Stormy Night, epilogue | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stormy Night, epilogue

D

DrWatson

Re: Ah, the make believe world of operas

(Watson's Ed -- Ed as in editor)

To Eltamina: Well, I finally found the time to go to the library and check out the libretto to the Magic Flute. I am studying it now, even as I write. I just learned that one of Mozart's sources was a story by a certain A. J. Liebeskind called "Lulu, or the Magic Flute." It's a fairy tale starring "Prince Lulu." So all things considered we should be happy with Tamino and Pamina.

Thank you for the link to that nice discussion of my favorite topic, castration. The very first real book that I ever read all by myself, when I was six years old, was The Land of Oz, the first (of 40) sequels to The Wizard of Oz. In this book, the hero is a boy named Tip (oh, the foreshadowing, if only I'd been old enough to appreciate it). After 200 pages of boyish adventures it is revealed that Tip is actually the long lost Princess Ozma, who had been transformed into a boy in infancy by a wicked witch. Well, naturally, at the end of the book he gets, um, transformed back. No more Tip.

As the Scarecrow said, "Don't worry, Tip. You're just the same as you were. Only different." My parents never knew why I walked around holding my crotch for three weeks afterward.

In my continuing quest to git some cultoor, not too long ago I undertook a study of Mozart’s operas. I started with The Marriage of Figarro, of which I loved every note. It is still my favorite opera. I could die happy if Michelle and Kristi would do the Letter Duet, “Che soave zeffiretto.”

Then I tried Cosi Fan Tutti. So far so good. But next I attempted Don Giovanni, which some critics call the best opera ever, period. It was way too dense for me. I couldn’t get into the music at all. So I scurried back to my first love, Haydn, promising to sneak up on Mozart another day.

Ed.

E

eltamina

World of operas

"Thank you for the link to that nice discussion of my favorite topic, castration¡on¨

Ed, the link I provided was to an article on counter tenors, and they are NOT castratos. A counter tenor can sing in high range because of their natural abilities, not because of any surgical procedure. Ed, are you sure Ouch, Yikes castration is your favorite topic? Then you must have watched the movie Farenelli (produced in the early 90s about the most famous castrato in history Farenelli). The movie sound track was a morph product of a male and a female singer, yikes! Again it must be an acquired taste for audience to appreciate the singing recorded in that cd. I do not think the movie is that well produced, but it presented in visual form what we read about as part of music history that was cruel.

For a picture of Farenell¡'s wax statute, please check out:

www.paulcreescollection.com/Collections/Innovations/farenelli.htm

How about the Chinese movie "Farewell my concubine". In the movie the younger brother was not castrated physically, but psychologically, and symbolically, partly because his mother cut off his 6th finger. Farewell My Concubine won the Cannes Film Festival award. It was well produced, but PAINFUL to watch, makes you wonder how any human being could possibly go through so much in his life.

Back to the topic of counter tenors, to me the appreciation of counter tenors singing is an acquired taste. I can listen to cds of counter tenors if I do not look at the counter tenor's picture on the cd liner. I haven't cultivated an appreciation for the counter tenors yet.

"Princess Ozma" (not Ozama?) :lol:

"As the Scarecrow said, Don't worry, Tip. You're just the same as you were. Only different. My parents never knew why I walked around holding my crotch for three weeks afterward."

Thanks for sharing the story, must be frightening for a 6 y/o .

"So I scurried back to my first love, Haydn, promising to sneak up on Mozart another day."

Haydn is your first love, wonderful, care to share more about his music?

P.S. I am listening to Satie's Gymnopedie, just a few simple notes from that piece reminds me of Lyra Angelica, the most ethereal program.