Results coming in on Junior Grand Prix -------- | Golden Skate

Results coming in on Junior Grand Prix --------

Sportsfans if you are interested in Figure Skating and do not care one iota about the rivalry between Kwan and Cohen until you see them skate and then wonder about Irina, I would suggest you check out the various Junior GP Events which are under way.

Here are some completed: Andorra (is Mao Asada vulnerable?)

Estonia (who knew Tommy Steenberg could outskate Uspensi?)

Bratislava which makes Miller and Brubaker golden.

Remember these are the skaters from all over the world we will be seeing next year.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mai Asada is Mao's older sister and not quite as "invincible" as Mao! ;)

Vladimir Uspenski (competing in Estonia this week) is the younger brother of Alexander who won the first JGP in Slovakia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sylvia - I didn't know about all these siblings. I just thought it was the Hughes sisters :disapp:

Anyway, I have to delete some of your post because it is reflected in the Events Section of this forum. I was just trying to get interested people to go to the events section.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Anyway, I have to delete some of your post because it is reflected in the Events Section of this forum. I was just trying to get interested people to go to the events section.
OK, I understand, but I think you would get more views and replies if you had ONE JGP thread in the main "Edge" forum. I visit a lot of skating boards, and when there are too many separate sub-forums on one board, I find it more time-consuming to reply. Also, it's hard to get discussions going on the junior international (and lower level) skaters because so few fans (especially in the US) have seen them skate.

Last edited:
I believe the administration wants a special section for events including the Olympics!

We keep the Edge for sundry matters relating to skating. It worked last season. Problem is if there is an inkling about Kwan or Cohen that is where the bulk of the posts will go even if it is just to be amusing.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
The audience is much larger for the more popular skaters (due to choice, TV coverage, media coverage, etc.) therefore you get bigger discussions about these skaters.

In the meantime, no-one ever hears about the junior skaters and up-and-comers. I don't even know where to GET info about them, let alone talk about them. Only the hard-core skating buffs will go through the trouble.

JMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
OK, I understand, but I think you would get more views and replies if you had ONE JGP thread in the main "Edge" forum. I visit a lot of skating boards, and when there are too many separate sub-forums on one board, I find it more time-consuming to reply. Also, it's hard to get discussions going on the junior international (and lower level) skaters because so few fans (especially in the US) have seen them skate.

but some areas do get coverage on the TV so there are some who want to go unspoiled.... so the Edge is the safe zone. We can come here and not worry (for the most part) about spoilers

I think Sylvia makes a good point. Lots of viewers (me, for instance) often just read the first few threads of the Edge and never make it down to the bottom of the menu to the events section. That's a shame because right now the junior grand prix is what's really happening. It's actual skating, whereas the topics that we are going back and forth on in the Edge right now are sort of :sheesh: LOL.

Maybe a good compromise is to put "advertising" threads in the Edge, like this one that Joe started. We could just say, "Hey, everybody, go to the Events section and check out the Andora Cup and the Tallin Cup results."

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think Sylvia makes a good point. Lots of viewers (me, for instance) often just read the first few threads of the Edge and never make it down to the bottom of the menu to the events section. That's a shame because right now the junior grand prix is what's really happening. It's actual skating, whereas the topics that we are going back and forth on in the Edge right now are sort of :sheesh: LOL.

Maybe a good compromise is to put "advertising" threads in the Edge, like this one that Joe started. We could just say, "Hey, everybody, go to the Events section and check out the Andora Cup and the Tallin Cup results."

Mathman

I agree, but the truth is it's difficult (much more so) to keep up with the JGP than it is with the regular GP. That's typically what beings to happen- the bulk of the posts will begin to shift to the Event forums once the main events get started, and then during the off-season the Edge is the "happening" place. Right now I'd say we're in transition. Just like the period after Worlds where people discuss results, etc. in the forum sections and not in "The Edge". The Edge is usually where the old "ad nauseum" debates occur.

Just my take on things.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
The audience is much larger for the more popular skaters (due to choice, TV coverage, media coverage, etc.) therefore you get bigger discussions about these skaters.

In the meantime, no-one ever hears about the junior skaters and up-and-comers. I don't even know where to GET info about them, let alone talk about them. Only the hard-core skating buffs will go through the trouble.

JMO.

Hi there Red Dog. I hope you will visit the "JGP Events" section, and download a few videos (link posted there). You might just regret your plan to exit figure skating fandom after this Oly season!

DG ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I hope you will visit the "JGP Events" section, and download a few videos (link posted there). You might just regret your plan to exit figure skating fandom after this Oly season!

DG ;)

- Thanks. I'll consider it once I get some time.

- The only thing keeping me interested right now is the anticipation of the Oly season. After this season, there is basically nothing for me to look forward to (or so I think...?) until the 2010 Olys.

- Likely everybody else (Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, Arakawa, possibly even Kostner if she ends up winning) is coming with me anyway.

- I watch skating for the sake of competition. I could care less about the nuances(sp)! That's why I find show skating to be pretty boring most of the time.

If you enjoy competitive figure skating, junior grand prix is now happening. You don't have to get interested in junior grand prix and you don't have to go to the events section.

Some posters are very keen about all aspects of competitive skating and the junior grand prix will show the next wave of grand prix competitive skaters. One may, however, be limited to Kwan/Cohen interests and this thread does not apply to them.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

JMO.

Hey Red Dog. I posted a link in the events section to VIDEO of many of the skaters in one of the recent JGP events. There is info out there, and really it's not that hard to find. You should really check out the younger skaters - there WILL be skating fan life after the top senior skaters of today begin to retire!!

DG