Thoughts on the 1991 World Championships | Golden Skate

Thoughts on the 1991 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

One of my all-time favorite World Figure Skating Championships was the 1991 Worlds, held in Munich. As a flag-waving American, I was thrilled to see the US women sweep the medals. GO, USA! :clap:

The Women:
My fondest memory is the American women's clean sweep of the medals, the first time that all of the World medals were won in the women's event from skaters from the same country. Kristi Yamaguchi rebounded from her second-place finish at Nationals (behind Tonya Harding) and skated two beautiful and powerful programs, and she convincingly won her first World title. The footage of her and coach Christy Ness viewing the gold-medal scores is priceless - tears, screaming, jumping up and down, etc. I think Ness was almost as excited and thrilled as Yamaguchi.

Tonya Harding skated very strong programs as well. Her short was jazzy and featured some terrific spins and high jumps. She landed her triple axel in the long program; however, she then skated to the opposite end of the rink and skated a single/double toe instead of a triple toe/triple toe combination. Tonya regrouped and landed a strong triple flip, loop, and performed some great spins. Towards the end of her program, she doubled another planned triple, which left her with less completed triples than Kristi. While Tonya received good marks in the 5.7 and 5.8 range, they weren't good enough to challenge Kristi, who received mostly 5.8s and 5.9.s. Tonya's musical choices really showcased her talent -- "Batman", "Send in the Clowns", and "Wild Thing".

Nancy Kerrigan was in fifth place after the short program. She skated a strong long program to "Born on the Fourth of July" and won the bronze medal. Nancy fell once, but otherwise, it was a nice program, and it had some very lovely, lyrical moments.

The medal ceremony was memorable, with three American flags raised. The Desert Storm War had just concluded, and many of the newspapers of the day carried headlines proclaiming "It's a new world order in women's figure skating - America leads the way".

Midori Ito came into the Worlds as the favorite, since this was the first time the competition was to be held without school figures, always the weakest part of her skating. During the warmup for her short program, Midori and Letitia Hubert of France collided, with both falling hard on the ice. Everybody in the rink gasped. While both skaters got up quickly, it was clear that Midori had taken the brunt of the collision, in her ribs, and with a blade that cut through her boot. She was taken to the trainer and returned to skate her short program.

Then, while skating her short program, Midori apparently misjudged the distance from her triple lutz/double toe combination takeoff, as she jumped right out of the rink and landed on top of the television camera. She sprang up immediately and completed her program. The judges gave her very generous marks that left her in third place after the short program. When Midori took to center ice to bow to the audience, she smilled a little sheepishly, and knocked her fist several times against her temple.

Unfortunately, Miidori's injuries kicked in, bigtime, the next day and she skated the long program in pain. It was hard to watch her performance - a single flip, a fall on a triple axel, and a double lutz with a two-footed landing. She managed to land a 3/3 toe combination towards the end of the program, but her marks kept her off the podium, in fourth place.

Jill Trenary had missed the 1991 Nationals, as she had undergone surgery for an injured ankle. She was interviewed from her home in Colorado Springs. While she was gracious as always, it was obvious that she wanted to be at Worlds, competing with the rest of the field. On the other hand, her absence did not make the slightest dent in the success of the US women. They completely dominated the competition. :clap: :clap:

The Men:
Kurt Browning won his third consecutive World title with a strong program, with Viktor Petrenko taking second place again. Clearly, Viktor had thought his program was deserving of first place, as he looked very upset during the medal ceremony. While always a gentleman, Viktor's displeasure was evident. Todd Eldredge of the US won the bronze medal that year - his first of many World medals. He was then a19-year-old challenger who appeared to be well on the way to winning major titles. Todd said he was absolutely thrilled to have won the bronze.

