Has Plushenko peaked yet? | Golden Skate

Has Plushenko peaked yet?

~Rainbow~

Match Penalty
I think the guy has hit his peak and his recent programmes aren't up to par with his older work (2001 & 2002) I know he has a knee injury but his programmes aren't nearly as entertaining and that old fire is missing.

Maybe this Olympic season would re-ignite the flame? I didn't reallt get much into figure skating until 2001-2002 season, so I missed alot. Of course Evgeni is getting older and the skating tears on his body. But you wonder...

Well, he'll never get down all the way in a sits spin. He will always stop and pose after a big move for audience reaction. But he has his own certain charm that will carry him to victory. I actually think he is peaking, and peaking can last several years. Male ballet dancers peak at 28 and hold on to it for at least another 5 years. Females do better.

Joe

Has Plushenko peaked? IMO it all depends on his knees (hips, back, groin, etc.) Practicing 50 quads a day for 7 or 8 years has to take its toll. He used to whip off those quad combos like there was no tomorrow. But there was.

In exchange for his youthful "I'm the king of the World, ma!" elan, he has matured into a "Hey, I really am the king of the world" man. I have seen him live a number of times, especially at the annual Detroit cheesefests (that's me in the audience over Evgeni's shoulder in the picture I posted above, row N, seat 13), where the atmosphere is a little more intimate than in the major competitions and shows. He just owns the ice. Believe me, if his health doesn't let him down the other guys will be skating for second place.

JMO.

Mathman :)

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Plush peaked in Dortmund 2004. Never have I seen him look more masterful and SEXY. It was like he was jumping out of the TV set.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Agree with MM. Depends on his health.

His name was mentioned in a conversation about severee dieting in an Olympic season (or was it Yagudin, the person actually mean? But I definnitely heard it Plushy). That he has difficult to restor quads after the sugery. According to some expert/coach this type diet (losing a lot of weight in short time period) usually cause long term injury because the water lose in the layer(don't know medic name) between the bones will cause bones in joint fricts directly, which leads to injury....As far as the related name (Plush or Yagudin) he was not able to pull off quads so far. (the conversation was conducted a few weeks ago).

euterpe

Medalist
The problem with taking off weight quickly, especially by basic starvation, is that the athlete may lose muscle instead of fat. Yagudin found that out one season when he really trimmed down during the summer. He started having big problems, sometimes with jumps but mostly with stamina---he'd get 2/3 of the way through his program then struggle with simple spins and footwork at the end.

He blamed it on 'overtraining', but I think the real problem was rapid weight loss.

I don't think Plushenko has peaked. He just ran into health problems last season, but his skating in the Grand Prix was still pretty darned impressive. He is so fast, and his jumps are so huge, and he's become a real showman, too. He captivates the audience with his intensity and characterization.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think he's already peaked, but only for the first time, as a primarily technical skater. He's changing his style a bit from when he was 16-18, collaborating with Marton on unified programs, and coming up with terrific, varied exhibition programs. I think he's got one or two more peaks coming, certainly one as a professional skater without eligible limitations, a la Browning. He may yet have another peak this season as an eligible skater.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
He peaked in 2001. That season was all about him. After his bad performances at the 2002 Olympics it's been all downhill. I frankly never thought he was anything extraordinary. But he did own the ice at 2001 Worlds.

dfj

On the Ice
Pixie Cut said:
He peaked in 2001. That season was all about him. After his bad performances at the 2002 Olympics it's been all downhill. I frankly never thought he was anything extraordinary. But he did own the ice at 2001 Worlds.

Bad performances? All downhill for the last 3-4 years? Good grief!

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Let's see what happens this season, but he might have peaked already, in 2001. He was outstanding all season long, entering many events and losing only one and finishing with an unquestionable win at Worlds. And at that time it was when he had the fiercest competition. Ever since, although there is an aura of invencibility around him, I think it's more because of lack of competitors at his level than because of his skating.

I think he has improved spins and footwork and even programs, but his jumps are IMO weaker. It's not that he misses them much and surely thy're better than what the majority of the others does, but the quality is not the same. He's had many problems with injuries too and as he gets older and after many years competing, I doubt he will have any break in the upcoming season in terms of injuries.

I get the feeling that most posters think one competition is where you peak and then it's downhill.

I think one goes through a Peak Period, and not just one competition. How long that period will last depends on the skater. Could be through 3 Olys but that's tough. I think Plush could do another Olys after Torino. He's truly an exceptional competitive skater. But that's up to him.

Joe

gracefulswan

On the Ice
well... i don't think so... however, his body probably won't hold up for long. seems that it just is in the first thros of a systematic breakdown... probably from not being willing to pace himself well throughout the season. plus, there's the distractions of his being a new husband and possible father now... just enough of a distraction to take that 'eye of the tiger' away...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I will make an early prediction for the Men's comp. IMO, if Plush shows up with one quad, and clean programs per the usual Plush, he walks away with Gold.

While his doctors might not recommend it, I will go out on a limb and speculate that if he has to, he will perform through a whole bunch of pain to do it. While Plush's style isn't my favorite, I think he has the mental and physical goods to take the gold if his knees, etc. will hold out JUST enough for him to get his job done.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Meantime - JOHNNY FOR PODIUM!!

DG

S

SkateFan4Life

In my view, Plushenko peaked in 2001, and he was head and shoulders above the field that season. After Salt Lake, however, when he was expected to win Olympic gold and had to settle for silver, I think he's been having a rash of problems - diet, injury, training, etc. He used to own the ice, and I don't think that's the case any longer. When he enters a competition, it's not a given that he will emerge victorious. Next season will be interesting, to say the least.

Vash01

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
In my view, Plushenko peaked in 2001, and he was head and shoulders above the field that season. After Salt Lake, however, when he was expected to win Olympic gold and had to settle for silver, I think he's been having a rash of problems - diet, injury, training, etc. He used to own the ice, and I don't think that's the case any longer. When he enters a competition, it's not a given that he will emerge victorious. Next season will be interesting, to say the least.

Until the most recent worlds Plushenko owned the ice, injury or not. An injured Plushenko was blowing away the field in 2004 and even 2005 until he entered worlds. Right now it looks like the rest of the field has caught up with him, but only because he did not win the last worlds. Since he is not going to enter the GP, we may not know until the Olympics, but my gut feeling is that unless he is severely injured, he will be the skater to beat for the gold.

Vash