Flashback to 1992 World Championshps | Golden Skate

Flashback to 1992 World Championshps

S

SkateFan4Life

I really had to hunt for my highlight tape from the 1992 World Figure Skating Championships, held in Oakland, California. After watching the action, I have to say that this competition featured some incredibly sloppy performances, as well as some excellent ones. Maybe everybody was tired from the long season and from competing at the Albertville Olympic Games. Anyway, here goes...

The men:
Viktor Petrenko of the "Unified Team" (former Soviet Union) had won the gold medal in Albertville, and he won his first and only World title at the 1992 Worlds. He skated two strong programs and convincingly won the title. I thought his skating was acutally better than it was at the Olympics, especially his long program. So many times Viktor ran out of energy in the second half of his long programs, but at the 1992 Worlds, he held things together pretty nicely. He was a very gracious champion. Very handsome, too!

Kurt Browning of Canada came into the 1992 Worlds as the three-time defending World champion. However, he was still recovering from the serious back injury that had plagued him at the Olympics and contributed to his very disappointing six-place finish there. I still remember his Olympic long program, in which he doubled and/or singled many of his jumps - ouch. At the Worlds, however, Kurt skated well enough to win the silver medal. Clearly, he was on the mend, and he stated his intentions to stay eligible through the 2004 Winter Olympics. I recall reading an article on these Worlds that equated Kurt's silver medal win as "redemption" for him. He seemed clearly happy to be back on the podium again.

Kurt's Canadian teammate, Elvis Stokjo won his first World medal, the bronze, with two powerful performances. What Elvis lacked in artistry he made up with in gutsy jumping.

Olympic silver medalist Paul Wylie had skipped the Worlds. Mark Mitchell, the bronze medalist at Nationals, competed at the Worlds and finished a respectable fifth. Mark was an elegant skater with a long, lean line.

US Champion Christopher Bowman, who had finished fourth at the Olympics, again finished fourth at the Worlds. In his long program, Christopher ran into the boards, and one of his knees was badly jammed. He managed to complete his program, but it was painful to watch him skate, as he was skating in obvious pain.

Todd Eldredge was recovering from a back injury and finished 7th.

The women:
Kristi Yamaguchi, the newly-crowned Olympic champion, defended her World title with ease, although she fell on her nemesis jump, the triple salchow. Nancy Kerrigan, the Olympic bronze medalist, won the silver at Worlds with a long program that was, well, terribly sloppy. There were a number of falls and miscues. Even Nancy appeared to be surprised at the relatively high marks she received, given the poor quality of her long program. Her parents were quoted as stating, "This was one competion in which we absolutely could not say the judges were unfair. If anything, they were generous." Frankly, in my opinion, Nancy was given a gift with the silver medal, based upon the mediocre quality of her long program. She looked almost embarrassed to accept the silver medal.

After finishing fourth at the Olympics, Tonya Harding had "soffened" her music and program and tried to present a more feminine look. It wasn't overly successful, however, as it really wasn't vintage Tonya, and she finished sixth at Worlds.

The elegant Lu Chen of China won the bronze medal.

The pairs:
Olympic champions Natalia Mishkutenok/Artur Dmitriev of the Unified Team (former USSR) defended their World title. Radka Kovarikova/Reno Novotny of Czechoslovakia won the silver medal with two very strong performances, and Canadians Isabelle Brasseur/Lloyd Eisler, the Olympic bronze medalists, won the bronze medal at Worlds.

US pair champions Calla Urbanski/Rocky Marval ('"The Waitress and the Truck Driver") placed seventh, with Natashi Kuchiki/Todd Sand eighth, and Jenni Meno/Scott Wendland eleventh.

Dance:
Olympic champions Marina Klimova/Sergei Ponomrenko (Unified Team) regained their World title. Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay, the Olympic silver medalists, skipped Worlds. Maia Usova/Alexander Zhulin of the Unifed Team won the silver medal, and Oksana Grishuk/Evgeny Platov
of the Unified Team won the bronze medal.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I was there! I remember Paul didn't even attend. He was not the one that decided to not go. They chose the others in his place. I was thinking it was Eldridge that went instead of him. Paul was so hurt he couldn't go watch. I never did understand why they would send an injured player instead of him. I didn't remember Kurt had received the silver. I do remember he really messed up and I felt really bad for him. His short was some kind of oriental type music. When he watched with the audience, he sat a few rows ahead of us. Man, were the girls crawling all over him. I felt I was so fortunate that my sweet husband would take me to it. I know Usova & partner fell but it was just on the other side of the boards and we couldn't see it. I always wondered what happened. I had set the vcr but must have flubbed as I didn't get it. And, like most other arenas they did not have nearly enough ladies restrooms. If I remember correctly the arena was smaller than a lot of them so they had problems skating in it.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Standings that year...

