Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Campbells

Shizuka can easily win this competition if Kwan and/or Cohen botch their jumps. If it indeed goes to Shizuka, it will be:
1. Arakawa
2. Kwan (needs to have speed and higher-level spins, and land ALL jumps; no 3/3 needed but 6-triple program a must; 2 lutz, 1 flip, 1loop, 1 sal, 1 toe (or second flip), double axel)
3. Cohen (no way judges will put Rochette over Cohen, but Fumie may kick Cohen out of top 3)
4. Fumie/Rochette (interchangeable, Rochette did much better than Fumie earlier last season, but Rochette then self-destructed later in the season at Worlds)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do think October is a bit early to start analyzing strategies for the Olys and predicting the Olys. We could try during the GP just for the sake of discussion. But I still believe that we have to wait until after nationals to really start the predictions, analysis, discussions, etc. about the Olys. I mean, in non-Olympic years discussion about the Worlds doesn't really start until after the Euros (however, to be fair, there is far less anxiety and anticipation in this case).

Arakawa does have a good chance at doing well here. I think first place could be between her and Kwan, depending on how they do and the moods of the judges (remember this is good old USA). But as far as Campbell's goes I won't even bother predicting what will happen. Too early.

JMO.

soogar

Record Breaker
Shizuka will not win this competition. She seems to be a late starter. Look to Kwan or Cohen to take this competition. What scoring system will be used? If 6.0, it will go to Kwan, if COP Sasha wins.

Too bad Irina isn't skating in this comp, it would have been an easy 50 Grand for her. She always skates great early in the season.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Slutskaya seems focused on the season, and, according to the news around the Russian Test Skate this week, she wants to keep her programs to herself until her competitive season begins, which is Cup of China.

If keeping them close to the chest helps her get an Olympic gold medal, that will be worth more than the 50K (less taxes, coaches fees, and Federation take) she'd earn from Marshall's.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
antmanb said:
How many European titles has Slutskaya won? Has she beaten Bonaly and Witts records yet? IIRC Bonaly won 5 straight (and total) European Titles and Witt the same no? Was last years Irin'a 5th?

Ant

She has won 6 which puts her in a tie with Witt and Henie. She has a chance to win her 7th Euro title and 9th euro medal which puts her ahead of everyone else.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If 6.0, it will go to Kwan, if COP Sasha wins.

Nah, don't agree. There has not been a US-judged comp. with Kwan and Cohen in it that's been done under the Cop. (But Campbell's IIRC will be the first.)

If the judges were international I'd say it's possible, but otherwise I doubt it.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Since Campbell's is an international line up of skaters, I would think they'd be using international judges -- they did last year. This year, however, will be CoP.

Posters seem to be banking on past performances.

When was the last time you saw Emilie skate in competition?

Do you really believe no one in that gang of 7 improved?

The choreographers completed their job; the dressmakers finished their work; the new boot have been broken in; the injuries have healed.

Enjoy the competition but don't believe it tells you everything. Look for skaters working on their previous faults and see if there is improvement - even in the skater who comes out last. Many of these skaters expect to be in the Last Six To Skate.

And there is no Irina or Evgeni in this little competition. We will have to wait some time before we see their game plan.

And don't rely on the various Nationals that will come up before Euros and 4CC.
Can you see the USFSA sending Emile to the Olys? Maybe, but only if.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I saw Emily's performance at Liberty. Her program is very COP friendly and she has a spin with a very unique entrance. Plus she's as flexible as Sarah Hughes so she's easily getting into the Biellman position. Her jumps weren't that great at Liberty but since that was just an early competition for feedback, I highly doubt she really cared whether she landed the jumps or not. It looked like she was going easy on them. I still stand by my prediction that Emily will get that 3rd spot.

brad640

On the Ice
I think the judges might start turning on Sasha if she is still 2 footing everything like she was last season, but the 2 footing was a Nicks strategy that worked out well for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
but the 2 footing was a Nicks strategy that worked out well for her.

How do you know that? (Just curious- did he say it in an article or something?)

antmanb

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
I think the judges might start turning on Sasha if she is still 2 footing everything like she was last season, but the 2 footing was a Nicks strategy that worked out well for her.

