Why won't men | Golden Skate

Why won't men

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
go to the Dr.? Especially if they have any symptoms of colon cancer. My son in law, (oldest daughter that married in April) had surgery today. They did a
colostomy and it had spread to his bladder and guess they can't eliminate that so it is terminal. He is 55. What a shocker. I want to tell all of you, if you ever have any blood in your stools or urine, run, don't walk to get it checked out. That means if stools are tarry black or look like coffee grounds or urine looks bloody. That's what happened to my husband. Can things get any worse?

JOHIO2

Medalist
Grgranny,

How very sad that your family has to go through colon cancer again. It is especially sad that it very likely could have been found much sooner. Your family has had a lot of tough times with illness. :cry:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Starting at age 50 everyone should have a annual Colonoscopy and sooner if you have symptoms and or someone in the family has had colon cancer.

GrGranny-sorry to hear about you son-in-law.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Amen to that dlk.........I am trying to get my hubby to commit to the procedure, but he's balking................42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I would give everything I have to have talked my hubby into getting checked out sooner. I wish I knew how to get people to get these tests. Women too. I know the things you have to do for the tests and they are miserable but I've had them done many times and they didn't kill me. Everyone, not just men, need to do these tests. So, I guess you people think it's more trouble than it's worth by leaving your family to go on without you? Do you know how selfish you are to not have it checked out? Everyone should have this done every couple of years or so. Why do you think your family isn't worth you doing everything you can to stay well? Do you have any idea how devastating it is to lose a loved one for something that could have done something to have avoided a death sentence. I lost my dear husband because he wouldn't get tested. It is just so stupid to think your infallible. What will it take? Don't get the idea that it wouldn't happen to you! Same goes for smokers.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Explain to them that a colonoscopy at least isn't a lower GI exam old-school. I had one of those. It involves 24 hours of near-total fasting (clear fluids the first twelve, NOTHING but the laxatives the last twelve), a barium enema, and some of the worst physical discomfort I've experienced. And the kicker was of course that they didn't find anything so I got dumped into the junk-drawer IBS category, which at least was better than worrying about polyps or cancer.

I'm a hypochondriac, but I frequently avoid doctors. It's because even when you are convinced you're sick, as hypochondriacs are (and it's more than a put-on for pity, we have an obsessive disorder and really are CONVINCED something is wrong) sometimes you don't want to hear it confirmed. I'm never sure if I'm more afraid of the doctor telling me I'm nuts and imagining it, or of them saying "Well, darn, you ARE sick." Though sometimes the later's a relief, and even perversely satisfying--after I ended up in the hospital with a fairly rare blood problem I sent off a letter to my old doctor (who actually had IN MY FILE that I was a hypochondriac and they were humoring me) that boiled down to "I told you I was sick." It's a form of denial--"If I don't go to the doctor, I'm not sick." I'm not saying it's a good thing to do, or a sensible one, but for some people, even if they know they ought to go, they keep it from being real by not going. Until, of course, it catches up to them in some way.

Vash01

Medalist
GrGranny,

Sorry to hear about your son in law. I don't think it's just men that are afraid of getting something checked.

Vash

Petlover

On the Ice
GrGranny, I am so sorry to hear about your tragedy. Yes, men are very bad about going to the doctor, my father's Parkinsons would not nearly be so bad had he gone to the doctor when he first started getting symptoms instead of a couple years later.

I do understand how awful it is to have a family member with cancer. My 54 year old sister has a malignant brain tumor, we almost lost her a few weeks ago, and the doctors have said it is now in God's hands, they will what they can, but chemo no longer is an option. It's killing me emotionally.

I will pray for your family.

Marcia

GrGranny, so sorry to hear about your son-in-law.

Cancer wreaks havoc in my husbands family. Due to a family history and a genetic/hereditary strain of cancer, my husband has been getting periodic colonoscopies for over 10 years now and he just turned 50.

My husbands younger sister, who was first my friend and the reason I got together with her big brother, was going to the doctors for approximately 7 years with the on-and-off symptom of blood in the stools. They kept telling her she's too young for it to be anything. During her 2 pregnancies, the doctors saw "shadows" during her ultrasounds. At the age of 34 she was diagnosed with inoperable, terminal cancer...colon cancer that spread to liver, bladder and lungs. She passed before she turned 35 and left behind 2 young boys and her husband.