Ladies

1 Kristi Yamagushi USA
2 Nancy Kerrigan USA
3 Lu Chen CHN
4 Laetitia Hubert FRA
5 Josee Chouinard CAN
6 Tonja Harding-Gillooly USA
7 Alice Sue Claeys BEL
8 Yuka Sato JPN
9 Karen Preston CAN
10 Patricia Neske GER
11 Surya Bonaly FRA
12 Marina Kielmann GER
13 Tatiana Rachkova CIS
14 Joan Conway GBR
15 Charlene Von Saher GBR
16 Nathalie Krieg SWI
17 Krisztina Czako HUN
18 Lily Lyoonjung Lee KOR
19 Junko Yaginuma JPN
20 Anisette Torp-Lind DEN
21 Irena Zemanova CZE
22 Helene Persson SWE
23 Tamara Heggen AUS
24 Alma Lepina LAT

Men

1 Viktor Petrenko UKR
2 Kurt Browning CAN
3 Elvis Stojko CAN
4 Christopher Bowman USA
5 Mark Mitchell USA
6 Petr Barna CZE
7 Todd Eldredge USA
8 Alexei Urmanov RUS
9 Philippe Candeloro FRA
10 Vladimir Zogorodniuk UKR
11 Cornel Gheorghe ROM
12 Grzegorz Filipowski POL
13 Michael Slipchuk CAN
14 Konstantin Kostins LAT
15 Mirko Eichhorn GER
16 Steven Cousins GBR
17 Ralf Burghart AUT
18 Cameron Medhurst AUS
19 Masakazu Kagiyama JPN
20 Gilberto Viadana ITA
21 Michael Tyllesen DEN
22 Zhongyi Jiao CHN
23 Mitsuhiro Murata JPN
24 Jan Erik Digernes NOR

*Incidentally, Ivan Dinev was at these worlds, and did not qualify...

Pairs

1 Natalia Mishkutionok / Artur Dmitriev RUS
2 Radka Kovarikova / Rene Novotny CZE
3 Isabelle Brasseur / Lloyd Eisler CAN
4 Elena Beschke / Denis Petrov RUS
5 Evgenia Shishkova / Vadim Naumov RUS
6 Peggy Schwarz / Alexander Konig GER
7 Calla Urbanski / Rocky Marval USA
8 Natasha Kushiki / Todd Sand USA
9 Christine Hough / Doug Ladret CAN
10 Sherry Ball / Chris Wirtz CAN
11 Jenni Meno / Scott Wendland USA
12 Leslie Monod / Cedric Monod SWI
13 Anuschka Gläser / Stefan Pfrengle GER
14 Danielle Carr / Stephen Carr AUS
15 Anna Tabacchi / Massimo Salvade ITA
16 Katarzyna Glowacka / Krzysztof Korcarz POL
17 Kathryn Pritchard / Jason Briggs GBR
18 Elaine Asanakis / Mark Naylor GRE
19 Lyne Haddad / Sylvain Prive FRA
20 Jung-Yoon Choi / Yong-Min Lee KOR

Ice Dance

1 Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko RUS
2 Maia Usova & Alexander Shulin RUS
3 Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov RUS
4 Stefania Calegari & Pasquale Camerlengo ITA
5 Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko FIN
6 Sophie Moniotte & Pascal Lavanchy FRA
7 Dominique Yvon & Frederic Palluel FRA
8 Katerina Mrazova & Martin Simecek CZE
9 April Sargent-Thomas & Russ Witherby USA
10 Aliki Stergiadu & Jurijs Razgouliajev LAT
11 Jennifer Goolsbee & Hendryk Schamberger GER
12 Jacqueline Petr & Mark Janoschak CAN
13 Anna Croci & Luca Mantovani ITA
14 Regina Woodward & Csaba Szentpetery HUN
15 Rachel Mayer & Peter Breen USA
16 Penny Mann & Juan Carlos Noria CAN
17 Margarita Drobiazko & Povilas Vanagas LTU
18 Valerie Le Tensorer & Jorg Kienzle SUI
19 Melanie Bruce & Andrew Place GBR
20 Agnieszka Domanska & Marcin Glowacki POL
21 Albena Denkova & Hristo Nikolov BUL
22 Kaoru Takino & Kenji Takino JPN
23 Noemi Vedres & Endre Szentirmai HUN
24 Monica MacDonald & Duncan Smart AUS

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I remember being glad that Laetitia Hubert placed so high. Her LP at the Olympics was such a nightmare, I could have cried for her. It was in her home country too. When the commentators are saying "Bless her heart...", you know it's bad. I gave her great credit for coming back from that.

