpers with beautiful choreography...and for the sake of MY enjoyment, wouldn't mind if the were quadless but exquisite (at least once a season).

OT: DG, i'm a dog lover too!

gracefulswan

On the Ice
skatingfan5 said:
"The Swan" by Saint-Saens (from his "Carnival of the Animals") was Oksana Baiul's exhibition program in 1994. I'm not sure how many other current skaters have used it, but it was/is a ballet classic performed by Pavlova and interpreted on the ice by the likes of Sonja Henie and Charlotte Oelschlager. If you are not familiar with the music, it is similar in mood to the other piece that Johnny mentions considering for his SP: Massenet's "Meditation from Thais".

I understand that the mother is a real b!tch. ;) Seriously, Johnny's "son" is not a human but a dog.

haha! wierd name to call your own dog. "My son". wonder why i never caught on cause one can't envision johnny having a son right now...or anytime for that matter. well, i guess it's technically feasible, LOL. :laugh:

emma said:
I totally agree with this...to win on your own without 'help' the guys need quads...but i do just absolutley love the 'only' triple jumpers with beautiful choreography...and for the sake of MY enjoyment, wouldn't mind if the were quadless but exquisite (at least once a season).
Nicely put, Emma -

It is always nice to see beautiful skating from a lady or a gentleman, but there was always the dispute between the difficulty of the technical versus the elegant grace of figure skating.

The Technical lovers have won with the CoP. The bigger the tricks the more points and subliminely, it affects the PCS scores. So be it for now, but someday they will get around to Mathman's suggestion of having two sets of judges - one for the tech and one for the performance. It makes sense.

Joe

Shanti

On the Ice
gracefulswan said:
haha! wierd name to call your own dog.

And not less weird to address the coach "Krasavitza" ("Beauty"). :yes:

emma said:
totally agree with this...to win on your own without 'help' the guys need quads...but i do just absolutley love the 'only' triple jumpers with beautiful choreography...and for the sake of MY enjoyment, wouldn't mind if the were quadless but exquisite (at least once a season).

Me too.
Though it seems to me it's the 3A that causes most falls. I don't have enough statictics at hand but it looks like that those few guys who have quads are rather consistent with them (except for the latest Worlds but it's a different story LOL).
But overall, I would definitely prefer a quadless but a clean and beautifully choreographed program.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
gracefulswan said:
haha! wierd name to call your own dog. "My son". wonder why i never caught on cause one can't envision johnny having a son right now...or anytime for that matter. well, i guess it's technically feasible, LOL. :laugh:

I've heard lots of pet people call their pets "kids" or "son" or names like that.

Another point about the quad. Now that the ISU has clarified the point that a quad counts as a different jump from the corresponding triple, if you can do a quad then you can do extra triples later in the program without a Zayak violation.

For instance, if I am reading the rules correctly, you can do a quad toe - triple toe combo [/i]and[/i] a solo triple toe, whereas if you only do a triple toe - triple toe then you can't do another triple toe.

Mathman

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
That has always been the case. Jumps that can't be repeated (that is, can only be performed twice, one of them being in combination) are the jumps of the same type, with the same amount of revolutions. This only applies to triples or quads, there's no limit for doubles.

CDMM1991

Medalist
mmscfdcsu said:
I usually love his short program costumes, but struggle with the ones he chooses for the long program.

Agreed ... and I think he might have to branch out from the unitards at some point. :laugh: :p I actually really liked his 2004 short program costume, though I liked last year's too.