Johnny's Journal: change of LP music | Golden Skate

Johnny's Journal: change of LP music

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
How paranoid! He changed parts of his program in Sun Valley because some of his competitiors were there and he didn't want anything stolen? Please. IMHO his entire journal entry has such an obnoxious, pompous air to it, and I'm sure I won't be reading it again anytime soon!

Hey dancindiva - Thaaaaaats Johnnie! He's not use to being in such a refined sport, and in someways I find it refreshing. But I understand what you mean.

He does say a lot more than most skaters' journals say. For instance, apparently TT wants to keep he and Andrj apart.l How one can read into that is one's perception and I think that prompted the change of program in Sun Valley.
Just a thought - nothing really factual except that TT does keep the boys separate.

Joe

blackrose050

Rinkside
I really didn't find it obnoxious at all! Maybe he was being overly cautious...I doubt anyone was out to steal "his" moves. But I do understand not wanting to show off the program until the season begins. Maybe TT told him specifically NOT to let his competition see the finished product!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
In an interview that was translated on FSU, Plushenko is reportedly doing the same thing -- not showing his program until he absolutely has to. I'm sure by now a number of Buttle's competitors have seen the Thornhill version of his tribute to Glenn Gould, courtesy of a homemade tape that's downloadable, and have already started the comparisons.

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Changing his programs so that none of his competitors will try to steal them.. sheesh, how dumb.. Maybe he can work something out for the season, like, maybe he could get the arenas to provide huge curtains to place around the entire rink when he comes out to perform his program, only the judges will be allowed to see him. That way no one can steal "his" moves. ;) :biggrin:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Pau-goodle76 said:
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Changing his programs so that none of his competitors will try to steal them.. sheesh, how dumb.. Maybe he can work something out for the season, like, maybe he could get the arenas to provide huge curtains to place around the entire rink when he comes out to perform his program, only the judges will be allowed to see him. That way no one can steal "his" moves. ;) :biggrin:

Um, I think it is a real concern in August, which is when this program was performed. I doubt he will have the same concerns by October. Johnny is not the only one. There are still a few skaters that have not even announced their music yet. There are coaches who have their skaters training almost in secrecy. We have been getting reports on Johnny's skating all summer from summer skaters in Simsbury.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In my opinion Johnny was clever in changing his programme in Sun Valley! He is a competitive skater and Olympics are in this season, no reason to help other competitors by revealing too much. I would say about his Journals that I really enjoy reading them, because he always has something to say, he is not afraid to reveal and share a lot of himself. That´s what makes those journals such interesting readings!!!

Last edited:

Shanti

On the Ice
Pau-goodle76 said:

ITA.

What's the sense of stealing moves? And hiding them? :eek:hwell:
And what exactly can be stolen? Jumps? spins? They are pretty much the same. I haven' yet heard of any "Weir" element. Do skaters get extra scores for "their own" elements? Petrova/Tikhonov said in an interview it makes no sense under CoP to create new elements and then try to convince the judges how difficult they are. It's safer to do already known elements that already have their scores.

And ... "stealing" an element is just one part. The second is to perform it. If someone can do "Johnny's" element better than Johnny himself then it's definitely not a move Johnny should be so proud of. If not - nothing to be afraid of. Besides, does he seriously think his real contenders are going to steal his moves? Come on, Johnny. Who? AFAIK, skaters who skated at Sun Valley together with him can hardly be called his rivals with all respect to them. It's paranoia, indeed.

Plushenko is not going to show his program until important competitions for quite a different reason. His idea is to show them when he is in top form to make them most impressive and not to spoil the overall impression by a flawed skate. It does make sense.

Stealing an Element

I'm with Shanti on what's the point of not showing what you can do. figure skating has so few moves. It's a finite sport. Changes in spins are basically body positions (the edges remain the same); changes in jumps are basically just another air rotation (the jump remains the same).

MITFs and footwork could be unique because there is room for innovation. How much of that could be stolen is subjective.

Of course, if a skater not known for a quad is going to execute one he would not want to miss it in front of his fellow competitors. Just thinking.

Joe

Julie O

Rinkside
Plushenko and Mishin have already used that strategy. Remember in 2002, they unveiled a brand new long program at the Olympics? It was not received well by anyone important such as the judges and media commentators.
I think it's just Mishin's way. He is building suspense and trying to play mind games on Plushy's competitors and their coaches. :sheesh:

Julie

ATW27

On the Ice
Julie O said:
Plushenko and Mishin have already used that strategy. Remember in 2002, they unveiled a brand new long program at the Olympics? It was not received well by anyone important such as the judges and media commentators.
I think it's just Mishin's way. He is building suspense and trying to play mind games on Plushy's competitors and their coaches. :sheesh:

Julie

Actually, they waited to unveil his Olympic program at the Grand Prix Final that year, and it didn't go over too well with the judges, so they came up with another new Olympic program just before the Olympics, set to Carmen. That program was better recieved, and he used it as both an exhibition program (including on the 2002 COI tour), and as a secondary free program well in to the 2003/04 season. So, he got a lot of use out of that one. On the other hand, the first program, entitled "Scenes from an Artist's (or Actor's, according to whoever you talk to) Life", he only used a couple of times, mainly at the Final and Russian Nationals that year.

Andy W.

orchid

On the Ice
The Russian qualifying skate, for seniors, will be held September 20-21 and is closed to the public. In this test skate, Irina will reveal her new programs. I don't think she kept it all quiet because someone might steal some moves, rather if the program is not completed or appears rough, the judges, fans and the like begin to speculate. Why show it before it's time?

Additionally, for me, viewing the new programs for the first time and in a competition format is rather exciting, fresh and I appreciate the surprise. I can hardly wait for the moment Michelle steps on the ice and the music begins.

I believe Johnny could have chosen a better term than "steal" to describe the secrecy.

O

cianni

On the Ice
Understandble

I think he made a good decision. How fast we forget Wagner changing Sarahs programs after she saw Michelles. That happened quite often and yes some will change their programs if another skater is doing something they like or think will be to their advantage. Good for him.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was mention at one time about the Russian skaters not doing complete run throughs of their programs for whatever reasons. Maybe TT told Johnny to change his programs before debuting it for the first time in competition. Also, when TT was coaching Sasha, TT had mentioned in a fluff piece how Russians are superstitious.

I don't think Johnny is paranoid or secretive, he just didn't want to debut his actual program until he competes. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Dee