S

SkateFan4Life

SusanBeth said:
I remember being glad that Laetitia Hubert placed so high. Her LP at the Olympics was such a nightmare, I could have cried for her. It was in her home country too. When the commentators are saying "Bless her heart...", you know it's bad. I gave her great credit for coming back from that.

I agree with you. Laetitia Hubert's 1992 Olympic long program was a disaster of the first order. I gave her a great amount of credit for holding her head high and competing at the 1992 Worlds - and skating so, so much better.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I mainly remember a lot of sub-par skating (even for an Olympic-year Worlds), really really strange results, and judging panels unable to reach anything even remotely approaching a consensus (as to placement) for about 50% of the skaters there. I'd have to say that of all the Worlds I've seen (all since 1979, except '94 and '02), this was by far the worst.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
The Ladies' placements were very strange. Kerrigan didn't skate well, but was scored generously. Hubert and Lu Chen's placements did a flip because of Harding's skate. I think a great many of those watching were left totally bewildered!

S

SkateFan4Life

SusanBeth said:
The Ladies' placements were very strange. Kerrigan didn't skate well, but was scored generously. Hubert and Lu Chen's placements did a flip because of Harding's skate. I think a great many of those watching were left totally bewildered!

The judging had everyone shaking their heads is dismay. Kerrigan's long program was sloppy and, quite frankly, not worthy of a World silver medal, but she received VERY generous marks from the judges.

At least Kurt Browning rebounded after his disappointment at Albertville and won the silver medal.

Lois

Rinkside
As Grgranny said, Paul Wylie didn't choose to skip Worlds, it was the stupid USFSA that chose not to send Paul to Worlds, but to send an injured Todd Eldredge to both Olympics and Worlds, both of which were disasters for Todd. Mark Mitchell was sent to Worlds instead of Paul, and placed 5th, ahead of Todd. I was there, and it was a terribly disappointing Worlds overall. The high point for me was Nathalie Krieg, who got a standing ovation for her long program, packed with her incredible spins, even though hardly anyone in the audience was familiar with her. She ended up 16th, but of course she wasn't shown on the TV coverage. I also liked Axel Mederic of France, who was eliminated after the short program, sigh. Other disappointing no-shows, besides Paul's involuntary absence, were Midori Ito and the Duchesnays. It was a terrible Worlds overall, IMHO, with a lot of poor skating even from skaters who usually did better.

Lois

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, Natalie was really great. Couldn't jump worth a hoot but WOW! She was really a great spinner. :clap: :rock:

soogar

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Nancy Kerrigan, the Olympic bronze medalist, won the silver at Worlds with a long program that was, well, terribly sloppy. There were a number of falls and miscues. Even Nancy appeared to be surprised at the relatively high marks she received, given the poor quality of her long program. Her parents were quoted as stating, "This was one competion in which we absolutely could not say the judges were unfair. If anything, they were generous." Frankly, in my opinion, Nancy was given a gift with the silver medal, based upon the mediocre quality of her long program. She looked almost embarrassed to accept the silver medal.

Maybe Nancy should have kept that moment in mind when she was so bitter about her silver medal in 1994. What comes around goes around and quite frankly, this wasn't the first time Nancy medaled with a horrible performance.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Frankly, in my opinion, Nancy was given a gift with the silver medal, based upon the mediocre quality of her long program.

ITA. Nancy skated one of the worst LPs (with the exception of Prague) that I had ever seen her skate in this competition. The 5.8-5.9s for such a shaky performance were ridiculous. This is one reason why I never understood completely the shock some people seemed to feel after she imploded at the Prague Worlds the following year. Certainly she was the favorite based on history of placements, but I don't believe she had ever skated a clean LP in a major competition before this event. Her meltdown was not such a shock. It had been coming on for years. But, on a brighter note, I was so happy to see her finally pull it all together for Lillehammer. She worked harder than ever before and was extremely focused....and it showed. She skated the two best performances of her life.
I had always assumed that Paul Wylie chose not to go to Worlds. I didn't know the USFSA decided not to send him. How crappy! He put such a fine face on the sloppy men's event in Albertville. Ah well! At least he ended his career on an extremely high note, giving us two performances that we still drool over all these years later!

