Michael Weiss' 2005 Competitive Schedule | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss' 2005 Competitive Schedule

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to Michael Weiss' 'schedule' from his official website.
It's noteable, I think, that there's an asterisk before the Grand Prix Final, the 2006 Olympic Games, and the 2006 Worlds. The footnote states "Must Qualify".
This is new for Michael, who, quite frankly, always seemed to take it for granted that he would be on the next year's US World and/or Olympic Team. I think he has finally realized that he's no longer a shoo-in to make the team, not with the likes of Weir, Goebel, Lysacek, Savoie, and others who might also burst onto the scene and the fact that he still struggles with his jumps. I certainly don't criticize Michael for wanting to stay in the game, and I hope he does skate well at Nationals. However, at the age of 29, his best competitive days are behind him, in my opinion. Frankly, I think it will take a minor miracle for him to qualify for the Olympic and World teams next year. He must skate two outstanding programs and hope that the other guys falter. At least that's how I see it.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/events.shtml

childfreegirl

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
It's noteable, I think, that there's an asterisk before the Grand Prix Final, the 2006 Olympic Games, and the 2006 Worlds. The footnote states "Must Qualify".
This is new for Michael, who, quite frankly, always seemed to take it for granted that he would be on the next year's US World and/or Olympic Team. I think he has finally realized that he's no longer a shoo-in to make the team, not with the likes of Weir, Goebel, Lysacek, Savoie, and others who might also burst onto the scene and the fact that he still struggles with his jumps. I certainly don't criticize Michael for wanting to stay in the game, and I hope he does skate well at Nationals. However, at the age of 29, his best competitive days are behind him, in my opinion. Frankly, I think it will take a minor miracle for him to qualify for the Olympic and World teams next year. He must skate two outstanding programs and hope that the other guys falter. At least that's how I see it.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/events.shtml

AFAIK, his website has always included that disclaimer. At least ever since I started checking it out.

euterpe

Medalist
Weiss's skating at 2005 Nationals looked as if he couldn't have cared less about being on the World team. Maybe that was because he'd signed with SOI to do some guest spots, but it sure wasn't a good signal to the judges.

At 2006 Nationals, he will have to land every one of his jumps, as he did in the 2004 Nationals FS, to have any chance of making the Olympic team. And frankly, I'd rather see some other skater get that Olympic spot.

S

SkateFan4Life

euterpe said:
Weiss's skating at 2005 Nationals looked as if he couldn't have cared less about being on the World team. Maybe that was because he'd signed with SOI to do some guest spots, but it sure wasn't a good signal to the judges.

At 2006 Nationals, he will have to land every one of his jumps, as he did in the 2004 Nationals FS, to have any chance of making the Olympic team. And frankly, I'd rather see some other skater get that Olympic spot.

As far as I'm concerned, Weiss was just going through the motions at 2005 Nationals. His performances were flat, error-ridden, and totally uninspired, IMHO.
Given his record of turning in sloppy programs - and STILL not landing the quad and STILL splatting on his triple axel - I just can't see him qualifying for the 2006 Olympic and World team. Not unless there's another splatfest (Heaven forbid).

S

SkateFan4Life

Michael Weiss needs to get a new choregrapher. No insult intended towards his wife, but she just doesn't bring out the best in her husband - on the ice - IMHO.