Requiem for Ice Channel | Golden Skate

Requiem for Ice Channel

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to the Ice Channel - the potentially wonderful 24/7 figure skating cable television station. I was aware that funding for this venture fell through and that the corporation folded. I was just hoping that, perhaps, funding might have been obtained during the past six months or so, but, alas, that isn't the case.
This is a very sweet and sad post written by Michael Rosenberg advising us all of the demise of this idea. :boohoo:

http://www.theicechannel.com/

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I think I've seen this earlier.

I was somewhat pessimistic about such a channel working out because ice skating can't even attract viewers on network TV, which is available to everybody. How the heck would an exclusive cable channel have worked out?

Oh well, on another note, I wish them luck in whatever they might pursue next.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I too am sad. I think that skating would be a viable component in a sports network that featured gymnastics, skating, and other "second tier" sports. Lifetime was playing around with skating coverage and rythmic gymnastics as well. I had kinda hoped that hearst/argyle television was leaning towards launching another lifetime spinoff that would be sports-centric. They didnt have any coverage of synchro this year (i doubt they made enough add revenue to cover the travel and expense budget of the 04 production).

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and write letters or emails to media outlets.

S

SkateFan4Life

I have cable television, and all-told, there are 87 channels, everything from soup to nuts. Some of the stations are excellent (IMHO) - History, Arts & Entertainment, CNN, while some of it (not to mention by names) comes across to me as junk of the first order. It's too bad there isn't a market for skating at this time. Sandra Beszic once said, jokingly of course, that all the sport of figure skating needs is a scandal every five years to maintain media/public interest.
Heaven forbid there's another Kerrigan/Harding incident. :no:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Jokingly? I think her and Scott's unprofessional (as journalists, though Sandra and Scott and journalists are oximorons, IMHO) manner during the SLC games fueled the pair "controversy" to being a scandal.

She wasn't joking.

Yana

S

SkateFan4Life

STL_Blues_fan said:
Jokingly? I think her and Scott's unprofessional (as journalists, though Sandra and Scott and journalists are oximorons, IMHO) manner during the SLC games fueled the pair "controversy" to being a scandal.

She wasn't joking.

Yana

Sandra Bezic is my least favorite figure skating commentator of all time. Granted, she's intelligent , articulate, and she knows the sport firsthand, having been a pairs skater with her brother, Val. However, IMHO, Bezic comes close to being an insufferable snob, arrogant, and overly opinionated. I referred to her as
"Her Royal Highness" during the SLC Games, just because she came across, to me at least, as a royal know-it-all. :banging: