Please write to ESPN regarding how they can improve! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Please write to ESPN regarding how they can improve!

mpal2

Final Flight
ragsy said:
I also believe that the poor ratings for Worlds on ESPN last year were partly its own fault. ESPN did not do a good job in advertising Worlds.

The ads they did show did not clearly indicate that it was FS World Championships. What does a falling leaf or a pat of butter in a frying pan have to do with the most important championship competition of the year for FS?

heyang

Record Breaker
I've written to Disson Entertainment in the past about skating coverage. I felt compelled to write when I end up watching Patti Labelle's tonsils more than the skating. I reminded them that the main attraction is the skating - not the vocalists (except perhaps when the singer/band is featured in the title - i.e. Bocelli, Kenny Loggins, etc). The name of the show is Katerina Witt & Friends - screams skating to me, not singers. Anyway, I suggested that they put the visual of the singer in a small box in the corner to satisfy the appearance requirements and let us see skating from head to Toe on the main part of the screen.

After World's, there was an All-Access show on ESPN. Part of it featured the production work involved in filming skating events. The directors attend the practices to be able to anticipate the best camera angles, etc, and time the movements to the second to anticipate when to change the camera angle. ESPN and ABC are the same corporation. I think they have better coverage than NBC and CBS because of their long history if the USFSA.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
mpal2 said:
The ads they did show did not clearly indicate that it was FS World Championships. What does a falling leaf or a pat of butter in a frying pan have to do with the most important championship competition of the year for FS?

I actually thought the commercials were very well done from an artistic viewpoint. I could see how they failed as advertisements, though. People woul take a glance then stop paying attention not knowing what the commercial was about.. Commercials, especially ones for tv programs need to be obnoxious, loud, and repeat the air times.

mpal2

Final Flight
:) I agree that they were artsy and nice when you look at it from that point of view. But like you said, it's a tv commercial not art.

I think the All Access show had some fan value but I would have preferred to see more competitions. It's interesting to watch how the judges have little interest in the close competitions in the lesser groups of six. In fact more often than not, there is a breakthru from some of them that gets little credit.

I wouldn't mind an All Access show where all the fluff is and not on the competitions.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I think the All Access show had some fan value but I would have preferred to see more competitions. It's interesting to watch how the judges have little interest in the close competitions in the lesser groups of six. In fact more often than not, there is a breakthru from some of them that gets little credit.

I wouldn't mind an All Access show where all the fluff is and not on the competitions.

Joe

I agree. Put all the fluff in the All Access show and bring us the real competition- as many performances as possible, with less talk.