Lois

Rinkside
The USFSA decision not to send Paul Wylie to '92 Worlds was made back at Nationals, before Paul's stunning Olympic silver medal (which should have been gold, IMHO, but that's another thread). Todd didn't compete at Nationals due to a back injury, and from reports the Olympic and World team selection meeting was extremely bitter and hard fought, and the final selection committee decision was to send Todd to both Olympics and Worlds, Paul, the National silver medalist, to the Olympics, and Mark Mitchell, the bronze medalist, to Worlds. Chris Bowman, who won Nationals, was sent to both, of course. When Paul nearly won the Olympics, but wasn't on the World team, the USFSA had egg on its face big time, but instead of changing their team selections they stuck with their pre-Olympic assignments. Since Todd seemed to be badly injured for both Olympics and Worlds, you have to wonder about the USFSA skater monitoring and why he wasn't replaced by Mark/Paul for one or both competitions, and a fairer way of handling the situation would have been to send Mark Mitchell and the two highest placed US men at the Olympics to Worlds--poor Mark got ripped off a number of times in competition, IMHO, and I wish that he and Paul had both had a chance to do Olympics and Worlds that year, so I don't begrudge Mark that Worlds spot.

Lois

S

SkateFan4Life

I, too, wasn't terribly surprised when Nancy Kerrigan completely fell apart at the 1993 Worlds. Her 1992 Olympic bronze medal was a gift, IMHO, as she made several major mistakes in the long program, and her silver medal at the 1992 Worlds was a gift, plain and simple. Nancy did not get one iota of sympathy from me when she finished second in Lillehammer. Yes, she skated two strong programs, and she actually earned the medal this time!!

Kerrigan had an unfortunate history of imploding in long programs. Her skate at the 1989 Skate America competition was nothing short of disaster. One fall after another - ugh.

IMHO, the USFSA was enthralled with Kerrigan, whose attractive looks made her the "American Katarina Witt". Nancy was feminine, stylish, and looked like a skating queen - when she wasn't falling on the ice, i.e.

As for Mark Mitchell, I really felt sorry for the guy. He definitely should have been on at least one or two more World teams. Mark was the "boy in the bubble" for so many years, as he had to settle for the pewter medal and an alternate placement on national teams. Todd Eldredge was seriously injured during the 1992 season, and why the USFSA did not monitor the situation was a mystery to me. I suppose the fact that Todd was the defending World bronze medalist and former US champion swayed the USFSA in his favor. Poor Mark!!

soogar

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
As for Mark Mitchell, I really felt sorry for the guy. He definitely should have been on at least one or two more World teams. Mark was the "boy in the bubble" for so many years, as he had to settle for the pewter medal and an alternate placement on national teams. Todd Eldredge was seriously injured during the 1992 season, and why the USFSA did not monitor the situation was a mystery to me. I suppose the fact that Todd was the defending World bronze medalist and former US champion swayed the USFSA in his favor. Poor Mark!!

I remember Todd's skates at the Olympics in 1992 and I don't believe his problems there were because of injuries. His problems were mental because he made mistakes on elements that were normally easy for him (if my memory serves me correct, he landed the difficult stuff in his SP and fell on the double axel).

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
I remember Todd's skates at the Olympics in 1992 and I don't believe his problems there were because of injuries. His problems were mental because he made mistakes on elements that were normally easy for him (if my memory serves me correct, he landed the difficult stuff in his SP and fell on the double axel).

I think Todd's problems in Albertville were a combination of physical and mental issues. He was still nursing a back injury, he was not in the best of physical shape, and he was probably not as mentally tough as he needed to be to just skate through the injury. I remember that he made a "gun" out of one of his hands and "shot" himself in the head after he had competed. Falling on a double axel is, literally, shooting yourself in the foot.

S

SkateFan4Life

During the summer of 1992, Kristi Yamaghuchi made the decision to leave the eligible ranks and turn pro. While I certainly respect her decision, and after all, she had won the Olympic, World, and US titles that season, I was hoping she would stay in the game for the next two years and compete at Lillehammer. I could envision an American sweep of the Olympic medals in 1994 - perhaps wishful thinking, of course!

And, what a glorious competition it might have been to have had Yamaguchi and Oksana Bauil contend for the World and Olympic titles! Wow.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
Maybe Nancy should have kept that moment in mind when she was so bitter about her silver medal in 1994. What comes around goes around and quite frankly, this wasn't the first time Nancy medaled with a horrible performance.

Well said, and I agree with you completely. :agree: