Parvo Virus Shuts Down Animal Shelters | Golden Skate

Parvo Virus Shuts Down Animal Shelters

JOHIO2

Medalist
Okay all you animal lovers. Here is some sad news for rescuing strays and abandoned pets. Two local animal shelters in the Cleveland area have been hit by the parvo virus. The Summit County shelter has been closed and the Animal Protective League in Cleveland has had to "euthanize" cats because this infectious disease has reared its ugly head. The disease is nasty and frequently fatal, to both cats and dogs.

So, what can you do? Both of these institutions (and others who get hit with this viral menace on a regular basis) have to put adoptions and animal intake on hold while they wait out the disease. It can spread at an amazing rate. It is extremely contagious. Hardest part for institutions is putting animals to sleep, but the financial hit presents a long term problem. No adoptions means a cut to income at a time that expenses go up.

If you can help with donations, contact the shelters. And keep an ear to your local news because the same virus creates similar problems for those groups near you.

Animal Shelter Closes
http://www.wkyc.com/akron/akron_fullstory.asp?id=38717
http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1122975271230410.xml?ncounty_cuyahoga&coll=2

Last summer, too. APL and Parvo

Last edited:
I'll copy and paste this post onto the JRT forum I belong to, lots of animal lovers there, some who will help out for any reason, and they'll help spread the word.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Thanks for spreading the word, NJ and RG. I think we need to remind animal lovers everywhere that these things happen all the time and often near them. Especially at this time of year, almost every shelter will be filled to overflowing with puppies and kittens. And they are the most vulnerable and least likely to have been immunized.

I am actually afraid to Google up more news of other places.

I've never lost a pet to parvo, but I have surely heard about what happens. So thanks again for spreading the word.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this JO...

I have shared these links with other dog fans, and also on two dog related discussion boards. Hopefully more help will come from these sources if we all keep spreading the word. This has to be devastating for the Shelters.

Parvo is a killer. One of my closest friends in the German Shepherd World has an awesome male (almost 3 years old now) who nearly died from Parvo at 8 weeks old. Romeo nearly died even with the benefit of being in a private home, with 'round the clock care, the best the vets could offer, etc. I can't even imagine what these shelters are going through with much more limited means, and much closer quarters dealing with such a contagious disease among so many animals.

My prayers are with the volunteers and the many animals that are being impacted by this.

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
Thanks, DG. I'm sure whatever help comes their way from your links will be appreciated. I also agree that the whole ordeal must be hard on the employees and volunteers. They come to work at a shelter to help animals and this kind of thing must indeed be heartbreaking. Animals that have been at a shelter long enough must grab at least a little part of your heart. I'm sure they miss animals that have been adopted into new homes, but that is a good kind of missing because they want the animals to have a forever home with their own humans to care for them.

Romeo was a very lucky puppy to have all the care to survive parvo. I'm sure that was hard on everyone. I'm also sure he is much loved and appreciated. His struggle probably opened eyes to just what a nasty virus can do.

JOHIO2

Medalist
APL Reopens After Virus Scare

Forgot to post this as soon as I heard about it, but I figure pet lovers always want to know good news. The local Animal Protective League has reopened for cat adoptions. In fact, they are offering a two-for-one sale. (Too bad they will receive more cats and kittens at an obscene rate. What they really need is a two-for-one sale for spays and neuters!)

Still no news from the other shelter that had parvo.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4838437/detail.html

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update Jo. I'm glad that one of the shelters is getting back to business. Let us know what you hear about the other one.

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
DG,
I was horrified when they announced that they had to euthanize thirty cats. I knew they were overloaded with cats as they almost always are. I was especially concerned with several older cats who had been there a long time. Some of these cats are in one of two communal viewing rooms instead of regular cages. And older cats are often less able to battle such diseases. But the two I was particularly concerned about, Kitty Girl and Princess, seem to have made it through all this. Now, if only someone would give these old gals a home!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It's always so sad to see the numbers of perfectly fine pet animals that are put down for any reason. I'm glad your two favorites still have a chance. I too hope someone gives them a home.

DG

backspin

On the Ice
Slightly OT, but when I found my new doggy at the shelter last winter, I was interested to find that any cat over a certain age (6 months or a year, don't remember) is FREE! The dogs all have a fee, also varying a bit by age, but obviously they have more trouble finding homes for the kitties. I'm not a cat person, but hopefully other people will look there when finding a new pet.

I should also say I was amazed at the volume of really nice dogs there for adoption. I will never go to a breeder for a dog, unless I intend to breed them. My mutt pup is such a great companion & unfortunately has proven himself to be much smarter than me! We start agility classes tonight! :clap:

JOHIO2

Medalist
backspin,

you'll love agility as long as you have a sense of humor. uptight perfectionists need not apply. you'll also like the other people and dogs. a good time can be had by all!

the apl and other public shelters around here are loaded with cats. a doggie mom might have one or two litters each year but a kitty mom can have many more. too many people don't get their animals spayed and neutered. And more cats are left to raom and reproduce while more dogs are tied down. the apl has a decreasing fee based on cat age. a kitten is like $75, a cat older than one year is $55 and a cat older than 6 or 7 is $35. some of the other shelters have a similar fee structure.

wish more people would adopt older dogs and cats. everyone seems to think they want a puppy or kitten. problem is, puppies and kittens grow up to be dogs and cats and then too many people change their minds. pets (read, their pet) are too much trouble, take too much time. and sometimes older people have pets that have nowhere to go when they die or go into nursing homes, etc., etc., etc. that's why i adopted an older cat. i didn't want to do kittenhood again and i just buried an older cat and liked the more laid-back company. lucky for both of us. but i live in a small apt and wanted a cat who wanted to be an only pet. that's why i didn't adopt such sweeties as Kitty Girl and Princess. they were more sociable and probably will be happier in a home with kitty company too.