When was Sasha two-footing everything? I don't recall her two-footing anything at worlds and she didn't compete on teh GP through injury...did she two foot lots of jumps at nationals?

Ant

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:
Well I saw Emily's performance at Liberty. Her program is very COP friendly and she has a spin with a very unique entrance. Plus she's as flexible as Sarah Hughes so she's easily getting into the Biellman position. Her jumps weren't that great at Liberty but since that was just an early competition for feedback, I highly doubt she really cared whether she landed the jumps or not. It looked like she was going easy on them. I still stand by my prediction that Emily will get that 3rd spot.

I am so impressed by Emily's choreography this year, especially the spiral sequence. She has deep edges and lovely positions throughout the program. I agree she will score very well this season. The best thing about Emily is that she owns her skating and has personal conviction unlike Kimmie who looks like she has no feeling behind her eyes and is a pawn of Pam Gregory, and not in a good way like Sarah and Robyn.

antmanb said:
When was Sasha two-footing everything? I don't recall her two-footing anything at worlds and she didn't compete on teh GP through injury...did she two foot lots of jumps at nationals?

Sasha 2 footed many jumps throughout the competition at worlds. Also at Marshall's at the end of the season she 2 footed almost every jump. Peggy was indignant watching her because of all the 2 footing.

Nicks said last season that Sasha could 2 foot to help her keep from falling because 2 footing does not carry a mandatory deduction. It worked well for her because she didn't get negative GoE at worlds for her 2 footed jumps and she was so far ahead of everyone else on spins that she was very securely in second.

jesslily

Final Flight
Probably two footed is a way to learn triple jumps for many skaters. Some jumping beans here learn triples this way. So even they can not land the jumps, but they never fall badly to hurt themselves. They stand on two feet. On good days they land triples on one foot and on bad days they land on two feet.

antmanb

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Yes, Sasha two-footed jumps in both SP and FS at Nationals '05.

Well goodness if she did it in all of one competition then she must be a serial two footer who has a strategy to two foot all her jumps then :scratch:

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Sasha 2 footed many jumps throughout the competition at worlds. Also at Marshall's at the end of the season she 2 footed almost every jump. Peggy was indignant watching her because of all the 2 footing.
QUOTE]

I don't know about Marshalls because we don't get televised over here but off the top of my head i don't remember any two footed jumps at worlds - can you name the ones she did this on to help jog my memory?

Cheers
Ant

Kasey

Medalist
brad640 said:
Nicks said last season that Sasha could 2 foot to help her keep from falling because 2 footing does not carry a mandatory deduction. It worked well for her because she didn't get negative GoE at worlds for her 2 footed jumps and she was so far ahead of everyone else on spins that she was very securely in second.

I'm a CoP idiot, but I thought that 2-footing was supposed to downgrade the jump, like the cheating did?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An underrotated AND two-footed jump would get downgraded and also get -GOE. If the jump was fully rotated and two-footed, it would get -GOE but no downgrade.

I think that the judges might take more off the GOE, though, if many of the jumps were two-footed, and the PCS Skating Skills score might possibly take a hit.

But probably not for Sasha. After all, the callers accept her egregious flutz as a lutz, and the judges don't take much off her GOE for flutzing.

However, Irina rarely two-foots jumps and if Irina skates clean, Sasha would have zero chance of winning if her technical marks are getting dinged for faulty jumps. Irina's tech scores are high, and Irina's PCS scores were higher than Sasha's at Worlds: 30.34 to 30.08 in the SP, where Irina wasn't clean; and 66.07 to 62.12 in the FS. And if Kwan has her act together and can perform clean, CoP-proficient programs, Sasha can't afford to give up points to her either.

Last edited:
From my view, it seems that Sasha lands her jumps with the free foot very close to the landing foot and then there is a swoosh to follow through. I wouldn't say she actually double foots them because to me it is not as clear as Oksana who double foots like the most of anyone.

I would give Sasha the benefit of the doubt but I will look closer this season.

Joe