Jenny quitting? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jenny quitting?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
As for the retirement issue- Some lyrics of Green Day's "Time Of Your Life" (I love this song) seems to come to my mind:

"It's something unpredictable
But in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life"

that's the only decent song they have!

as for Kimmie... she landed great 3As in practice... and just HOW old is she? Good grief... give the girl a chance to be young and inexperienced...

did Kwan get this much flack when she burst onto the senior level (wasn't around to caring "way back when") :scratch:

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
I don't get all this speculation about "politics." Am I just a babe in the woods?

Who benefits politically if one skater rather than another makes the Olympic team? Are there "red states" in USFS lobbying for Kimmie against the "blue states" who like Bebe? Does any money change hands? Power? Prestige?

Mathman

I believe in politics. If the USFSA believes that a certain skater will do better at worlds, that skater will be held up at nationals regardless of how she skates. For some reason they don't see Bebe as the skater that will bring in an Olympic medal. They see Kimmie that way and I believe it's all about the 3axel. In 2002 Angela made it easy for them by skating poorly in the LP, and that 3rd spot went to Sarah. Had Angela skated well, do you think she would have gotten that spot? I am not so sure. The politics and performance both favored Sarah, so there was no issue. That could happen for Kimmie also, but there is a possibility that one of the other young skaters would skate better than her. However, Kimmie is perceived as the future and possibly a Sarah-like surprise winner, just in case Michelle or Sasha don't get it done in Torino.

If Kimmie does not skate well in the GP series (I don't see that happening; she is a very consistent skater), and either Bebe or Emily win medals in both of theirs (are they in 2 GP's each?) it could change the picture a bit. However, unless one of them has a big 3-3 combo or a triple axel, the politics favor Kimmie. As I said, it depends on how a skater is perceived, not how she skates at the nationals. If Kimmie skates well enough to place 3rd or higher, I will have no complaints.

Vash

jesslily

Final Flight
Jenny made the decision probably only based three major factors, first is the third spot is most likely be Kimmie's. It doesn't matter that Kimmie lands 3 axel all the time or not. She is going to be in the Olympic team. The second might be Jenny's coaching situation. Bebe switched to Frank Carroll. Bebe in a way is better at jumping and has learned solid jumping technique. I heard thatFrank is not that patient to teach a student who has some old bad habit. So Jenny may not that happy with every day's practice. The third factor is her hip injury. It never cured and periodically bothers her.
I don't think that home sick is Jenny's reason to quit. She was in Cape Cod for years which is 100 miles away from her home. Even though her mother could go there to see her during weekend or she came home, but she still had to attend high school there and board room with another skater.

I still don't get this "annointed" thing. I agree that Kimmie is the flavor of the month right now. She made a big splash at Nationals last year, and media types have to write about something.

Still, I do not see how any political faction in USFS gains by pre-determining that Kimmie (or any other skater) should be sent to the Olympics if someone else outskates her this year.

Vash says that the USFS powers think that Kimmie is the best chance to win a medal at the Olympics. How can this be known at this time? The person most likely to do well in Torino is the person that skates the best between now and then, especially at Nationals. If that person is Kimmie, good for her. If it is someone else, why would USFS intervene? Would they say, well, Kimmie skated like crap and Katy Taylor skated superbly, but we'll send Kimmie anyway because she is the Annointed One?

In fact, IMHO, year in and year out, I think USFS has done an commendable job of not allowing politics to play much of a role in deciding who wins medals and international placements. Is Michelle Kwan "annointed" by the powers that be? I don't see any evidence of that. She earned every one of her 9 U.S. Championships and 5 World Championships by skating the best on that night. Many of her performances were all-time greats and a few were merely "better than the other ladies," but none were were politically motivated gifts.

Conversely, when she didn't skate the best, as in her two Olympic efforts and in 2004 and 2005 Worlds, she didn't win. Where's the politics?

JMO

Mathman

(Go Amber!)

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Still, I do not see how any political faction in USFS gains by pre-determining that Kimmie (or any other skater) should be sent to the Olympics if someone else outskates her this year.

Vash says that the USFS powers think that Kimmie is the best chance to win a medal at the Olympics. How can this be known at this time?
(Go Amber!)

