Question about John Curry's FS in 1976 | Golden Skate

Question about John Curry's FS in 1976

76olympics

On the Ice
Here I am with yet another query about an old program. I was watching this again with a new appreciation. Of course, not a quad or triple axel in sight--but a beautifully choreographed program, IMHO. He moves so fluidly throughout and there isn't an awkward or dead moment in it. The spins have a different look to them --I am afraid my technical vocabulary is failing me here. But-they seem to be "looser" than other spins I have seen. They move smoothly and are well centered--but his body line is not tight. I hope someone can decipher what I am trying to say with that vague description!

My question is this: He touches the ice with one hand on at least two occasions. It seems to be deliberate and the commentators did not remark upon it at all. Is this a Charlotte type move? It wasn't as obvious as the version Michelle did a few years ago. Does anyone remember this?

S

SkateFan4Life

76olympics said:
Here I am with yet another query about an old program. I was watching this again with a new appreciation. Of course, not a quad or triple axel in sight--but a beautifully choreographed program, IMHO. He moves so fluidly throughout and there isn't an awkward or dead moment in it. The spins have a different look to them --I am afraid my technical vocabulary is failing me here. But-they seem to be "looser" than other spins I have seen. They move smoothly and are well centered--but his body line is not tight. I hope someone can decipher what I am trying to say with that vague description!

My question is this: He touches the ice with one hand on at least two occasions. It seems to be deliberate and the commentators did not remark upon it at all. Is this a Charlotte type move? It wasn't as obvious as the version Michelle did a few years ago. Does anyone remember this?

As I remember John Curry's 1976 Olympic long program ( :clap: :clap: ) I recall that he touched the ice while performing several of his patented moves. They were part of the program, and they blended in beautifully with the marvelous choreography. I think he landed three triples - each textbook perfect. His marks were incredibly high - all 5.9s and 6.0s - very, very well deserved.

Curry was in a class by himself. Elegant, smooth, artistic, athletic. What figure skating is all about, IMHO.