Looking Back - 1982 World Championships | Golden Skate

Looking Back - 1982 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

My memories of the 1982 World Figure Skating championships, held in Copenhagen, Denmark include some remarkable skating by the women and by "Their Greatnesses", Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean.

The Women:
Elaine Zayak of the United States, the 1981 World silver medalist, had been in seventh place after the school figures and the short program, and it seemed pretty unlikely that she would be able to medal in that competition. Elaine had fallen several times at the 1982 US Nationals, where she lost her title to Roz Sumners. I recall a bio on Elaine in which she said that she had become almost "spooked" concerning her ability to land her jumps. For Elaine Zayak to not be able to land triples, it was a disaster, as multiple triples - four triple toes and two or three triple salchows - where the bread and butter of her long programs. Elaine had a long talk with one of her coaches on this subject, and that enabled her to regain some of her confidence. Her coach told her (to paraphrase), "If you're nervous about landing your jumps, that's a normal pre-competition feeling, but if you're fearful about landing your jumps, that's an indication that you doubt your ability. What you're feeling is nerves, not fear, and you'll be OK."

Zayak skated a six-triple jump long program at the 1982 Worlds that completely blew away the competition. None of the women came close to matching her, jump for jump. She won the long program and won the World title. It was amazing.

The ISU, however, wasn't quite as thrilled, as it saw this as the dawning of a "jumping bean" syndrome for the women in which the women would focus primarily on landing triples and ignore or at least place less emphasis on artistry and presentation. The ISU instituted the ruling that became known as the "Zayak Rule", whereby a triple jump could be repeated in the long program only once, and if a triple jump was performed twice, one of those times it had to be landed in combination. This ruling took away much of Zayak's competitive edge, and effectively prevented her from winning another World title.

Katarina Witt of East Germany skated to the soundtrack from the movie "Superman" and won the silver medal. Peggy Fleming, commentating, remarked that Katarina was "such a pretty girl. She's just adorable on the ice". This was Katarina's first World medal.

Rosalyn Sumners, who had won her first of three US titles that season, was skating with an injured hip. She was unable to perform some of her triples, but she skated a respectable competition and finished sixth.

The Men:
Scott Hamilton won his second World title. One of the more interesting skaters in the men's field that year, in my opinion, was Norbert Schramm of West Germany. Norbert struck some very unusual positions in his spins and jumps, and, well, some people thought his style was quite bizarre. The judges liked his skating, though, and he won the silver medal. Canadian Brian Pockar won the bronze medal.

In the exhibition, Norbert skated over to the King and Queen of Denmark and said hello to them. Dick Button asked Norbert what he had said to the royal couple. Norbert said, "I just said hello to them". When asked what the King and Queen said in response, Norbert said, "They said hello to me". Both of them had a good laugh.

Ice Dancing:
Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean won their second World dance title to a terrific "Mack and Mabel" program. Their choregraphy was absolutely stunning, and the judges gave them a slew of 6.0s for presentation. Natalia Bestimianova/Andre Bukin of the USSR won the silver medal, and Judy Blumberg/Michael Siebert of the United States won the bronze medal.

The Pairs:
Sabine Baess/Tassilo Theirbach of East Germany won the gold medal with strong technical programs. Marina Pestova/Stansilav Leonovich of the Soviet Union won the silver medal, and Kitty and Peter Carruthers of the United States won the bronze medal.

It was a great, great competition!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Thanks again for the great recaps, SkateFan. I really enjoy reading about these competitions. I have never seen any World competitions that took place before 1987. Anyway, I have heard so much about this one....mostly because of Elaine Zayak and the infamous rule that was put into place after her win here. How in the world did she jump from 7th to 1st? That is very impressive. I wish there were a comprehensive site that had all of the World marks and detailed results. Also, where were the 1984 Olympic Champions, Valova & Vasiliev?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
Thanks again for the great recaps, SkateFan. I really enjoy reading about these competitions. I have never seen any World competitions that took place before 1987. Anyway, I have heard so much about this one....mostly because of Elaine Zayak and the infamous rule that was put into place after her win here. How in the world did she jump from 7th to 1st? That is very impressive. I wish there were a comprehensive site that had all of the World marks and detailed results. Also, where were the 1984 Olympic Champions, Valova & Vasiliev?