I agree that if Kimmie is outskated decisively, then she won't go to the Olympics. BUT - in a close battle between a veteran like Amber (or Jennifer if she were going to stick around) and a newbie like Kimmie, I could easily see the USFSA tipping in favor of Kimmie. Why? Not because the powers that be think Kimmie is the best chance (after Sasha and Michelle) to win a medal in 2006, but rather looking ahead to the 2010 Olympics. Kwan and Cohen are all about NOW. Kimmie, Hughes, etc are all about the next cycle of dominant U.S. ladies. What better venue to prepare for the 2010 Olympic run than by giving them a non-pressure filled chance to experience the Olympics in 2006? That's why I believe the deck is stacked against skaters like Corwin and Kirk. In a reasonably close battle at Nationals, the USFSA would instinctively go for the next generation skater.

jesslily

Final Flight
I don't mean that USFSA pre-determined anybody. I mean a 15 year old cutie who has tremendous jumping ability certainly will and already get the attention and support from fans, news, and officials.
Jenny is a focusd skater. She did not quit when her Mother passed away who was major supporting role in her skating career. She did not quit when she first injured her hip badly. She never talked about quiting when she had other injuries. Jenny did not mentioned quiting when she and Scoltvolds were not in harmony. She relocated to Callahan's camp, and then to Frank Carroll's. I feel Jenny thinks she has tried her hardest, and has reached to the highest potiental she could. Now it's time to get her college education. She does not want to waste another one or two years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think there IS a sense around here (the US) that outside of the Big Two, Kimmie is the one with the biggest chance to place high in the Olympics (I don't see her doing as well as everyone else does though. Maybe around 7-12th place?). ITA with the poster that said that it will go her way in a close call. And it usually is that way- someone gets screwed. I think Meissner's main competitor right now is Hughes. Outside of the two of them I see no one else making the team. With Jenny out of contention it's even more certain. IMO.

Remember a couple of pro-ams where Cohen fell three times and STILL got 3rd place over Jenny? I think Jenny should have been above her BOTH times (especially the second time though). She's been screwed quite a bit, too. I think there might have been other instances but they don't come to mind right now. I don't blame her one bit if she found herself somewhat frustrated by this. But, more importantly, I think she might feel that she won't be able to get above 15th or something even if she does get to go to the Olympics. It's nice to be able to be called an Olympian but her goals may have been higher than that. JMO.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Who provides the financial backup to Jenny's skating? Her father? I watched a tv episode last year about her moving to Cal and with her father helping with her how go arrange her daly life financially......You know a lot could happen with her mother passed away more than two years(?) now.......emotionally and financially could change a lot at her age. (it might sound a little gossipi....)

cianni

On the Ice
rumours

Kimmie landing a 3/axel 3/toe was reported by me Cianni and it was not a rumour I was there and saw it and spoke to Kimmie after her practice that day. I didnt say she was consistant I just said I saw her land a clean 3/axel 3/ toe on that day at that practice. She is practicing 2 3/3s and the 3/axel for her program and again I dont know for sure if she will go for it in competition. I see her practicing a lot of things still doesnt mean she will put them in her program. The skaters sometimes change what they do on that day according to what their practices are like the wk. of the competition. Lets all take a break now and see what the skaters do on that day.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to see Jenny retire, but wish her all the best.

About politics: I honestly can't say anything about how politics translate into voting, but like MM, am very skeptical about that. However, the USFS DID send Kimmie to Worlds this year for exposure (for her benefit); on the one had, certainly she earned that as the third placer at nationals, but on the other hand, I can see how some people would perceive that as a kind of propping up/favortism. Whether skaters on the inside see it as anything at all is something I don't know either...

R.D.

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Kimmie landing a 3/axel 3/toe was reported by me Cianni and it was not a rumour I was there and saw it and spoke to Kimmie after her practice that day. I didnt say she was consistant I just said I saw her land a clean 3/axel 3/ toe on that day at that practice. She is practicing 2 3/3s and the 3/axel for her program and again I dont know for sure if she will go for it in competition. I see her practicing a lot of things still doesnt mean she will put them in her program. The skaters sometimes change what they do on that day according to what their practices are like the wk. of the competition. Lets all take a break now and see what the skaters do on that day.

If what you are reporting is true, then I commend her for taking that risk in an Olympic year, while the favorites are busy sticking to the SQ. IF she is landing said jumps in practice, then maybe we'll see a few in competition. This is exciting.

cianni

On the Ice
Hope So

I sure hope she will go for it also. The jumps are going well but I cant say 100% consistant. Kimmie is gutsy and a really nice kid. Im sure if the jumps are going well the wk. of the comp. she will put them in if they are off she will probably adjust her program. That makes sense to me. She knows she has 2010 if not this yr. for the Olys. She has her feet on solid ground,

For some reason the age of a female skater promotes the proverbial new gal on the block. You can't forget the hype Tara had even before the Olympics with the 'if she wins, she will be the youngest' ad nauseum. And the hype continued with the blessings (and money) of Poppa Lipinsky. It was a 'get Kwan' at all costs Olys.

