NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

NBC Olympics Coverage Details? Announcers, HD coverage, etc?

mzheng

Record Breaker
heyang said:
The next generation of commentators are Paul Wylie, Peter Carruthers, etc - IMO. Out of all the skaters from the 80's and early 90's who I've seen commentate, I think Paul's the best. He's articulate, well-prepared and pleasant. I thought he was really good in the All-Access show.

I saw Nancy's commentating during Liberty, too and she seemed 'not comfortable'. It didn't seem like she was having a good time and that made her hard to watch.

I don't like Paul's commenting, though he is my favorate skater to watch in his pro competetion. He was talking to much during the skating or her sound? I'm not sure. As for Nancy, from couple of time I watched her do JWC, I like her. Objective, knowlegable, gave credit to where is due.

I agree the rest paragraphs.

jesslily

Final Flight
I don't think that Nancy was objective commenting junior world. She kept saying good thing about American skaters even a couple of them obviously did not master the tricks, and magnified a couple of Asian skaters' artistry even they had very great jumping flow.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree about Paul, mzheng. I loved him as a skater, but his world's commentating got on my nerves.
I've actually grown to like Peter Carruthers more than I did originally. I doubt he would be considered for the Olympics though.

ETA ... I LOVE Tracy Wilson! She would be wonderful IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have one concern with Paul Wylie: He was not actually at the GP competitions for which he did commentary. The competitions were taped and the commentary was dubbed in after the fact. He was able to make those trenchant observations because he had plenty of time to review the performances before he actually started commenting. We don't really know how good he would be commenting live or near-live (because Italy is 6-9 hours ahead, depending on where you live in the US, many parts of the skating would likely be shown on tape in prime time rather than live in the early morning).

chuckm said:
I have one concern with Paul Wylie: He was not actually at the GP competitions for which he did commentary. The competitions were taped and the commentary was dubbed in after the fact. He was able to make those trenchant observations because he had plenty of time to review the performances before he actually started commenting. We don't really know how good he would be commenting live or near-live (because Italy is 6-9 hours ahead, depending on where you live in the US, many parts of the skating would likely be shown on tape in prime time rather than live in the early morning).
Wow!!! Kind of like Milly Vanila.

Yeah, I don't think we will be getting the Last Six to Skate as a LIVE telecast. So whoever does the commentary can be sure what they are talking about. Unfortunately, they will agree with the judges scores which makes it less than objective. Hopefull we get reports from posters who see the skating in person or live on tv.

Aside: Just would like to see ALL the skaters' lutzes in slomo.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I doubt that the top figure skaters will be live. The time difference really prohibits it from happening since the networks will want to show the skating during primetime, which would be anywhere between 2AM and 6AM in Italy to show live on east coast of North America.

The only time I can recall live broadcasts has been when they are in North America for those of us who live on this continent.

I couldn't stand it. During Nagano, I had 2 people tell me who won before the broadcast.