Gumby | Golden Skate

Gumby

emma

Record Breaker
Eldredgefan2001 said:
Yes, she is VERY flexible, isn't she? :rock:

Really strong and with great balance too.

Just a question: what's 'gumby' about that picture?

I think what makes it look impossible is how her skating leg is turned out 90 degrees, while at the same time she is coming up into a complete split with her body facing toward her free leg.

I just tried it, leaning against a wall.

You can send flowers to me at Detroit Receiving Hospital, room 203B, LOL.

Mathman :)

millie

Medalist
Mathman said:
I think what makes it look impossible is how her skating leg is turned out 90 degrees, while at the same time she is coming up into a complete split with her body facing toward her free leg.

Mathman, I almost fell of my chair laughing, you crack me up!!!! Keep up the good work, I appreciate it. :rock: :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
OMG... :rofl: :rofl: I just tried to stand against the wall and turn one leg out 90 degrees, without even lifting the other one....let's just say I couldn't.

Yeah MM, her back position in that photo is stunning, and a major improvement.

orchid

On the Ice
Yes, much improved! Great bone structure of the back. Uhm, ribs or does she spin her head 360 :rofl:

IDLERACER

Medalist
That is not Gumby. Gumby is green. The color of her dress would suggest Pokey. Incidentally, have you ever noticed that the actual Gumby gets around by lifting one leg and skating barefoot?

orchid

On the Ice
Ahhh, just counting the days to the season opener.........and to wonder what color of her dress might be :rofl:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

:rofl: Instead of flowers, how 'bout I sneak you in some "real" food? :)

I give you bravery points for trying that move!!!

DG

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I can do that on land, but not ice. :) She has not just good flexibilty, but her balance with one foot above her head is like "whoa!"

MM-So, are you in a body cast? ;) ****Sending cyber lilies to MM**** :)

sk8m8

Final Flight
Ok, I thought Rgirl had this all explained...

Sasha is not Gumby or Pokey, She's "Bendy"

That is the "Beaver Cleaver spin" (as voted on my the posters at Golden Skate)

I still think it should be called the "Took Your Picture" spin.

That leads me to an idea...since they are making small wireless camaras (like the kind that put on skateboarders helmets) to capture the perspective of the action, perhaps they could tape one to sasha's legging so that the audience to see what a blur spin "looks like"....one note, please make sure the camara is facing the right direction :eek:

Funny you all should bring that up. If the camera faced outward as Sasha spun, it would look to the the viewer like Sasha was standing still and the arena was whirling about her. However, Sasha herself could tell that this is not the case because she would feel centrifugal forces, which the audience would not feel.

An unresolved question in the theory of general relativity is this: If there were no other matter or energy in the universe except Sasha, would she still feel these forces?

Mathman

(Sorry about that, LOL -- the fall semester started yesterday and I can't help myself)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, that would be something. The camera in this perspective would be a great idea.

orchid

On the Ice
Perhaps the camera sequence could be called the "Sasha-Snap" and could be one of the commercials which describe skating moves. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ya know, what the skater "sees" while spinning.