Those same people do not want Kimmie to win the Olys at the young age! They've changed their tune. It's still 'get Kwan' but not with Kimmie. They want someone else to win and Kimmie could be a threat. JMO.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
cianni said:
I sure hope she will go for it also. The jumps are going well but I cant say 100% consistant. Kimmie is gutsy and a really nice kid. Im sure if the jumps are going well the wk. of the comp. she will put them in if they are off she will probably adjust her program. That makes sense to me. She knows she has 2010 if not this yr. for the Olys. She has her feet on solid ground,

That's a good thing to hear. This kind of attitude is what it takes to win the Olympics. For Kimmie, maybe not 2006 but 2010.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
For some reason the age of a female skater promotes the proverbial new gal on the block. You can't forget the hype Tara had even before the Olympics with the 'if she wins, she will be the youngest' ad nauseum. And the hype continued with the blessings (and money) of Poppa Lipinsky. It was a 'get Kwan' at all costs Olys.

Those same people do not want Kimmie to win the Olys at the young age! They've changed their tune. It's still 'get Kwan' but not with Kimmie. They want someone else to win and Kimmie could be a threat. JMO.

Joe

"Get Kwan?" I hardly think so. Maybe in the Lipinski camp it was so, but everyone else had kwan's back. In fact it was Kwan that got all the endorsements, money, fame, fans, etc. Tara was basically left out to dry after her 15min. of fame. IMO, it's anything but "get Kwan" at this point. Maybe now in 2006 things will change a little since this is her third try (and she's not the favorite this time), but I seriously doubt it. People like the "3rd time a charm" stories. But who will get the big spotlight? Kimmie? or Kwan?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's great that Kimmie is landing 3A3T in practice, but let's remember that it's PRACTICE. It's quite another thing to land a tough combination in competition.

Remember, after winning US bronze at 2005 Nationals, Kimmie didn't do so well at Junior Worlds and finished off the podium. I think all the Kimmie hype is not going to help her one bit, especially if the media starts pushing her as the 'next Lipinski'.

I think the USFS is hedging its bets by promoting Emily Hughes, too, especially since Emily did make the Jr World podium without having the years of international competition that Kimmie has had. Emily seems to have steadier nerves than Kimmie.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I sure believe Kimmie will risk the 3axel almost every time out this season. She needs the risk to break out the block. Once the block is breaken or she has something to lost then she might consider it 2nd time when to risk it or not that's assume her body don't change too much and the 3 axel still with her....just like almost every one else dose like Kwan, Cohen,....once upon a time they were fearless up coming as well, they have to out jump the more mature ladies ahead of them (only that Sasha never managed to do it, but she tried....)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
"Get Kwan?" I hardly think so. Maybe in the Lipinski camp it was so, but everyone else had kwan's back. In fact it was Kwan that got all the endorsements, money, fame, fans, etc. Tara was basically left out to dry after her 15min. of fame. IMO, it's anything but "get Kwan" at this point. Maybe now in 2006 things will change a little since this is her third try (and she's not the favorite this time), but I seriously doubt it. People like the "3rd time a charm" stories. But who will get the big spotlight? Kimmie? or Kwan?

Exactly... Tara got a lot of backlash after the olympics in the press. Saying she hadn't earned her title... and that she was running away with the medal.

never mind that she had all of the other gold medals that she wanted before she won the olys, but whatever :scratch:

Michelle was the media darlin in 98, and again in 02... not so much in the figure skating circles maybe as the overall media... but I mean come on! When she's used as an example in every stupid journalism book I own you're going to see a lot of press on the Kween (and it is torture for me lol :laugh: ) and heavin forbid you write an article that doesn't have her selected as the one that "will win". They tell you you "don't know what you're talking about." :scratch: I didn't know Michelle could skate at Euros, but that doesn't matter to mainstream media... she must be mentioned, somehow, in every article (sorry I had issues last semester in a journalism course... that's the last time I do anything figure skating related lol)

with Kimmie I think they're just looking for the next media darling... they did that for a while with Sasha but she hasn't quite lived up to the hype so they are already looking for another skater :laugh: I'm talking mainstream media... not skating specific...

honey827

Spectator
Why is a thread about Jenny's retirement turned into a discussion about anything but Jenny?. We can start separate threads to discuss, Michelle, why Tara isn't liked for the upteenth time and Kimmie and other upstarts. Getting back to Jenny I am glad she was able to leave the sport on a high note with a wonderful performance at the end of the 04/05 season. Also memorable was her wonderful 2003 SA with a great sp,lp and exhibition. I am also glad she was able to leave the sport having medaled at US Nationals. I wish her the best in her future endeavors and hope she will consider doing some Pro skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Jenny had to have been upset when she won a medal at 4CC and then found herself in the B envelope, especially since Amber Corwin won the same color medal the previous year and was in envelope A. Then she received only one GP assignment and wasn't invited to Campbell's even though she'd skated beautifully at the Spring cheesefest.

The USFS hasn't exactly been supportive of Jenny, and she had to have been tired of working so hard to no avail.