Don't ever ignore symptoms that GrGranny described. Don't ever let a doctor tell you you're too young for it to be anything serious. Insist on tests.

Just last year we lost my husbands father to Pancreatic cancer which apparently started in the gall bladder. It was the same strain of cancer that killed my SIL, just struck a different part of the body. FIL was getting colonoscopies regularly but it didn't help. FIL insisted he had NO symptoms, they just realized he looked yellow one day and started with doctors appts. and tests that led to the diagnosis. Doctors said he should have been in incredible pain, but he never was until the very end.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Amen to all the above. I'm so sorry to hear of another of your family being ill, Ggranny. Considered him added to our prayer list.

Everyone! Education is the key to most cancer prevention. If anyone needs any information about any kind of cancer questions, whether it be testing or treatment, call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345.

These people have almost all the answer to most questions about cancer screenings and preventative measures. If I'm not mistaken, there is a test that is very easy for men to take and you can even do it in the privacy of your home...a colon-rectal smear test will detect even pre-cancerous cells when done early and often. The discomfort is minimul and can be a life saver.

A friend of mine did this and detected pre-cancerous cells in the sample. He was able to find treatment and now is fine and dandy. Not so good news for his brother who was only a couple of years older...they found him riddled with the same type of cancer and he was in the peak of health to that time.

So, don't ignore the facts. Almost any temporary discomfort is worth the pain if it prolongs your life and health. The word is out...Real Men DO Get Regular C/R Exams! :thumbsup:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I am so sorry about y'all's loved ones with the illnesses. I only hope my posts will help get someone to get help. My sister was 62 when she finally lost her battle. It had gone from the lungs (she was a heavy smoker) elsewhere and she ended up with at least 13 brain tumors. :cry:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny so sorry about your son-in-law. Please make sure your daughter takes good care of herself through all of this. My uncle died from colon cancer 5 y/a at the age of 53. What sent him to the doctor was a "catch" in his side that wouldn't go away. A few months after he died his wife was dx. with colon cancer also. After a very brave fight we lost her last October.

For those who may be concerned about the colonoscopy procedure being painful your doctor will provide sedation as needed. If she/he won't...... find another doctor.

guinevere

Final Flight
Grgranny, I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law.

Petlover, I am also very sorry to hear about your sister.

:no:

Thanks to everyone about the reminders re: going to the doctor. I absolutely hate doctors, and finally got a full physical this spring for the first time in..... a long time.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thanks for all the thoughts from everyone. He's feeling quite good. Walked up and down the hall by himself today. Has a cat scan tomorrow to see if any is elsewhere in his body. I'm assuming he will probably go home Thurs. but you never know.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Ggranny-Good to hear he's doing better.
I think people should get physicals every 6 months. Health is nothing to neglect. I mean, just look at Michael Landon. He waited to get really looked at by a doctor only until he started to have chronic pains in his stomach. By then, it was too late for him. He died three months after his public announcement of pancreatic cancer. I say, if you can, take your guy kicking and screaming all the way to the doctor's office, if he's refusing to go. He might be a little grumpy about it at the time, but he also, might thank you someday for it. :)

Figureskates

On the Ice
Amen to the above and GrGranny, I am so sorry for your loss.

I am a 59 year old male and I had a colonoscopy over a year ago and folks, it really is no big deal. The preparation is no big deal either....I just played movies on my DVD and put the movie on pause when I had to hit the bathroom. My wife was amused since the movies I watched were "Volcano" and "Dante's Peak".

As far as the procedure was concerned, they put you under twilight sedation. When they gave me that, I don't remember a thing...though the doctor was amused since I babbled about figure skating the whole time.

The next thing I remember is being back in the recovery room. They give you a set of instructions for the next 24 hours...on the top of mine was in big letters "No Figure Skating Today"....apparently I babbled I was going skating in the afternoon.

For the piece of mind it brings to you and your loved ones......please go and not wait until the symptons occur.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Figureskates said:
They give you a set of instructions for the next 24 hours...on the top of mine was in big letters "No Figure Skating Today"....apparently I babbled I was going skating in the afternoon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My husband doesn't remember anything after being told to "turn onto your side".....until someone pops into the room and says "oh, you're awake, you can get dressed now".