Sasha's LP music | Golden Skate

Sasha's LP music

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hmmm...

nymkfan51 said:
Her bio on the usfsa site has been updated with her music choices for this season.
Dark Eyes for her SP
&
Romeo & Juliet for the LP (don't know if it's same music she used for her exhibition or not)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2265

I must say I was wishing for a more original choice, but am SO not surprised by a war horse. I did like her EX to R&J. Hope she has some over the top choreo - otherwise this could be a yawner. I hate to say that because I'd love to see Sasha do well. I just think it's past the time for her to stretch herself, even a little bit, on the music front. I hope this doesn't end up like the same LP as previous years, just with different tunes in the background.

OK - I know I'm being negative and skeptical, and I really WANT Sasha to have a great season. So now that the music mystery is solved, I'm going to shift my hopes to one or more 3/3's. Hate to say it, but that's probably as long of a shot as the hope for a more innovative music choice was.

DG

nymkfan51 said:
Her bio on the usfsa site has been updated with her music choices for this season.
Dark Eyes for her SP
&
Romeo & Juliet for the LP (don't know if it's same music she used for her exhibition or not)

She is being cautious. I don't think that is a good sign. Anyone know who is coaching the choreography or is there a new choreographer?

If she uses the Prokofiev R&J it would be stretch for her and to her credit. JMO.

Joe

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
If she uses the Prokofiev R&J it would be stretch for her and to her credit. JMO.

Joe

I remember really liking her R&J exhibition. What version of R&J was that?

And from what I've read elsewhere N. Morozov did the choreography, which will no doubt be tweaked by Nicks (amd maybe Sasha herself) along the way.

CDMM1991

Medalist
nymkfan51 said:
Dark Eyes for her SP
&

I have to say I'm not exactly impressed either. I do find that Sasha's skating is impressive but using two pieces of music that she has used before? I would have thought she would take a step up and try something new for the Olympic season.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Sasha's exhibition was the Nino Rota movie version.

I have to say, I think she does much better with feisty music, or something with some attitude (like her Malaguena SP)
Her R&J exhibition was lovely, full of lots of WOW moves, but I don't know how it will translate when she has to add 7 jumping passes.
And Morosov is choreographing both her programs.

Crizzy

Rinkside
I am not too thrilled with the music selection although I love her R&J one of the best Sasha programs ever, but after hearing the same music 3 years in a row....Common....there must be something else. Michelle did use EOE several times but never never 3 years in a row! I hope it's the classical and not the soundtrack.

Sasha is playing it too safe but even if the music is familiar, it will be differently choreographed by a different choreographer. Can Morosov top TT's version? I doubt it plus there's more elements that must be crammed into the music. Sigh...Sigh...Sigh....

soogar

Record Breaker
From what I've read in the Sasha Cohen interview in Spotlight on Skating, Sasha is more interested in skating to comfortable pieces of music that she likes. She commented that even though Carmen has been used a lot, Carmen fires her up and she loves to skate to it.

Even though Sasha had skated to R&J, it was just an exhibition piece. The program will look quite different as a competition program.

I remember in a Tara interview that Tara chose the Rainbow because she could see herself having a great skate to it. I bet Sasha chooses music that she feels can lift her up when she competes.

Having seen both Dark Eyes programs, even though they are the same pieces of music, they were completely different.

Well, phooey, Sasha. I'm sure she will skate very pretty, but I wish she would have chosen something of substance.

Lucy25

Final Flight
When Sasha skated an exhibition a few weeks back, it was reportedly the same music as her original exhibition, with different cuts. Maybe she will use a mixture of both versions? I am sure it will be a "lovely" program, but I am very disappointed that she has choose this. Has she ever taken a chance with her music?

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:
Sasha's exhibition was the Nino Rota movie version.

