Katarina Witt's 1994 Olympic "Robin Hood" SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt's 1994 Olympic "Robin Hood" SP

S

SkateFan4Life

I watched my videotape of the 1994 Olympics - the one I made, not the highlight tape I purchased later - and it contains all of the women's short programs that were broadcast. Katarina Witt looked nervous before she took to the ice, but she skated one of the best short programs of her life. She really attacked her jumps, leaped high in the air for them, landed securely, and she interpreted the moves quite well, I thought. When she finished, she punched her fist in triumph. The cameras panned over to her parents and brother, who were in the stands. Her brother, particularly, clearly showed how much he wanted his sister to do well, and he was jumping up and down when she finished her program.
Mr. and Mrs. Witt were clearly thrilled at their daughter's performance. They were interviewed, and what a nice couple they were!!

Way to go, Katarina! :clap: :clap:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I rather liked Katarina's Robin Hood program and thought her costume was great. She had been previously scorned by the judges for wearing too revealing costumes.

As for her technique, Katarina came from the old school of figure skating - discipline, line and edges. She was also a very fierce competitor and did not let her nerves get to her. She was not necessarily the nicest personna on ice, but her maturity and attention to detail came through when she skated. Katarina was ahead of Michelle Kwan in the fact that she stayed a competitor for a long time. Skaters never hung around in the competitve world as long as they do now. Katarina loved to compete. I think in this program her maturity showed through and she brought a different look and feel to her skating. That's the difference between a seasoned pro and a new kid on the block. Katarina finally came into her own. She paid her dues in the skating world and earned her rewards. She was probably one of the greatest female competitors ever.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
I rather liked Katarina's Robin Hood program and thought her costume was great. She had been previously scorned by the judges for wearing too revealing costumes.

As for her technique, Katarina came from the old school of figure skating - discipline, line and edges. She was also a very fierce competitor and did not let her nerves get to her. She was not necessarily the nicest personna on ice, but her maturity and attention to detail came through when she skated. Katarina was ahead of Michelle Kwan in the fact that she stayed a competitor for a long time. Skaters never hung around in the competitve world as long as they do now. Katarina loved to compete. I think in this program her maturity showed through and she brought a different look and feel to her skating. That's the difference between a seasoned pro and a new kid on the block. Katarina finally came into her own. She paid her dues in the skating world and earned her rewards. She was probably one of the greatest female competitors ever.

Indeed. Katarina Witt was probably one of the most competitive women skaters in figure skating history. The lady loved to win! Her remaining in the competitive ranks after her first Olympic and World titles in 1984 was also, perhaps, influenced by the fact that she lived and competed for East Germany, a country that did not exactly promote glamour and showbiz. Any way about it, Kat skated a wonderful "Robin Hood" at the 1994 Olympics, in my opinion.

S

SkateFan4Life

mpal2 said:
Wasn't Lillehammer the only time her parents got to see her compete internationally? I'm sure that had a lot to do with her desire to come back for one more Olympic experience.

I think the 1988 Worlds, which were held in Budapest, Hungary - then a communist country - were the first time that Katarina's parents were permitted to travel outside of East Germany to see their daughter compete. They were allowed, of course, because there wasn't the threat - whether or not that even existed - that they might try to defect to the West.