Injury to Hongbo Zhao | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Injury to Hongbo Zhao

I can only agree with you all....terrible news...sad news!!! I agree with the poster who said it will take a lot of the excitement out of the pairs competition at the Oly's.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
sk8m8 said:
Hardly too old...he will be 32 in september. Artur skating competitively until his mid to late 30's.

Hmmm....I don't know. I think Anton has a point. A cursory glance at one skating birthdays site shows that 1998 Olympic Pairs Champion (on the male side of the equation) was Artur Dmitriev - age 30 at the time.

In 2002 it was Anton and David Pelletier (with the double-gold medals) at roughly ages 25 and 27 respectively. 32 is getting up there....

Many of the last and best men's singles skater champions at the Olympics have been age 21 - which is why I wouldn't count out Brian Joubert who will be that golden age at just the right time.

Now, Michelle at what - 25? - and Irina at 26 (at least by Torino) have their work cut out considering the last couple of winners were only age 16.

The Olympic rings quite often seem to favor youth over experience.

Antilles

Medalist
Such horrible news. Achilles injuries seem to be really nasty. I'm not just worried about the Olympics, but if he'll be able to skate at all after this. Sarah Abitbol couldn't even skate in the pros after her injury.

S

SkateFan4Life

This is heartbreaking news! The Olymnpic pairs competition won't be the same without Shen and Zhao. I just loved watching them skate. This team truly jelled and "skated as one" - with fire, great technical difficulty, and beautiful choreography. The bios on their life show just how hard their lives have been in China - how spartan an existence they've lived for so many years - and they would surely have been co-favorites for the gold medal, had they been healthy and uninjured. They developed over the years into truly one of the best pair teams of all times, in my opinion.

I'll always remember her courageous performance at the 2003 Worlds - skating with a terrible injury yet toughing it out with a great skate and winning the title.
The audience was on its feet cheering its lungs out. Bravo for them!

My heart goes out to this wonderful pair. They will be the Tai and Randy of Torino, as far as I'm concerned.

God bless them.

soogar

Record Breaker
To be realistic, Shen and Zhao were not a lock for gold in the Olympics and I didn't think that they would have even been a significant factor in 2006 without the achilles injury. This team has been battling injuries for the past 2 years (hers and his) and T&M are very strong skaters.

I expect for the Zhangs to step up to the plate and challenge for gold. They skated extremely well at Worlds for the bronze medal and all they need are very good programs.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I don't know why we're so quick to write people off. How many times have we written Irina Slutskaya off by now? Only to come back and take first in perhaps the most competitive discipline?

I think just getting to the Olympics is a victory for ANY skater. I wish I had the opportunity to step on the ice in the Olympics and skate in front of the world, even if I finished dead last.

Julie O

Rinkside
While certainly a setback, Hongbo's injury does not necessarily mean the end of his career or of the pair's Olympic hopes. So let's see how the surgery to repair the injury goes, and his healing progresses. You can be sure that the Chinese federation will do everything it can to bring in the best medical help in the world for him. I would never count out someone who has already made it through a lot of adversity, and who has a major goal in his life. :yes:

Julie, trying not to fall into doom and gloom mode... :yes:

soogar said:
To be realistic, Shen and Zhao were not a lock for gold in the Olympics and I didn't think that they would have even been a significant factor in 2006 without the achilles injury. This team has been battling injuries for the past 2 years (hers and his) and T&M are very strong skaters.
I don't read anyone saying there was a lock on S&Z for gold.The fans were looking forward to the competition with T&M who all seem to agree have improved. This may very well not happen because of Zhao's injuries. Over an out. His numerous injuries in the past years are certainly noted by all but their fans continue to hold hope. This is understandable.

Joe

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm heartborken over this news. :cry: I :love: this pair and really wanted to see them have a chance to win the gold medal in Torino. I hope that Hongbo will recover well from this latest setback, and maybe, maybe, they'll still have a chance to compete at the Olympics.

emma

Record Breaker
None of us know how Zhao will heel, if and when he might resume training, and what that would mean for the Olympics....but as a skating fan it makes me really sad that THIS year, the olympic year, will now be so uncertain for him and his partner given this injury. Of course, as some posters have said, we can't count them out...and I'm not trying to count them out...I'm just sharing that it makes me sad for them (as it would for any olympic hopeful) that they now have all the regular pressure AND some to deal with.

As a Shen and Zhao aboslutely over the top uber fan (which i am and have been since 99) it really saddens me that ...(read above). BUT, I never said they were a lock for the gold...I never said that even adding 'baring injury'....I did say they were top contenders. And, I actually don't know anyone that would seriously disagree with that. Now, it is not...and won't be for some time...clear if they are contenders at all. That makes me sad for them. That really has to hurt. And Zhao is old for a competing pair skater...so there is little room for 'next year' (or not many next years left) even if it weren't olympic year this year.

I'm hopeful that T/M will have great programs and skate wonderfully....but I agree that the competitions...at least in the FAll, won't quite be the same without seeing how T/M and S/Z fair against each other....I, at least, was really looking forward to that.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I feel very sorry for Zhao. Awful news. :frown:

It's now almost a given that Russia will continue its 40-plus-year string of Olympic Pairs Gold Medals. The #2 Russians are almost guaranteed at least a bronze now, too.

I wonder what the media can/will do to spice up this event? They can't demonize T&M after last year's heartwarming story (TT's comeback from the terrible fall at Sk Am). Suddenly, the majority of North Americans are (gulp!) actually cheering for a Russian pair prior to an Olympics! :rock:

hongligl

Final Flight
jesslily said:
I wish Shen and Zhao know about our thread and how many fans in US love and support their skating...at least they'd feel a little better...I realize how down they could be...hope Zhao will recover in 3 months and they could have two months or so to get some solid training...

jesslily, I have passed the wishes to them on their website.

Hikaru

Final Flight
hongligl said:
jesslily, I have passed the wishes to them on their website.

Thanks for letting them know hongligl! I am so, SO :cry: sad after reading this news! Shen and Zhao are the best team out there, and the competitions won't be as interesting without them. But beyond that, I just pray and hope that Hongbo will heal very good, and that they get their chance at Olympics. I saw the picture on their website, Hongbo with his thumbs up, like saying "I'm not giving up". I think all our thoughts are with them now, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

If you could pass the message hongligl, I'll greatly appreciate it!

Eeyora

Final Flight
This is a bummer. They were the only current top pair team to do anything for me. I am hoping for a miracle. This is a team wo has overcome many obstacles.