USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

USFSA says MK is CONFIRMED for SA

heyang

Record Breaker
HMMMM... sounds like I have to look into getting tickets. The big project at work will be done the previous weekend, which means I'll be ready for some down time in AC.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I've got my Tums, my Advil, my Kleenex, and a pillow to hug while I wait for news and results. I am SO ready. Let the season begin!!! :rock: :agree: :yes:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
If people would just use their brains, they'd know that with what happened last year, the USFS would go out of their way to make sure the confirmed skaters will definitely be there (unless of legitimate injury).

I think the fact that USFS made sure to write an article just on the confirmations just shows that they are making sure that nobody would drop out last minute just because they thought they still had time to drop.

But if you want to keep being a wet blanket for Kwan fans and convince us what a sneaky, lazy person she is, then go ahead.

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
If people would just use their brains, they'd know that with what happened last year, the USFS would go out of their way to make sure the confirmed skaters will definitely be there (unless of legitimate injury).

I think the fact that USFS made sure to write an article just on the confirmations just shows that they are making sure that nobody would drop out last minute just because they thought they still had time to drop.

But if you want to keep being a wet blanket for Kwan fans and convince us what a sneaky, lazy person she is, then go ahead.

Well, not necessarily. Don't they usually come out with an article around this time of year confirming the participants ANYWAY? And just because one is confirmed doesn't guarantee that one will be there (in the case of ice skating anyway). Not to mention that there are withdrawals in nearly every event. It never fails.

All that aside, yes, IMO it's partly true. The federation WOULD lose credibility (if they haven't already that is) if one skater or a few (especially if it's Kwan or Cohen again) didn't show up (again) this time. But frankly, personally unless I hear it out of Kwan's own mouth (and a quote from an interview won't cut it) that "I WILL be there", I'll believe it when I see it. Even then...

It's not about putting a "wet blanket" or whatever you fans accuse us doubters of. It's simply seeing things from our point of view. If Kwan fans want to celebrate, they certainly can, but if something happens, we'd never hear the end of it (not to mention it would be really dumb on her part).

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion only!

R.D.

Record Breaker
The title of this thread is IMO, very misleading. Note that they don't JUST "confirm" MK, they confirm Cohen and all the other participants. Someone just saw that MK was on the list and made the thread all about Kwan being confirmed. But in reality, it's just a list of all the confirmed participants (and yes, MK is one of them).

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
But frankly, personally unless I hear it out of Kwan's own mouth (and a quote from an interview won't cut it) that "I WILL be there", I'll believe it when I see it. Even then...

You see. It's a line like that that makes we wonder why you really doubt Kwan.

Again, I'm not saying her withdrawing isn't possible, but with what happened last season it seems fairly obvious that the USFS aren't going to take chances this time and are definitely going to make sure that they get confirmation and make sure that those who do confirm are going to be there, barring legitimate injury or sickness.

Red Dog said:
The title of this thread is IMO, very misleading. Note that they don't JUST "confirm" MK, they confirm Cohen and all the other participants. Someone just saw that MK was on the list and made the thread all about Kwan being confirmed. But in reality, it's just a list of all the confirmed participants (and yes, MK is one of them).

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing, but that shouldn't surprise me.

This title just says USFS says MK is confirmed for SA...with the way some people think Kwan is, I'd say the poster who made the thread title is right on in thinking that people would be interested in Kwan confirming.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
You see. It's a line like that that makes we wonder why you really doubt Kwan.

Well, this requires a strict JMO. but anyway, after seeing her being iffy for four years now about events that aren't Nationals or Worlds (or pro-ams for that matter) natural doubt just starts to set in. It's more like I'll believe her when I actually see her on the ice there, rather than I don't want to ever see her again.

You see, I'm taking the wait-and-see approach. That's all there is to it. No mystery here.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing

...hence the IMO at the beginning...:sheesh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well, the fact that you said you would doubt her even if she said it with her own mouth makes me think you think of her in a certain way.

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Well, the fact that you said you would doubt her even if she said it with her own mouth makes me think you think of her in a certain way.

Well, after all she did hint at Campbell's (although I will acknowledge that the reporter pushed her a bit) that she would be there last year, but, alas, didn't show up. So my doubts should be justified (or not...?).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, after all she did hint at Campbell's (although I will acknowledge that the reporter pushed her a bit) that she would be there last year, but, alas, didn't show up. So my doubts should be justified (or not...?).

True. You do have a point there, but if Kwan said out loud and without hesitation that she was going to SA, would you still rather wait and see because you doubted if she was being honest?