I have to say, I think she does much better with feisty music, or something with some attitude (like her Malaguena SP)
Her R&J exhibition was lovely, full of lots of WOW moves, but I don't know how it will translate when she has to add 7 jumping passes.
And Morosov is choreographing both her programs.
It says in her bio that her long program was choregraphed by Zoueva and Shpilband.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's a little disappointed that Sasha did not choose a piece of music that nobody has skated to. But if you observe carefully, for the past 10 years, most elite skaters, men or ladies, just skated to that few pieces of music. Michelle Kwan mostly skated to the music that other skaters used one or few years before except 1998, she had two programs using the music that no skaters had used. Did people really like her long program's music? I doubt.
Ballet companes don't have new master piece to perform every year. Acturally they just dance that few master pieces for hundred years.

nymkfan51

Medalist
cutiepatutie said:
It says in her bio that her long program was choregraphed by Zoueva and Shpilband.

That is still there from last year's programs. If you move to the bottom, it updates her music choices for this year. It doesn't list her choreographer for this season, but she already posted in her journal that Morosov was doing her programs.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
jesslily said:
It's a little disappointed that Sasha did not choose a piece of music that nobody has skated to. But if you observe carefully, for the past 10 years, most elite skaters, men or ladies, just skated to that few pieces of music. Michelle Kwan mostly skated to the music that other skaters used one or few years before except 1998, she had two programs using the music that no skaters had used. Did people really like her long program's music? I doubt.
Ballet companes don't have new master piece to perform every year. Acturally they just dance that few master pieces for hundred years.

Huh? Michelle's programs from 1996-2001 were to mostly unused music (except for Carmen). Most people always point to her programs from during that time, as their favorites. Miraculous Mandarin (sp?) is always praised by many, even though she only used it once.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I must say I was wishing for a more original choice, but am SO not surprised by a war horse. I did like her EX to R&J. Hope she has some over the top choreo - otherwise this could be a yawner. I hate to say that because I'd love to see Sasha do well. I just think it's past the time for her to stretch herself, even a little bit, on the music front. I hope this doesn't end up like the same LP as previous years, just with different tunes in the background.

DG

ITA with most of your points. Actually there was a rumor (I think) that this was her LP. This news would confirm that.

That said- Yes, I agree it looks to be another of those "blah" segments. Then again, I have not seen it yet so I will reserve full judgement until then.

I do not see her winning anything this year. At all. Of the Americans Kwan looks like she might have the edge (Yes, I know it's surprising, but that's what my gut is telling me). Forget about Nationals- she's already won!

jesslily said:
Did people really like her long program's music?
Oh, yes indeed! It was the masterpiece of rarely heard twentieth century composer William Alwyn, his beloved harp concerto. The music that Lori Nichol said she wants to greet her when she arrives at the pearly gates.
jesslily said:
Michelle Kwan mostly skated to the music that other skaters used one or few years before except 1998.
Oh, I don't think so at all. Who used Romanza for Guitar and Orchestra by Bacarisse, Orchestral Selections of Azerbaijan composer Fikrat Amirov (Taj Mahal), Rondo Capriccioso, Dream of Desdemona (Massenet), Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt), Red Violin (violinist Joshua Bell), Ariane (Massenet), A day in the Life (Jeff Beck), Song of the Black Swan, or the Miraculus Mandarin?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To the ones disappointed with her music choice- one quick one. how do you know that the version she used for her EX is the same exact version that she will use for her new LP?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Oh, yes indeed! It was the masterpiece of rarely heard twentieth century composer William Alwyn, his beloved harp concerto. The music that Lori Nichol said she wants to greet her when she arrives at the pearly gates.:rofl: Who used Romanza for Guitar and Orchestra by Bacarisse, Orchestral Selections of Azerbaijan composer Fikrat Amirov (Taj Mahal), Rondo Capriccioso, Dream of Desdemona (Massenet), Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt), Red Violin (violinist Joshua Bell), Ariane (Massenet), A day in the Life (Jeff Beck), Song of the Black Swan, or the Miraculus Mandarin?

I wonder how much of that was actually Kwan's choice. I've been hearing a whole lot of things saying that those songs were her choreographer's choice (I could be wrong though). Now, post 2002 she's done nothing really original. Moves, music, everything included.