Moving Jitters | Golden Skate

Moving Jitters

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
In a few days we will take possesion of our new townhouse. We have packed a few boxes, but it is just the tip of the ice berg. We are hoping to be out of here by Mid October or end of October. My husband is dragging his feet in the packing end of things. It's almost frighting. I like to get everything done and ready to go well in advance. I am getting so I wake up early in the morning, worrying about it all. I keep thinking we will never be ready!!!!! Help!!!!!!..............

:eek:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Actually it sounds like you have the best scenario. You have a month in which to either do it all at once or slowly bring things over. Who cares if hubby is in denial. It means you'll have to take the lead in packing, which is ideal. You can be sure to go through exactly what you need or don't need.

I've moved so many times, it's old hat to me. My recommendation is that you start with the non-essentials first. Pack up pictures, books, videos, holiday stuff, dishes that you only use on special occasions.

Then map out a plan to pack one room at a time. It'll keep you on track.

And look for opportunities to get rid of stuff. That's the one part of moving that I love. Yard sale! The perfect time of year to get rid of stuff you don't need. The last thing you want is to pack stuff that you do not want or need anymore.

There's so many websites out there dedicated to providing tips for moving. I've moved on my own, with a moving company, without a moving company, across states, across mere blocks, etc. It seems daunting, but once you map out a plan and tackle it a piece at a time, the easier it becomes. And unpacking becomes a breeze if you pack smartly to begin with.

Anyway, I linked one of the many sites you can go to for ideas.
http://www.homestore.com/Move/Planning/Packing/LikeaProMove.asp?poe=homestore

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lad-
Skate Sandee gave you some really good advise.

My husband is not a packer, so I have had to pack our entire house more then once in our married life.

Each day pack something, one box two boxes, and before you know it you are ready! Label each box so you know what is in it.

Have fun :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Good luck with your move!! The advice given about getting rid of stuff you truly don't need is very good advice. It's something I've TRIED to perfect with each move in my life, but LOL I still end up with boxes in my basement that NEVER get unpacked. So I still have some learnin' to do on that one!!

Things always have a way of getting done somehow - so don't sweat it - it will all get done!

DG

sue123

Rinkside
I remember when we moved. We got rid of all non-essential things about a month before, and then nothing until about a week before the move, during which we would send a bunch of stuff to our new apartment. Clothes in a suitcase? Nope, we stuffed them into the car and dropped them off a week before we actually moved. But then again, my family was never very good at packing in advance. If I remember correctly, my parents were up till 4 in the morning the day of the move finishing packing, and then nothing was labeled right, it was all just stuck into where it fits. Don't do that. Also, we moved from a decent sized house for the city (nothing like houses in the suburbs) into a tiny little apartment, so we had no room for anything, and most of our stuff went into storage, since it was supposed to be a temporary move. We've been here for about 8 years already. The stuff that we had in storage was long sold.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks everyone. I actually was getting a little anxious unnecessarily. Now that our deal is going through, my other half is really getting with the program and packing. I came home from work tonight to find him packing and sorting. I've moved hundreds of times in my life so it's pretty routine to me. I have already started getting things boxed up for a garage sale or the thrift store.

Thanks again for your support. I appreciate it!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good luck with your move. The advice offered here seems very wise! :rock:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad.....When my mother-in-law moved to a nursing home, we sold her home quickly and had one week to completely pack it up and conduct an estate sale before the new owners moved in......42