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
True. You do have a point there, but if Kwan said out loud and without hesitation that she was going to SA, would you still rather wait and see because you doubted if she was being honest?

Let me put it this way- If, without help or hint from a reporter or interviewer, Kwan says (not hints) in an interview (preferably on TV) that she WILL be at Skate America, then I will take her at her word and expect her there. But otherwise, the above applies.

ETA: Really though- once someone says they will be at an event and then they pull out at the last minute, it really is personal whether or not you will take their word the next time around. But since Kwan never really came out and said that she would be there, I guess I could make an exception if she comes outright and says it.

For example- she said with her own mouth that she will be at the Olympics. And, in that scenario, I expect her to show up there 100% (barring injury or events out of her control, of course). Why? Because she directly committed to the event.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I don't have any special reason. She reminds me of Carolina Kostner, in looks and carriage.

http://www.jenna-mccorkell.com/images/brit20031.jpg

You have to be joking...i've never seen carolina in person but on TV she looks tiny petite, small boned and very girly, Jenna on the other hand is a much more muscular and womanly shape, i think she's quite tall for a skater too and generally looks like a more "athletic" skater.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
All that aside, yes, IMO it's partly true. The federation WOULD lose credibility (if they haven't already that is) if one skater or a few (especially if it's Kwan or Cohen again) didn't show up (again) this time. But frankly, personally unless I hear it out of Kwan's own mouth (and a quote from an interview won't cut it) that "I WILL be there", I'll believe it when I see it. Even then...

Why wouldn't a direct quote from an article confirm it for you?

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
Why are we even concerned because someone else doesn't want to believe she'll be at SA?
Who gives a rusty hoot, as Dick would say! I plan to be very, very happy!!! :clap:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

But as you have proved with your posts no-one else's attendence is in doubt - from the minute names appeared on the list the only skaters people are wondering whether they will attend or not are Kwan and (much less so) Cohen. Cohen went out of the GP last year because of injury and gave no reason to suggest that had she not been injured she wouldn't have competed. Kwan on the other hand had smoe minor back pain but issued a press release saying that yet again she would skip the GP to avoid over training injuries etc etc and NOT i'm withdrawing because of injury - she never blamed the injury she just made up her mind. To my mind its a dead cert that everyone else will turn up barring injury.

I'd love for Kwan to compete in the GP and win everything in sight, but there is absolutely nothing to stop her issuing the same press release this year as she did last year. As a fan can i disagree with that decision and read lots of things into it? Of course I can and i can speculate til the cows come home about all manner of things and about the potential effect on her Olympic chances. As a human being does it really matter? Not one tiny bit - i don't know Michelle Kwan personally and i have no idea what's it like to have the kind of focus a skater of her calibre has to have to be as competitive as she has been for as long as she has been. I don't know what its like to have to train like she does ( i struggle to get to the gym three times a week and the rink once a week so what do i know!) so if she wants to take it easy and skip the GP, on a human level, who am i to criticise?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, this requires a strict JMO. but anyway, after seeing her being iffy for four years now about events that aren't Nationals or Worlds (or pro-ams for that matter) QUOTE]

Just out of interest - what pro-ams have there been since 2002?

And being pedantic - four years ago includes the 2001/2002 season where Kwan comepted in the whole GP series leading up tot he 2002 Olympics :p

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:

And what is your point? Anyone is welcome to title their thread whatever they would like.
Feel free to start a thread about Miriam Manzano now being confirmed for SA ... I'm certain no one will critisize what you title the thread.

Who else may not show up? Susanna? Bebe? Other international Ladies?

The topic is Kwan confirmed but it has drifted into a new topic: Showing Up. It is relative to know if others will show up? It's a heluva long trip for Susanna. Will she hang around for Skate Canada? and will Kwan go to China?

One poster has serious doubts about Kwan showing up for Skate America. That's his perrogative. The debate has no ending. :rolleye:

Joe

antmanb said:
You have to be joking...i've never seen carolina in person but on TV she looks tiny petite, small boned and very girly, Jenna on the other hand is a much more muscular and womanly shape, i think she's quite tall for a skater too and generally looks like a more "athletic" skater.
That's interesting. Don't you think there is a resemblance?

Carolina

Jenna

Carolina is slimmer in the hips, but I wouldn't call her tiny and petite by any stretch of the imagination. She is one of the taller skaters at 167 cm (almost 5'6"). Here she is towering over Irina and Sasha on the world's podium.

http://www.sol.de/storage/thm/home/...-1qgq5346-20050319-img_8411488.onlineBild.jpg

Anyway, Carolina is not scheduled for Skate America and Jenna is, so I am going to root for her. :b

MM :)