"The Kid With The Dog" | Golden Skate

"The Kid With The Dog"

4dogknight

Final Flight
'I'm known as the kid with the dog'

"A rare form of muscular atrophy forces 10-year-old Shea Megale of Centreville, Va., to use a wheelchair. But her friends and passersby notice her for a different reason: her constant companion, a silky retriever mix named Mercer.

"I'm not known as the kid in a wheelchair," Shea says. "I'm known as the kid with the dog. That changes a lot for me."

Her disease has left her with limited arm strength and compromised motor skills. So three years ago, Shea's mother started looking for an assistance dog for her daughter.

Megan Megale, 44, says she learned about Canine Companions for Independence on the Internet and was attracted to the organization because it was the only one she could find that did not charge up to $25,000 for a dog"

Read the entire article for more information.

4dk - who doubts she could give up her puppy for advanced training. These people are amazing and earn our respect and admiration.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
These types of service dogs really can make an amazing difference in people's lives. I'm with you 4dk - I don't think I could ever "foster" a prospective service puppy as I would have too hard of a time giving it back up if it "made it" into the final phase of the program.

DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
4dog,
I saw that article and was reminded how people and dogs got together in the first place. The love and trust came long after dogs became a useful part of our families. I especially like to hear about dogs who have jobs and can make the lives of the diabled so much easier and so much richer.

Now, speaking of kids.....here's a recent story from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. No dogs involved, but lots of animals!

Meet the champ from zoo day camp