I think Elaine took advantage of the fact that the leader, Kriistina Wegelius, literally had a meltdown (of Kerrigan proportions). Kat and Elaine were both very lucky that the top six didn't skate as well as they could have. Kat came from 10th place to win the silver!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
This was another competition in which I gave someone great credit for coming back after disaster. (Hubert was the other one.) I remember Zayak's national lp that year as pure torture to watch. I don't know which Rocky movie has the trainer screaming at Rocky to just stay down (probably all of them) but that sums up my feeling watching Elaine's National lp. At one point, it seemed like she was heading for the boards. It seemed like a suprise move to Button, but he was having difficulty getting understandable words out. It was hard to be sure. I can well imagine that performance must have been devastating to her.

I remember reading that she went to Worlds intending that to be her last competition. Winning came as a complete shock and not an altogether welcome one. The people around her worked hard at preventing her from quitting!

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was born in 1982, so I have no memory it, either, but it's great to read a play by play of someone who remembers it. :agree:

JockProf

Rinkside
Didn't Min and Mo win the bronze in dance that year? I thought the Blumberts were 4th again and didn't medal until 1983 - of course, you know how the memory is the first to go ...

gkelly

Record Breaker
Just checked Skatabase and the ISU site. Yup, you're right about Moiseeva/Minenkov, JockProf.

Haven't watched my 1982 tape recently and I'm not sure I even have that dance event on tape. It wouldn't surprise me if ABC simply showed the top 2 and the top Americans and didn't get specific about the medal results.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

BronzeisGolden said:

My pleasure - glad you enjoy reading the recaps. Indeed, Elaine made an amazing, amazing comeback in the 1982 Worlds. She blew her short program and was in 7th place heading into the long program - then she literally blew away the rest of the field and won the title, based on her 6-triple jump program. It certainly helped her cause that the rest of the field had error-laden programs.

Elaine was almost in a state of shock - mixed with joy, of course - at her win. Who would have predicated that result?

Elaine's performance at the 1982 US Nationals was disastrous - as one of the posters wrote - it resembled Nancy Kerrigan's 1993 World meltdown long program. She fell three or four times and completely threw away her chance to retain her US title. When the medalists were announced for the medal ceremony at the end of the competition, Elaine almost did not come out. She was devastated, plain and simple. It was so wonderful to see her skate that great long program at the 1982 Worlds! :clap:

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

I knew that Katarina Witt had moved up considerably to win the silver medal, but I thought she was in sixth place after the short program, not tenth place. However, I'll certainly accept what the poster wrote about her moving up from 10th position. All I can say is -- there were a lot of weak long programs that night!

S

SkateFan4Life

Rosalyn Sumners had been a surprise winner at the 1982 US Nationals, but she had seriously injured her hip and skated in a great deal of pain at the 1982 Worlds. She finished sixth, which was a respectable finish for one's first Worlds competition. She told Dick Button, "My hip is killing me, but I wanted to compete and show everyone what I could do." Good for you, Roz! :clap:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Very interesting.... I, too, for the last 23 years, have been under the impression that Katarina was in 10th after the SP. However -- as I look at my scrapbook clippings from that Worlds, I find out I was mistaken. It should be noted that newspaper coverage of skating events in the early 80s was sketchy at best, so I don't have a lot of full info, but what I did notice was this: Witt finished with a total score of 7.8. Assuming she was 2nd in the long, which I believe she was, this would have given her 5.8 going into the final, which would have put her 4th, 5th, or 6th after the SP. (The LA Times only gave the top 3 and the Americans; Vodorezova was in 3rd with 4.2; then it cuts to Zayak in 7th with 6.4); so, SkateFan, I do believe you may be right. I am now dying to know where on earth I got the impression that Witt was in 10th; perhaps that was her figures placement.