Paul Wylie of the US finished 11th at this championship. It was yet another unfortunate case of the nerves getting the better of this wonderful skater. Many people thought he should have retired after that disappointing finish, but he remained in the game and won the silver medal at the 1992 Winter Olympics. Bravo, Paul! :clap: :clap:

Ice Dance:
Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay of France won the World ice dance title, to loud acclaim. Their "Missing" program was skated with precision and confidence. After they knew they had won the championship, Isabelle ran into the arms of her then-fiance and choregrapher, Christopher Dean.

Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomorenko lost their title and had to settle for the silver medal. Their long program, skated to selections from "Lawrence of Arabia" was lovely. Frankly, I thought it was a lot better skated than the Duchesnay's program, and it featured terrific choregraphy, clean edges, and better overall skating.

Mai Usova and Alexander Zhulin won the bronze medal.

Pairs:
Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev of Russia won their first World pairs title, with Canadians Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler winning another silver medal. Natasha Kuchiki and Todd Sand of the US won the bronze medal. This pair was quite unusual, in that Natasha was 14 years old and Todd was 27. Todd acted and looked like a protective older brother towards his partner.

Another fantastic Worlds!! :clap: :clap:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This was a great womens' championship. Kristi skated the best program of her amateur career, IMO. I still can't believe the Australian judge in the LP gave her a 5.6/5.6! What was he/she looking at? I also enjoyed seeing Tonya take home the Silver. No matter what happened later, she had a terrific 90-91 season. Her LP wasn't perfect, but I liked her powerful style and her honest interpretation. She was herself out on the ice, with "Say Hi to Jesus" bangs and odd musical choices to boot! I wish she could have kept this form for the rest of her career. She could have been phenomenal! This was a heartbreaking competition for Midori. Figures were gone and one would have thought she had a clear road, but alas, it just didn't work out for her.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I could never get past Tonya's music. "Send in the Clowns" and "Wild Thing" together? What was she thinking? Nevermind, I think ignorance might really be bliss in this case!

S

SkateFan4Life

SusanBeth said:
I could never get past Tonya's music. "Send in the Clowns" and "Wild Thing" together? What was she thinking? Nevermind, I think ignorance might really be bliss in this case!

Well, perhaps Tonya was trying to show everyone that she could interpret a large variety of musical styles in her long program. The "Wild Thing" music really suited her - even prior to the infamous 1994 season.

S

SkateFan4Life

BronzeisGolden said:
This was a great womens' championship. Kristi skated the best program of her amateur career, IMO. I still can't believe the Australian judge in the LP gave her a 5.6/5.6! What was he/she looking at? I also enjoyed seeing Tonya take home the Silver. No matter what happened later, she had a terrific 90-91 season. Her LP wasn't perfect, but I liked her powerful style and her honest interpretation. She was herself out on the ice, with "Say Hi to Jesus" bangs and odd musical choices to boot! I wish she could have kept this form for the rest of her career. She could have been phenomenal! This was a heartbreaking competition for Midori. Figures were gone and one would have thought she had a clear road, but alas, it just didn't work out for her.

I felt so sorry for Midori Ito, too!! What a sad moment for her. She definitely was the favorite going into the 1991 Worlds, as school figures, her weakness, were no longer part of the competition. She won both the short and long programs, so she would have run away with the title had it not been for those figures!!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Well, perhaps Tonya was trying to show everyone that she could interpret a large variety of musical styles in her long program. The "Wild Thing" music really suited her - even prior to the infamous 1994 season.

I do understand your point. I just think those jarring changes disrupt the program without really adding much. It's subjective, but I don't like music changes that break a program into sections so abruptly. There was no flow to hold the program together as far as the music goes.

S

SkateFan4Life

SusanBeth said:
I do understand your point. I just think those jarring changes disrupt the program without really adding much. It's subjective, but I don't like music changes that break a program into sections so abruptly. There was no flow to hold the program together as far as the music goes.

Absolutely, music is a subjective thing. In my opinion, Tonya's choices were terrific, as they showcased her personality and skating ability. She was the "wild girl" of US skating (even before the Kerrigan fiasco), and "Wild Thing" was an appropriate choice for her. I understand your point about music pieces having transitions or having abrupt changes from one type of music to another. That's the choice of the skater, and we all interpret it differently. While I liked Tonya's music, there have been programs by other skaters in which the music changed abruptly from one style to the next - and some of those weren't my favorite programs, either.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Absolutely, music is a subjective thing. In my opinion, Tonya's choices were terrific, as they showcased her personality and skating ability. She was the "wild girl" of US skating (even before the Kerrigan fiasco), and "Wild Thing" was an appropriate choice for her. I understand your point about music pieces having transitions or having abrupt changes from one type of music to another. That's the choice of the skater, and we all interpret it differently. While I liked Tonya's music, there have been programs by other skaters in which the music changed abruptly from one style to the next - and some of those weren't my favorite programs, either.

Totally off topic, but one of the programs that I couldn't stand because of the terribly abrupt changes was Laetitia Hubert's 1997 Jazz free skate. It began with Tuxedo junction, then sing sing sing, and then in the mood. There was a soft piece between Sing Sing Sing and In The mood, but it escapes my mind right now. IT sounds like one of those cheerleader routines that have the horrid music cuts that bounce from one piece to the next.

soogar

Record Breaker
In terms of Tonya's changes of music, back then , ALL the skaters had diverse pieces of music strewn together because back then, the judges wanted to see the skater have a lot of different rhythms and styles in one program. Gradually, it became vogue for skaters to compete with selections from one musical work (ie Kristi's Malaguena).

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
From a pure patriotism point of view, the 91 worlds were fantastic in that not only the ladies swept the podium, but the US also got medals in pairs and men's; it's been years since we'd had such a great showing and it'll be years before we do again.

This was also the Worlds that gave us our first views of Chen Lu and Yuka Sato.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
soogar said:
In terms of Tonya's changes of music, back then , ALL the skaters had diverse pieces of music strewn together because back then, the judges wanted to see the skater have a lot of different rhythms and styles in one program. Gradually, it became vogue for skaters to compete with selections from one musical work (ie Kristi's Malaguena).

If you download Kristi and Nancy's programs, you'll find they had infinitely better flow through the music changes. They each had programs which held together as a whole. Tonya's program, imo, was like several mini-programs tacked together.

Eeyora

Final Flight
This is the first competition I completely remember. Kristi became my first idol. Her skating was beautiful. She had the complete package here. Tonya's jumps were incredible. While Nancy had a lovely program.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Here are the results that year

1 Kristi Yamaguchi USA
2 Tonya Harding USA
3 Nancy Kerrigan USA
4 Midori Ito JPN
5 Surya Bonaly FRA
6 Josee Chouinard CAN
7 Joanne Conway GBR
8 Marina Kielmann GER
9 Patricia Neske GER
10 Yulia Vorobieva URS
11 Junko Yaginuma JPN
12 Chen Lu CHN
13 Simone Lang GER
14 Mari Asanuma JPN
15 Lenka Kulovana CZE
16 Anisette Torp-Lind DEN
17 Zuzanna Szwed POL
18 Lisa Sargeant CAN
19 Natalia Gorbenko URS
20 Lily Lyoonjung Lee KOR
FNR Marion Krijgsman NED
FNR Cathrin Degler FRG
FNR Tamara Teglassy HUN
FNR Beatrice Gelmini ITA
FNR Helene Persson SWE
FNR Laetitia Hubert FRA
FNR Sabrina Tschudi SUI
FNR Zeljka Cizmesija YUG
FNR Mila Kajas FIN
FNR Tamara Hegen AUS
FNR Marta Andrade ESP
FNR Milena Marinovich BUL
FNR Anita Thorenfeldt NOR
FNR Isabelle Balhan BEL
FNR Christine Czerni AUT
FNR Rosanna Blong NZL
FNR Diana Marcos MEX

S

SkateFan4Life

And there was Simone Lang of Germany in 13th place!

The 1991 Worlds were such a great competition, one of my all-time favorite Worlds. We may never have another instance in which three singles skaters from the same country sweep all of the medals.