Amazing Race | Golden Skate

Amazing Race

Jhar55

Medalist
Amazing Race starts this week and from what I saw on there web site two of the familys have very young children, guess they won't last long. Can you just see them if and when they have to eat something nasty. ( I couldn't if it doesn't look good I am not touching it) :p Will they be able to keep up? can't wait to see. :biggrin:
I love reality shows, no over paid actress / actors, just real people some making fools out of themselfs and having a great time and giving it their all. :rock:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I Love this show as well. I've heard though that this family episode they kept them all in the USA instead of going around the globe... Anyone know if that is true or not?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The show begins on Sept 27 & yes, most of the show is filmed in North America. The children in 1 family are 15 & 17; in the other the ages are:9 & 12. Everyone else, I believe, is 18 or above.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
What????? I watch this show because I love the exotic places (and also yelling directions at the screen if they are at a place I've been to). I was already iffy on the family thing, and now we are limited to North America? I may not watch this season. Well, I'll watch the first episode, and see how it goes.

Meh. :disagree:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Oh also one of the other teams has a 16 year old as well. and one a 16 and 14 So five teams with under 18's.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
What????? I watch this show because I love the exotic places (and also yelling directions at the screen if they are at a place I've been to). I was already iffy on the family thing, and now we are limited to North America? I may not watch this season. Well, I'll watch the first episode, and see how it goes.

Meh. :disagree:

Well -- they do tend to have to deal with some rather third world conditions and some of those conditions are really not conditions you should have children running about in; they probably figure it's safer here. And perhaps for logistical reasons it may have been easier, too.

I'm not wild about the family thing either; I just think it's going to be too chaotic. The pace of the show is frantic anyway, as it should be, but if you have to keep track of 4-person teams, especially in the early going when there's what, 12 or thereabouts, of them, then it just degenerates into potential chaos. It's either going to be the best edition ever or their first official bomb. (They haven't had a crappy edition yet; they've gotta be due).

On a related note -- does anyone remember a similar show to AR that aired on one of the cable networks about the time Amazing Race 1 came along? What this entailed was 3-member teams, but the teams were set up so there was GUARANTEED to be serious acrimony -- for example, one team was a married couple and a mother-in-law who couldn't stand the wife (the feeling was mutual); another was a guy, his current girlfriend, and the girl he dumped her for; the teams were all along that line. Does anyone remember this? I can't even remember what the name of it was.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I don't remember that show, but I do remember another show called "Lost" (not the same as the series that is on now). And in this show they took three teams of two (always a two-girl, a two-guy, and one team with one girl and one guy) and blindfolded them, and then dropped them off somewhere in the world (I think the first one it was Mongolia, and the second time it was somewhere in South America. Anyways it would just be in the middle of some desert or something, and the teams had to race back to the Statue of Liberty. They had limited resources, but once they had figured out which country they were in, they had this phone time thing that they could use to call the show producers only to guess where they were, and if they got it right they were allowed to open this envelope that had some cash, food and a credit card with a certain limit on it and a visa and passport or something like that.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I actually remember hearing about that one, tho I never saw it. That for me falls under the category of "Yeah, it's cool to watch, wouldn't wanna do it, tho" :laugh:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I wouldn't have minded. I would prefer to do the Amazing Race though. Lost was only ever 3 episodes long or something lol. However, since I am Canadian I cannot even apply to be on the Amazing Race :(

The producers have said they have no plans to open up the show to non-americans in the future, however if someone wants to buy rights to the show and make an amazing race that is open to other countries they would definetly allow that...

Jhar55

Medalist
I don't know about the show Lost, but year before last ESPN had a similar show the groups were divided into two groups, they had no money, no credit cards and had to beg for rides, food they couldn't take money form people but they could buy them gas, food ect. each stop they had to do some sort of task only saw a couple days of it. It was on during the day and I had to work.
Happy to know a regular Amazing Race will be on also.

heyang

Record Breaker
AR is probably my favorite reality show. I even watched the re-runs that aired on Game Show Network this summer. Right now, they are on the AR with the jerk Jonathon and his wife Victoria. Colin really wasn't that bad - he had some good moments.

There are a lot of beautiful locations in the US. A lot Europeans come here to visit our national parks of which they have little that can compete with some of our parks. Besides, I can't imagine subjecting young kids to the trains in India - although the poverty could be a really eye opening experience for anyone.

Personally, I can't wait.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Soon the AR will be available on DVD, each race will be sold as one Season of the show.

Just wondering, who is everyone's all-time fav racers?

I liked many many racers... really liked Rob and Amber last time, but I think my very all-time fav's were the brother and sis team Blake and Paige.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I really liked Uchenna & Joyce. Such wonderful people who had a true appreciation for what they were going through, much like Chip & Kim.

As to liking HALVES of teams, I'd have to go with Reichen of Chip & Reichen (so unbeleivably cute and seemed like an incredibly sweet guy), Mary Jean (the older lady who had to go fish salt out of the lake because her husband was seasick from the earlier boat trip; very gutsy lady and I loved how she didn't hold back in her assessment of other teams; no shrinking violet she!). I've only really watched the last 3 editions, so can't remember any earlier ones - and Lord knows, on that show, the ones who you wanna slap stand out more than the ones you really liked.

heyang

Record Breaker
Was Amie the one who swore a lot - in the same race with Chuck & Millie who were the virgins after dating for 12 years. That was the same race as Chip/Reichen (who are now divorced) and Jon & Kelly.

My favorite teams have been AL & Jon (the clowns), Ken & Gerard (the brothers who could laugh at themselves and weren't judgmental about the other teams - 3rd place), Danny & Oswald (5th or 6th place?), Kris & John (Phil noted that they were the kissiest couple ever on AR - 2nd place) and Amber/Rob (of Survivor fame - 2nd place). I also liked Colin & Christie (2nd place) even though they fought a lot. A lot of people perceived him as being abusive, but there were many times where he showed great appreciation for her and there were also occasions where she showed herself as being able to 'give it back' to him. No favorite couple from season 1 - I didn't watch much the 1st season and watching the reruns on GSN, none of the teams was overly compelling.

Teams I really did not want to win because at least 1/2 the team was annoying:

Jonathon & Victoria - he verbally abused her and shoved her when they came in 2nd at a pit stop. She was somewhat whiny, but didn't deserve abuse. They later appeared on a Dr Phil special where they denied any problems. Didn't even make the final 5 teams.

Freddy & Kendra - she was a princess who couldn't appreciate the simple beauty of a child's smile. At one point in Africa, she said 'they're dirty and smelly and keep on breeding'. They won ar6.

Flo & Zach - he deserved the entire prize for putting up with her whining and quitting. Her only excuse was that she was tired and too young to be mature. Also, won.

Jhar55

Medalist
That's great can't wait to get it. I never saw the 1st season, and it will be fun watching them all over again. :clap:
Right now I am watching the re-runs of Surivor most I never watched but can now enjoy. It's on the Outdoor Channel Monday - Thursday 6 central and re-runs again at 9 central. tight now their on season 3, Africa

heyang

Record Breaker
I wasn't a fan of Brandon & Nikki's. Most of his clips had him talking about putting his trust in the Lord. I also found him to be hypocritical about not wanting to deny his principals (when he decided over Nikkis' protest that they would block 5 shots instead of drinking 1 shot of vodka) and then he fib to another team (he told another team they would go on the same flight and then changed to another flight - nothing wrong with that in this race, but he did go against his word - I would've respected him more if he had at least told one team that they were going on their own or if he never said the original statement.) He also didn't seem to respect Nikki when she expressed her opinions.