To say that there were a lot of weak programs that night is putting it mildly. I hope a Worlds audience (or audience at any competition for that matter) ever has to sit through the likes of that again. What made things especially annoying was after all that falling and splatting around, one of the better programs of the night (and IMO the best as I remember) was that of Rosalynn Sumners. However, since she only did DOUBLES, she was marked down. This was the start of that judging mentality wherein a total botched up mess from start to finish with a bunch of messed up triple attempts is a FAR SUPERIOR program to a nice clean well executed one with a bunch of (everyone cringe in horror) DOUBLES. To which I say, Yeah, whatever. Another lady I remember as skating well was Elizabeth Manley, who I saw on the ESPN coverage. It was the first time I'd ever even heard of her, and tho she was in 23rd place at the time (tho since I thought Witt was in 10th, don't file that under Gospel Truth), she was extremely good in the long and I really thought she was in for a big future, which, as it turned out, was correct. Liz is one of my rare early career handicapping successes in this sport!

As to the men, I was actually rather a fan of Norbert Schramm; I thought he was quite innovative and fun to watch; very quirky. In later years, after reading the respective autobiographies of Brian Orser and Scott Hamilton, I was amazed at how little respect either had for him. I mean, I got the impression that they really didn't like him at all. Must have been in part a personal thing.

In pairs, Baesse & Thierbach were absolutely terrific and until Shen & Zhao (or possibly Brasseur & Eisler) came along, I never saw a pair do such flawless, high-flying throw jumps. IMO they really set a new standard in this area. (Speaking of Eisler, he was there too, with Lori Baier, partner #1 of 3 on the Worlds level. They were 8th in the SP, but don't know where they finished).

Dance is one competition I would love to see again with new eyes. I was a fan of Blumberg & Seibert's, but beyond that, until T & D did "Barnum" (the following season), you could not get me to sit through an entire Free Dance, and for me Mack & Mabel was no exception. In subsequent years, I get the impression that I was truly missing out on a treasure and I'd love to see it again now that I can appreciate it. All I remember about it at the time was, Man, are those costumes absolutely ugly..... [Which they WERE!!!]

S

SkateFan4Life

Yes, Roz Sumners skated a very, very lovely long program at the 1982 Worlds, but because she skated ONLY double jumps, the judges marked her quite low in the technical portion. She clearly was a young woman with a big future in the sport of figure skating, as she proved when she won the World title the next year.

Norbert Schramm had some unique moves, interesting spins, and unconventional choreography. Brian Orser wrote in his autobiography of the 1982 Worlds, in which he won his first World medal, the bronze. He wrote that, although he was thrilled at being on the podium, he felt he should have won the silver medal. He did not think Norbert was especially talented, and he was jealous of the fact that this "lesser talented" skater finished above him at Worlds. As Brian wrote, he and Norbert had a meeting some time later in a bar somewhere in Europe, where they talked things over and emerged on friendly terms.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Norbert Schramm had some unique moves, interesting spins, and unconventional choreography. Brian Orser wrote in his autobiography of the 1982 Worlds, in which he won his first World medal, the bronze. He wrote that, although he was thrilled at being on the podium, he felt he should have won the silver medal. He did not think Norbert was especially talented, and he was jealous of the fact that this "lesser talented" skater finished above him at Worlds. As Brian wrote, he and Norbert had a meeting some time later in a bar somewhere in Europe, where they talked things over and emerged on friendly terms.

Actually, what you're describing is the 1983 World Championships in Helsinki. Both Scandanavian, easy mistake. The other Brian, Pockar (may he rest in peace), won the bronze in '82. Orser skated beautifully, but was burried too far down in figures to make the podium.

S

SkateFan4Life

Pixie Cut said:
Actually, what you're describing is the 1983 World Championships in Helsinki. Both Scandanavian, easy mistake. The other Brian, Pockar (may he rest in peace), won the bronze in '82. Orser skated beautifully, but was burried too far down in figures to make the podium.

You're right, and thanks for the correction. I certainly did not intend to bypass the late Brian Pockar, who, indeed, won bronze at the 1982 Worlds. Brian Orser won his bronze medal in 1983, with Schramm in second place again.

The school figures were certainly Brian Orser's undoing at the 1984 Olympics, as many of us have noted during the past several years. He won both the short and long programs but only finished 7th in the figures. :no: