Fingers crossed for a "Little Brother!" | Golden Skate

Fingers crossed for a "Little Brother!"

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I finished the (extensive!) screening process early this summer for the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. Unfortunately in my area, Big Brothers are in much higher demand than Big Sisters are, so it's been a long wait.

My only request was that my Little be within a certain driving distance of my home, and that the case worker thinks it has high potential to be a good match based on what they know about me, and what they know about the child. I did not request a boy v. a girl, or any age limit, or anything like that.

I got a call yesterday about a 13 year old boy who they think is a good match. These situations are so sad - he has no idea who his bio dad is, and his mother has been in and out of his life. His current guardian and the only real stable person in his life is his grandfather (who does not speak English - the boy is bi-lingual). He likes soccer and basketball, so he will be able to teach me more about that. He loves animals, but has never been able to have a pet so I will be able to expose him to some of that.

I'm expecting a call tomorrow from a volunteer translater so we can arrange a time for me to go meet Christian and his Grandpa. I'm hoping you will all keep your fingers crossed that things go well, and it turns out to be as good of a match as it sounds!!! I really hope I'm equipped to be a positive adult friend to this kid.

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
All the best to you! It's great what you're doing, and I really hope it works out well for the both of you.

One thing I am curious about - whose idea was it to bring it Christian to the program? It's unlikely that the grandfather did. Was it a social worker? If so, what kind of a commitment is there to it?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
All the best to you! It's great what you're doing, and I really hope it works out well for the both of you.

One thing I am curious about - whose idea was it to bring it Christian to the program? It's unlikely that the grandfather did. Was it a social worker? If so, what kind of a commitment is there to it?

Social worker referrals are certainly one way children enter the BB/BS program. Referrals from other families who have participated is a common way too. Or school teachers, etc. BB/BS maintains a very high visibility in my community, and I'm not sure (yet) which path Christian came in on. Another program BB/BS runs here is a volunteer, after school tutoring program for younger kids, and job / career mentoring program for high school kids.

Just as the "Bigs" are screened very carefully to enter the program, so are the "Littles." A one year committment is expected on both sides. Additionally, the children in the BB/BS program are screened in terms of background for other problems. i.e. any history of violent behavior or any other series behavioral / psychological problems would cause the BB/BS organization to refer the child towards other services more appropriate to help with those types of more complex problems.

One of the reason Big Brothers are in higher demand is simply statistical. A much higher % of kids that can benefit by the program are in single parent homes with the mother or grandmother. Since the "Dad's" are typically the absentee figures, a stable male friend and role model tends to better fit the most common need. Most of the children in my local area in this program are from single parent / guardian homes.

Wow - what a long answer to your short question!!

DG

Congratulations, DG :rock: This could work out great, with your dogs. If Christian likes animals and always wanted a pet, sometimes "animal therapy" can work wonders. Does Buck like to be hugged?

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Congratulations, DG :rock: This could work out great, with your dogs. If Christian likes animals and always wanted a pet, sometimes "animal therapy" can work wonders. Does Buck like to be hugged?

Mathman

OK - you have a future as a fortune teller!!! Buck is actually our ambassador dog for kids. The bigger dogs only get introduced much later (and only one at a time LOL) once we're confident the kids will be OK with it.

I also have an animal adventure here in mind:

http://www.godtw.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/DorothysPonies.html

Also on my list if he's interested, are a visit and tour of my vet's office, and also a visit to a local animal shelter.

A very cool thing about the BB/BS program is thinking about free or REALLY inexpensive things to do together. Looking just at the suggestion list from BB/BS (just to get your brain started!) made me realize just how "commercial" I've become over the years.

I'm also looking forward to learning more about Christian's interests (soccer and basketball so far) that I know little about. And maybe he can teach me a little Spanish, which I've always wanted to learn.

Can you tell I'm excited??? I really hope Christian and I become friends.

Thanks for your support!!

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Good luck DG. You are beginning what can be a very rewarding but also sometimes heartbreaking experience. The world needs more people like you who are willing to to risk taking a chance on a kid that needs help. :agree: :rock: :clap: . Christian is a lucky boy to be matched up with you. I wonder if he appreciates ice skating? Getting to become friends with your dogs should be fun for him. One of my girls who has many behavioral problems is great with Abbey. Not only does Abbey seem to have a calming effect on her, but H seems to be able to put Abbey's needs before her own....something that she is uable to do with humans.

Fingers and paws (OK, actually forelegs for Abbey) crossed here for you and Christian.

Piel

JOHIO2

Medalist
DG, don't forget to take him to a dog show. He may not care much about conformation, but you know how exciting agility and flyball are!

But I bet he'll really like the ponies.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I admire you for this and am praying for it to be successful. More power to you. It's a really great thing. :clap: It would be great if you found a circus to take him to. And Cirque soliel. I don't know the word nor how to spell it so hope you can figure out what I am talking about. :rock: :yes:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Doggies! Agility! The Circus!

Fingers are crossed that I get the call from the interpretter today to arrange a first meeting...

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Important day tomorrow! (Sat)

I am meeting with my prospective Little Brother and his Grandpa tomorrow at 1PM CST. I hope you will all keep those fingers crossed!! Thanks a million for you kind words of support in this new adventure.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Update...

I met with Christian and his Grandpa yesterday. He is such a nice boy, and his Grandpa obviously loves him very much and wants a good life for him. Christian's favorite subject in school second to gym class/sports is science. At this point in his life he hopes to be a doctor someday. He really likes animals and has a pet fish named Hot Sauce and a pet hamster named Chiquita.

Next Wednesday after school we are taking my Beagle to a park where we plan to learn about starting a dog in tracking. Then we hope our next trip will be down to my Mom's place because Christian wants to see a "real" minature horse. He has seen them on Animal Planet but never one in real life. :)

Does anyone here have kids and know anything about these dragon cards they collect? Christian has quite a card collection, and was explaining that you play games with them and all of that. I can't remember what the exact name of the cards is. If anyone knows, I'm hoping to just do a little research on the internet.

Thanks!!
DG