Evgeny Platov | Golden Skate

Evgeny Platov

~Rainbow~

Match Penalty
I am just going to say he is one of the nicest and best looking men ever. I actually was sitting behind him at Skate America last year. He was like 1 row in front of me and I was like "OMG!", and like after the people were done skating that night he signed my skating book and I got my picture taken with him. It also helps that I have a huge crush on him! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
~Rainbow~ said:
I am just going to say he is one of the nicest and best looking men ever. I actually was sitting behind him at Skate America last year. He was like 1 row in front of me and I was like "OMG!", and like after the people were done skating that night he signed my skating book and I got my picture taken with him. It also helps that I have a huge crush on him! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Now you got me. Who is this guy? (Sorry, don't follow Men, Pairs or Dance).

ETA: congrats on meeting him, BTW. You must have been very happy. :)

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
Well thats cool, Rainbow that you got meet him. Yeah, Evgeny Platov was partners with Oksana Pasha Grishuk and Maia Usova. Purdy good ice dancer that guy.

Vash01

Medalist
Grishchuk & Platov were 2 time Olympic ice dance champions (94 & 98). They were also 4 time world champions (94-97; they did not skate in the 98 worlds after winning their second Olympic gold). I saw them skate live many times with COI, but not in a competition.

Yes, Platov is very good looking. He is on Tarasova's coaching team. He is seen behind Shizuka Arakawa in the K&C when she won her world title in 2004. He helped choreograph Johnny Weir's LP (Otonal) for the 2005 season.

Unfortunately Grishchuk & Platov split shortly after their second OGM. He partnered with Maya Usova (who split from ex-husband Zhulin) and skated as a pro ice dancer. They had a fair amount of success, but nowhere compared to his success with Oksana/Pasha Grishchuk. Their split seemed like a real waste. Recently I heard that they were considering pairing up again but Evgeny needs a shoulder surgery before he can skate. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will see G&P as an ice dance team again, as pros of course.

Vash

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Grishchuk & Platov were 2 time Olympic ice dance champions (94 & 98). They were also 4 time world champions (94-97; they did not skate in the 98 worlds after winning their second Olympic gold). I saw them skate live many times with COI, but not in a competition.

Yes, Platov is very good looking. He is on Tarasova's coaching team. He is seen behind Shizuka Arakawa in the K&C when she won her world title in 2004. He helped choreograph Johnny Weir's LP (Otonal) for the 2005 season.

Unfortunately Grishchuk & Platov split shortly after their second OGM. He partnered with Maya Usova (who split from ex-husband Zhulin) and skated as a pro ice dancer. They had a fair amount of success, but nowhere compared to his success with Oksana/Pasha Grishchuk. Their split seemed like a real waste. Recently I heard that they were considering pairing up again but Evgeny needs a shoulder surgery before he can skate. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will see G&P as an ice dance team again, as pros of course.

Vash

I heard Platov was going to team up with Zhulin...

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't watch much of Ice Dance. But I do love his pro works with Usova.....They really skated with passion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01- THANK YOU for your explanation. You got straight to the point, and as a newcomer I really appreciate that. :clap:

Kasey

Medalist
Vash01 said:

Vash

Actually, he is no longer on Tarasova's coaching team, but is in New Jersey, working with Zhulin.

And I would think that the lack of success of Platov/Usova as pros would be more to do with the lack of available competitions and work for pro ice dancers, rather than the split with Grishchuk.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Kasey said:
And I would think that the lack of success of Platov/Usova as pros would be more to do with the lack of available competitions and work for pro ice dancers, rather than the split with Grishchuk.

What lack of success would that be? They won a couple of major competitions and toured for several seasons with Champions on Ice. In this day and age NO pro career can be compared with an amateur career. All things considered, Usova & Platov had an incredible run. :clap:

Vash01

Medalist
Kasey said:
Actually, he is no longer on Tarasova's coaching team, but is in New Jersey, working with Zhulin.

Yes, that is the most recent news (collaborating with Zhulin). I had forgotten about it.

I did not mean that the lack of success (relatively speaking) of Usova/Platov had anything to do with Platov's split from Grishchuk. As pros they really did not have a lot of opportunities to establish themselves as a top ice dance team because there were no serious pro competitions. They made the best of whatever opportunities came their way- mostly touring and a few minor pro competitions.

I personally preferred both of them with their previous partners, but that is just my preference.

Vash

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Platov was at the Cranberry Open this past week where apparently he was coaching a ladies singles skater - interesting!

~Rainbow~ said:
RAINBOW!
Good for you! I had a huge crush on Evgeny too when he was skating with Pasha Grishuk. When they did their "Paso Doble" at the '98 Olympics (I think), Evgeny hits that long curved matador pose while whipping Pasha around as the "cape." I used to play that section over and over and hit pause when Evgeny hit the Maximum Matador position. Man, he was hot!

Then I met him two years ago in very bright lights. Uh....

Oh, well. I'm sure the lights made me look absolutely awful, lol. Seriously, he was still a hottie.:rock:

Rgirl

tracylynn

Rinkside
I never had a crush on him but I do think he's a cutie pie. Then again, aren't most Russian skaters cutie pies? I swear there most be something in the water for the men to be cutie pies.

Grgranny said:
RG, sure glad to see you back. :love:
Awwwwww, thanks Grgranny! But I'm only back for the evening, trying to get through my first night in five years without "Six Feet Under." A few posts here and watching Valerie Cherish punch Paulie G. into fits of dueling barfing on "The Comeback" with close-up on Valerie's vomit at the end :rofl: have me chipper and back on vacation again.

See you after Campbell's or Skate America! Hope you're well.

HUGS,
Rgirl

sk8m8

Final Flight
tracylynn said:
I never had a crush on him but I do think he's a cutie pie. Then again, aren't most Russian skaters cutie pies? I swear there most be something in the water for the men to be cutie pies.

Sad but true...only the beautiful people get to skate, esthetically-pleasing challanged need not apply... :cry: